Whole Chicken.... Help me!

Options
aakokopelli7
aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
So, I when I normally do a whole crock pot chicken, I just throw it in there with some lawrys seasoning on top and let it go.

Now I have one of those cut up whole chickens. I want to do the same thing but I want to make it more low calorie and lower in fat. It always seems to be swimming in fat juices at the end. So what can I do to reduce?

I have googled this and I didn't really come up with something like just putting the whole thing in. Also, what are some other seasoning I can use? I have picky eaters in my house so it's ca't be too crazy!

Replies

• essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I always make sure the skin is off. There is so much fat in the skin, it's ridiculous. I use a little bit of granulated garlic, some poultry seasoning, sea salt and black pepper. I also sometimes put in rosemary and paprika. My kids are pretty picky too, but they love my chicken. And I use the same seasoning in the crock pot or baking in the oven. Good luck!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    You could remove the skin to cut down on fat. I like to use salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary to roast mine. You could use light ginger and sesame salad dressing, light Italian salad dressing, salsa, a healthy recipe can of soup like cream of mushroom, celery, or chicken, or bbq sauce.
  • aakokopelli7
    Options
    These are some great ideas! I actually have some fresh Rosemary, so I'm going to throw that in and take off the skin!

Should I reduce time so it doesn't burn or dry out?
  • laffinggnome
    Options
    Whenever I make chicken in the oven or in a crockpot I pour off the juices at the end of the cooking time. Put them in a bowl in the fridge and allow to cool. The fat will harden and rise to the top. When it has hardened just discard the fat and you have a very tasty no fat chicken broth.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    When I do bone-in chicken in the crock pot (whole or pieced) I will make a "support" out of tin-foil balls. This raises the meat up out of the juice/fat drippings, so they aren't resting in it, and does give it more of a roasted appearance.
  • ck_vance1
    Options
    Putting it on a rack in the crockpot would cut a lot of calories...all the fat would drip off and also take the skin off before cooking...I like lemon pepper or rosemary on it.
  • janewhite2627
    janewhite2627 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    FYI: You can wad up some aluminum foil ( 3 pieces) and put them under a whole chicken in the crockpot if you want it to sit atop and drain. That way the grease drains off the chicken isn't mushy.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Pull all the skin off, put the chicken in, and then cover it with a can of italian style canned tomatoes, or mexican style if you prefer. Cook. The meat will have some flavor but it won't be overwhelming. This works well with pork and beef too.
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You could roast the chicken too. I rub with a little olive oil, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. I roast at 400 for about 35 - 40 mins, and discard the skin before serving.

It's really easy to discard the fat from chicken cooked in the crockpot when the liquid is cold. If possible, make it the day before and just skim off the fat solids.
  • scamp76
    scamp76 Posts: 26
    Options
    When I do bone-in chicken in the crock pot (whole or pieced) I will make a "support" out of tin-foil balls. This raises the meat up out of the juice/fat drippings, so they aren't resting in it, and does give it more of a roasted appearance.

This is a fabulous idea!!! Love it! Definitely going to try this.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash makes a salt free seasoning that is very close to original Lawery's. I agree that either raising the chicken (to thereby save the broth) or taking the fat off before cooking will make a huge difference.
  • chette78
    chette78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There is so much you can do to make that chicken healthy! Especially with Rosemary...One of my fav herbs....If you have a cast iron skillet...They go in the oven and are perfect for baking chicken...if you dont have one, that ok too....Remove the skin...Once you do that take your Rosemary and some garlic and chopp it up and throw it rub it on the chicken inside outside all around . .. you can add some low sodium chicken broth so it stays moist to the bottom of the skillet...Throw in some Italian seasonings and some Basil if you have it...

You can cut up a few tomatoes and Potatoes and maybe some broccoli and throw around this too....It comes out perfect..Bake until chicken reaches 170 and potatoes are soft...For a little extra flavor add some Italian dressing (Good Seasons) make it with olive oil and only use a about 3 TBS and replace the rest with red wine vinegar....shake up real good and throw that over everything....I do this all the time...Of course just an idea...Make it your own!
  • aakokopelli7
    Options
    Wow, Everyone has so many good ideas and tips! Thank you so much! I make this at least once a week and you've all given me so many new things to try, I can't wait!