From 169 to 130 (with pics, hopefully)

Options
Edit: having trouble with pics, but hopefully they're working now.

Ok I have been very nervous to put these photos out there, so be kind. :P

I started out after I saw some unflattering photos of me. I have a lot of health issues (lupus, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrom, chronic migraine) that left me feeling pretty lousy most of the time. I couldn't do a lot physically, so most of what I did has been focused on diet. I did start walking though right off the bat.

My husband and I had been planning our wedding but circumstances dictated that we needed to go ahead and get married on paper right away (for the Navy). So we went to a minister who married us on a weekday morning with very little fuss. She had a friend of ours take some photos and when I saw them I realized just how big I had gotten. Later that week my doctor's office weighed me at 169 pounds (I'm 5'4"). This is actually the most flattering of those photos, because I deleted the rest.

180116_10150132565421276_601091275_8556159_3321572_n-1.jpg

I came to MFP a couple of weeks later. This was two years ago. It's taken me a long time to get where I am because I took a couple of long breaks. So I lost about 20 lbs before our actual wedding ceremony.

BensWeddingSerina036.jpg

After the wedding I meant to lose more but I had a long plateau. It was about 3 months of logging with no progress. I just gained and lost the same 2 pounds over and over. That's when Helloitsdan told me about full diet breaks, and I decided to take one. I ended up taking a longer break than I intended, but it was good for me. I didn't lose any progress. When I came back I lost another 10 lbs. In May 2012 my husband took this picture. I actually thought I might be done at this point.

DSCN4668_zps8e2ca465.jpg

I took another break while we spent 3 weeks moving from Connecticut to southern Georgia. My husband deployed a couple of weeks later. While he was gone I decided to try to get a little leaner. I was feeling a lot better physically at this point so I added more exercise. Still not a lot, but I started doing pilates and going for long walks. A few weeks ago I hit 130 pounds. I bought size 6 jeans for the first time in my life.

DSCN5729_zpsfbce63c2.jpg

So this is where I am right now. I'm not totally happy with where I am, but when I compare to where I was two years ago I'm proud of my progress.

So, in summary, be patient with yourself. It's true that it took me 2 years to lose nearly 40 lbs, but I have friends who have lost that much and have already gained it back in the same amount of time. My motto has always been not to change anything unless I could do it forever, and that has worked for me.

Replies

• purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! BTW, the pictures are not showing up.
  • vnovit
    vnovit Posts: 101
    Options
    canrt c pics
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Think I fixed it, let me know.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It worked! Congratulations, you look great!
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look awesome! Congratulations!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The difference between the last two pictures, in particular was fantastic.

A lot of us go from your first (not that heavy) to your middle range pictures and say 'yay! I made it!' and quit. But you obvious were really proud of yourself in that second to last picture and then kept going and you can still really see the difference.

Congratulations! You look wonderful.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You look so good! You are working that bikini girl! :bigsmile: Congrats on the progress you've made, its so encouraging to see other women achieve their goals :happy:
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT!!!!! I hope one day I will look as good in a bikini as well.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I thought you looked beautiful in both pics actually. Good job though :)
  • jillmichelle
    jillmichelle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! And your story is really helpful for me - and I'm sure many others - who get frustrated and quit...and never return. So your ability to come back, stick with it, and reach your goal is amazing. I hope you are very proud of yourself!

What were your biggest challenges and how did you overcome them?
  • Lilpixie39
    Options
    You look great.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. You stick with it even in spite of your health issues. Awesome job!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! And your story is really helpful for me - and I'm sure many others - who get frustrated and quit...and never return. So your ability to come back, stick with it, and reach your goal is amazing. I hope you are very proud of yourself!

What were your biggest challenges and how did you overcome them?

Biggest challenges:

1. Impatience. At the same time I started counting calories, a lot of people I knew started HCG and lost a lot of weight really fast. It was hard to stick with what I was doing.

2. Illness. Being chronically ill makes everything difficult.

3. Cutting calories too much. In the beginning I was doing 1200 calories, like most women who tell MFP they want to lose 2 lbs. I learned from the road map thread that cutting so much wasn't helping me. I believe that's at least part of why I stalled out for 3 months.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • jearehart32
    Options
    I am so proud of you! You look awesome....Thank you for sharing your photos with everyone. :)
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Wow. You should be very happy with the way you look. Awesome work.
  • zselph
    zselph Posts: 1
    Options
    amazing, great work
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Absolutely gorgeous ....... thanks for sharing :drinker:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Are you 5'5" tall? I am also 130 and size 6 and am 5'5". You look great! Congrats!
  • JellyRabbit
    JellyRabbit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Amazing well done :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You look great!!! I'm not sure if its my monitor but in the first picture i thought you had a wild hairstyle until i realized there was a plant behing you. Haha!

Anyway, fantastic progress!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!