What's so wrong about a thigh gap?

Options

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    ummmm, that's not "proof" of anything. marilyn monroe was worshipped like 60 years ago and the men who worshipped her are mostly dead or like 90. that look is not what men want anymore.

While I agree that it is not proof of anything necessarily how on earth do you think you can speak for all men? From what I can tell, most men don't give a cr@p whether a woman has a thigh gap or not.

/ end thread....please
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The problem with the thigh gap is that it has become associated with unhealthy diet habits and malnutrition in the eyes of most people on here. The reason is because people incorrectly perceive it as a sign of being "thin" when it is in fact just a sign of a specific frame type. When people who do not possess this very specific frame type/bone structure push toward losing enough weight to get one as a goal, it is associated with eating disorders, because disordered eating habits such as starvation diets are the only way possible to obtain it if you don't already have the frame type for it. And if you DO have the frame type for it, you'd probably still have one even if you were overweight.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    One of my goals is to have a thigh gap. But that it only because I have had one before, when I was at my smallest (and still weighed 135 at 5'2.) So mine is a realistic goal that I know I can achieve because I already have. Plus, chaffing sucks!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    And if you DO have the frame type for it, you'd probably still have one even if you were overweight.

Yes. Overweight and I have a slight thigh gap. I'm built like everyone else in my family: carry weight in the belly, fit legs, wide hips and no butt. It must be so glamorous to be me... :laugh:
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    i'm not speaking for "all men", but marilyn monroe is not a sex symbol anymore.

What?? She's the textbook example.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    getting off on pics of a person who probably died before these people were even born is strange to me. sorry if you have an issue with that.
    Are you for real?

Yes, Mandy. Why are you confused? Men, yes, all men, are now "worshiping" Kim Kardashian. Well, except for those who are dead or in their 90's,

I never claimed men are worshipping kim kardashian. I claimed that if people want to prove some point that men don't like thigh gap, marilyn monroe is a terrible example because she's been dead for decades. If nobody can find a better example than her, then they failed to prove their point.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    i'm not speaking for "all men", but marilyn monroe is not a sex symbol anymore.

What?? She's the textbook example.

no, really she's not. maybe in the 50's she was.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    getting off on pics of a person who probably died before these people were even born is strange to me. sorry if you have an issue with that.
    Are you for real?

Yes, Mandy. Why are you confused? Men, yes, all men, are now "worshiping" Kim Kardashian. Well, except for those who are dead or in their 90's,

I never claimed men are worshipping kim kardashian. I claimed that if people want to prove some point that men don't like thigh gap, marilyn monroe is a terrible example because she's been dead for decades. If nobody can find a better example than her, then they failed to prove their point.

Well, my husband LOVES my thigh gap whenever he gets to see it, and I'm way fatter than either of the above referenced sex symbols.

I'm pretty sure I can speak for a large majority of men who just assume the phrase "thigh gap" means he's about to get some. So maybe they do love it.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Are you for real?

Well, my husband LOVES my thigh gap whenever he gets to see it, and I'm way fatter than either of the above referenced sex symbols.

I'm pretty sure I can speak for a large majority of men who just assume the phrase "thigh gap" means he's about to get some. So maybe they do love it.

okay
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    Okay, don't throw things at me, but it seems like anytime anyone posts anything about wanting or having a thigh gap, it's received negatively? Why?

I suppose I should add that on my journey (I am purposely stalled out right now, due to pregnancy just being healthy and still logging and such just not as heavy handed) I lost 106lbs with good eating and Jillian Micheal's, walking, swimming and hiking and ended up with an awesome thigh gap...never had one before, so I think it's kind of cool that my thighs don't touch...what am I missing here? I don't lift heavy... YET, so maybe it's the inner thigh muscles that I haven't built up yet...

Probably received negatively because people want a thigh gap and go to extreme measures to get one. Personally, id love to have one but i never will...even at my thinnest i didn't have one. I've been told its because my hips are narrow and generally people who get the thigh gaps easily have wider hips.

I personally don't like hearing people say they'd do anything for one and they need to see one to be healthy. Its not an accurate measurement of being healthy and fit for most people.

Although congrats on having one!!
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    And if you DO have the frame type for it, you'd probably still have one even if you were overweight.

Yes. Overweight and I have a slight thigh gap. I'm built like everyone else in my family: carry weight in the belly, fit legs, wide hips and no butt. It must be so glamorous to be me... :laugh:

OH dear...you just described me! LOL! I have no butt...however I was not aware of how wide my hips are apparently! LOL
  • Anewstart2013
    Options
    I know I am personaly aiming for a thigh gap, BUT I was a dancer for years then packed on 145lbs in 3 years (do to illness and steroid treatment for it yucky) and when I started exercising it freaked me out! Why are my legs rubbing together?!?! Its not that I think its hot attractive or whatever I just always had one and hate the feeling of my legs together lol hopefully it will reappear and if not oh well life goes on and i still have a great rack and great long lean legs!
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a thigh gap. Just like there is nothing wrong with brown hair or green eyes or white skin.

Thigh gap should not be a goal. Just like having green eyes should not be a goal. Both of them are just a fact, a trait.

Having a thigh gap is not a positive, it's not a negative, it's just a thing.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I know I am personaly aiming for a thigh gap, BUT I was a dancer for years then packed on 145lbs in 3 years (do to illness and steroid treatment for it yucky) and when I started exercising it freaked me out! Why are my legs rubbing together?!?! Its not that I think its hot attractive or whatever I just always had one and hate the feeling of my legs together lol hopefully it will reappear and if not oh well life goes on and i still have a great rack and great long lean legs!

^this. if you already had one then it's okay to aim for one, otherwise it's like an unnattainable thing that can drive you nuts and to food issues to get.
  • AvalonAdelaide
    Options
    I miss my thigh gap :(
    Not only do my thighs look a bit flappy now but I've also gone through three pairs of pants in three months now, purely because my thighs rub so much together that it destroys the pants!

I agree with the fact that people shouldn't starve themselves and do anything to gain a 'gap', but hey, it's a nice goal to have.
    + wearing short shorts in the summer time it so much more comfortable when you feel satisfied with your legs/thighs :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Again, you do not need a "thigh gap" - as in standing with both feet together and having space between your thighs - in order to have your legs not rub. I will never have a "thigh gap" unless I am very underweight but at normal healthy weight my thighs don't rub together and I have a gap between my legs when standing normally - it's not the same thing.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I never even knew what a thigh gap was until I saw people complaining about them on MFP. My BMI and body fat % are well within healthy ranges. I've always had one and I think it looks just fine. My husband loves my body just the way it is. Since the only two people who matter (me and my man) both like my thigh gap, it's all good. Anybody who doesn't like it or has something nasty to say about it can screw off.

I will agree that a thigh gap is not necessary to be hot and people shouldn't go to extreme and unhealthy lengths to get a physical trait that doesn't naturally occur in their body type. Love your body and focus on making it the best, healthiest version of YOU, not anyone else! :drinker:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well, without over-thinking it, if someone told me they wanted a thigh gap, I would think they were kind of conceited and not very focused on more important things in life. I've never thought about it, or really read about it, but it seems like a weirdo thing to fixate when you first encounter the idea. Maybe talking about it makes it seem normal somehow, but wow, I guess I'd rather bench press the person with the thigh gap.

That being said, if you have a thigh gap, cool. But if you talk about it all the time, or wanting it, it would not be cool. So thigh gap okay. Obsessing about thigh gap, not so much.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Again, you do not need a "thigh gap" - as in standing with both feet together and having space between your thighs - in order to have your legs not rub. I will never have a "thigh gap" unless I am very underweight but at normal healthy weight my thighs don't rub together and I have a gap between my legs when standing normally - it's not the same thing.

That's the problem, I had no idea that the two were different...matter of fact I didn't even know that it was possible to have that much space between your thighs until I google searched images to see what they were talking about and that was way after I posted this topic...

I am a size 12(and almost 7 months pregnant) feet shoulder width apart my legs don't touch and I LOVE it....
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Are you for real?

CLEARLY!