I'm Scared

Options
I have been going crazy with diet and exercise the past couple months and at first I lost 35 pounds but the past two weeks I have not seen any loss. Is there something I am doing wrong? I make all the right choices and I am moving as much as I can. I just don't want to fail this time because if I do I will die no doubt about it. I need help here some helpful advice.

Replies

• Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Its natural though.... but just keep pushing.... all the best :)
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss thus far!:) I hit a plateau as well, just keep pushing!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's the typical problem: You're undereating. Big time. You're a grown man. Eat like one.

ETA: I see that the replies are also the typical replies - blanket advice without any context.
  • booker2shoes
    booker2shoes Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Everyone plateaus at some point. Sometimes we have to switch something up. Maybe you've been doing the same exercises for a while and your body is becoming accustomed to them. Don't be discouraged! Look at how far you've come! 35 lbs. is an amazing feat. Keep your chin up and keep at it!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Be honest with your eating and logging. Make sure you change your BMR after every 10lbs or so!! Also, Plateaus are normal - Make sure you measure your progress as well. Those scales don't show all the progress. Progress Pictures are also very helpful.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Maybe recalculate your TDEE?

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865230-resources-and-references
  • booker2shoes
    booker2shoes Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also looked at your food log. You eat a lot of carbs and not nearly enough protein. I just heard a broadcast on NPR the other day stating that studies have shown that higher protein/lower carb diets and mediterranean diets have the best long-term weight loss and are easier to stick to. In addition, if you're hitting a plateau, maybe switching that up without overdoing calories will help get you over the hump.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    It's the typical problem: You're undereating. Big time. You're a grown man. Eat like one.

Holy crap on a cracker, this! I am a 126lb female, and I typically eat 600-800 calories more than you're getting per day.
    If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    is definitely a good place to start to get a better idea of what your intake should be.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You're a grown man. Eat like one.

This. And LIFT man!
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!! I lost 13 pounds in my first 2 weeks and now its been 2 weeks of nothing. I am doing the same thing, work out 7 days a week, I am getting frustrated!!:explode:
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I understand your fear and that's normal. I fear that if I stop making progress I will lose my motivation and quit. But, look at your profile. You have the best motivation there is to keep going...your wife and kids.

You have hit a plateau. It sucks, but it means that your body got used to what you were doing so it's time to change it up. Increase your exercise, add weights or walk/run faster. Whatever you are doing change it up.

I peaked at a few days in your diary and I agree with the others that you are not eating enough. Cut down on the sodium, you are over on all the days I looked at. Make sure you are avoiding processed and boxed foods as much as possible.

You can do this. Don't be scared. Be proud of what you have accomplished so far and use that to keep the momentum going. Good luck.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How accurate are you logging your food? Are your weighing, measuring and logging absolutely everything?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I know you have a lot to lose, but 800ish calories a day is not the way to do it. You are getting the exact expected results from doing that- hitting a wall. Also, it seems you didn't log between Dec 26 and Jan 11? What happened in there? Staying consistent and eating an appropriate amount of calories will be the road to success.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You're eating far too little, especially for a man.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

ETA: I see that the replies are also the typical replies - blanket advice without any context.

Taso, did you notice that he has 300+ pounds to lose? Cut him a break, 1800 a day is totally reasonable for him. Evn down to 1500 would be okay if he's careful about nutrition.

To the OP - Stick with your 1800 calories - but eat them all, and get lots more protein than you have been getting.

It is completely normal to have weeks where you lose nothing. It will start up again - just keep doing what you are doing. None of us has a straight-downward-line of weight loss. There are always times where it slows, then starts back up again. Do not give up! You've done a great job - keep it going.

The only way you fail is if you quit!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    As well as following the advice about checking out the roadmap, you might also want to read the following link too:

http://www.burnthefat.com/metabolic_damage.html

Eat and be healthy :flowerforyou:

ETA: to include, people should look back through the diary quite a few days, because he is definitely under eating on more days than not as Taso said
  • Poecile
    Poecile Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You've been doing great, but everyone who said it's been right: You aren't eating enough. You need to eat AT LEAST1200cals a day, AND you need to eat back the calories you work out. Your body isn't getting enough nutrition. Cut the sodium down, add more water (tea works too, if you like it)!

I'm kind of in the same boat when it comes to a plateau. The scale doesn't want to move. I know it probably seems like little consolation, but even if the scale doesn't seem to move, check your inches! Waist, hips, bust, arms, even thighs. I haven't seen much movement on the scale in the past week, but I have seen some inches coming off!

Personally, I think measurements are just as important (if not more so) than what the scale says.

Don't get discouraged! It's all about eating healthy (that includes eating enough) and fitness! :flowerforyou:
  • taimih
    taimih Posts: 14
    Options
    If your diary is accurate, you're not eating nearly enough.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Taso, did you notice that he has 300+ pounds to lose? Cut him a break, 1800 a day is totally reasonable for him. Context.

To the OP - Stick with your 1800 - but eat them all, and get lots more protein than you have been getting.

It is completely normal to have weeks where you lose nothing. It will start up again - just keep doing what you are doing. None of us has a straight-downward-line of weight loss. There are always times where it slows, then starts back up again. Do not give up! You've done a great job - keep it going.

Did you look at the actual logging? He's not even eating the 1800. He's only eating about 800-1200 cals a day, assuming he's logging everything.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Taso, did you notice that he has 300+ pounds to lose? Cut him a break, 1800 a day is totally reasonable for him. Context.

To the OP - it is completely normal to have weeks where you lose nothing. It will start up again - just keep doing what you are doing. None of us has a straight-downward-line of weight loss. There are always times where it slows, then starts back up again. Do not give up! You've done a great job - keep it going.

How far back in his diary did you go? He's only been eating close to 1800 recently. Before that it was averaging around 1000. Plateaus will happen to us all, but I think, in this case, he really should be eating consistently at the 1800 mark for an extended period of time to gauge his results.