Ripe avocodo

Options
tashatashae
tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
What to do with this.avocodo I dont have.experience with this help! !

Replies

• cotton1021
    cotton1021 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I add them to my salad:smile:
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Is it ripe (just soft to the touch, gives a little when pushed on), or overripe (very soft)?

My favorite thing to do with avocado is to just cut it open and eat it.

Very carefully take a knife and slice all the way around the avocado lengthwise down to the pit.
    Twist and pull and the avocado should pull apart, with the seed staying in one side or the other. Leave the pit in the side where it stays, cover with plastic wrap and you can save it for a day if you don't want to eat the whole thing at once (they are healthy but high in calories and fat (good fat, though).

The side without the pit is ready to be eaten. Salt it a little and use a spoon to scoop it out. Eat.

Avocados are my favorite all time food. There are 7 in my house right now as my kiddos love them too. They can be used if overripe as a spread for sandwiches or to make guacamole. When ripe, eat as above, or put slices on sandwiches, in omelets, on salads... Everything is better with avocado in my world :)
  • marilyn6180
    Options
    I grew up having mashed up avocado spread on bread with a little salt. Yum! Just scoop it out of shell and use a fork to mash it up. A little lemon juice keeps it from turning brown (but if you eat it right away that is no problem).
    Cut it up raw on salads, make guacamole (avocado, onion, tomato, lemon juice, garlic, hot sauce if desired) use with corn chips if they are on your plan.
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I put a few slices on salads, sandwiches, and wraps.
  • tashatashae
    Options
    Thanx yall.. I dnt think I can just eat it plain with a spoon like suggested but nice ideas.
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Avocados are my crack.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I love them with almost everything. A little salt, pepper and lemon juice on them is really good. Sometimes I substitute light soy sauce instead of lemon juice as well.
  • redhen101
    Options
    toast whole wheat bread, top with slices of avocado, sprinkle with a little seasoning salt, top with a couple strips of crisp bacon. Eat. YUM! Guacamole & tortilla chips, cube it and toss it in a salad - wickedly good in Caesar salad :) anything with avacodo tastes good. hey, did you know you can also make avacodo ice cream??
  • tashatashae
    Options
    Eww icecream how you do that?
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half, drizzle some olive oil on it. Grill it flesh down until there are some char marks on it. Then dice up some tomatoes and red onion and put it in the pit. Squeeze some lime juice over top. It's like eating a deconstructed guacamole and it is so easy and tasty.

Or, if you don't have tomato and red onion handy:

Toast + fried or hard boiled egg + avocado + mustard = heavenly.
  • redhen101
    Options
    Eww icecream how you do that?

i don't know, had it at a friend's house - she made it and it was GOOD! light green colour, tasted like vanilla ice cream but better. Saw a recipe for avocado cheesecake with raspberry sauce this morning too.
  • iampam4399
    iampam4399 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Spread a little mayonaisse on a cracker (a saltine, or anything that you have on hand). Top with a slice of avocado. Squirt some lemon juice and worchestershire sauce on. Pop in mouth. Share with friends! Repeat! Enjoy!!!
  • holleyfine
    holleyfine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try them in an omelette.
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If they aren't too soft, I love them in a salad, or just drizzled with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. If they are very ripe, I make guacamole - mash up with lime juice, crushed garlic, jalapeno, and salt and pepper.
  • sassy_sadie
    sassy_sadie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mash it up, add citrus (lemon or lime juice), some cilantro, and serve with a grilled or broiled salmon fillet.
  • fungirl1234
    Options
    i like the salad wrap sandwiches and another is pizza topping
  • fungirl1234
    Options
    even make guacamole and replace sour cream with it
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. She has a whole section on avocodos and yummy things to do with them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If it's very ripe and mushy, I'd use it as replacement for mayo on a sandwich, in a salad dressing or mixed into tuna or egg salad.

If it's still pretty firm, slice it and add to salads or sandwichs, or chop into guacamole to eat with crackers or veggie sticks.
  • HappyWife04
    HappyWife04 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Make Guacamole. It's a nice healthy side for a grilled chicken breast or fish.

I add tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and cilantro. about a tsp of each for one avocado. It just gives it an extra kick. Or i just mash my avocado with a little salt to use as spread.