Pre-workout??

Options
What does everyone think of the preworkout shakes that are advertised in supplement stores? My boyfriend just bought be a brancd called Assault, and although I do notice it gives me energy for the gym, I don't know if I feel comfortable drinking it because of what it does to my body? I'm not a scientist so reading the label doesn't help me. Can anyone give me advice on this?!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think of the preworkout shakes that are advertised in supplement stores? My boyfriend just bought be a brancd called Assault, and although I do notice it gives me energy for the gym, I don't know if I feel comfortable drinking it because of what it does to my body? I'm not a scientist so reading the label doesn't help me. Can anyone give me advice on this?!

They aren't really needed, nor are they terrible for you. Personally I think MP Assault is mediocre
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If I wanted to take a pre workout supplement, I'd go to a drug store and get generic caffeine pills.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If I wanted to take a pre workout supplement, I'd go to a drug store and get generic caffeine pills.

2nd
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    meh...I usually just have a banana or a handful of almonds or something pre-workout and my protein shake after...and then a big protein packed dinner.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

or you can just make some coffee :)
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Love em
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I work out around 5-6am and I do not drink coffee. Pre workout drinks always wake me up and get me moving. But I am sure caffeine pills or coffee would do the same thing.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Which is what I do, but if I wanted more caffeine than that, I'd go with the pills. I don't want to drink 5 cups and piss myself in the middle of a set.
  • Nekhet
    Nekhet Posts: 380
    Options
    I love the ON PRE-Workout Energy Drink (Fruit Punch) it is awesome and I do not get the jitters from it at all and gives me energy to get through my P90X workouts.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I usually have a Chobani yogurt 1 hr before my workout.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Which is what I do, but if I wanted more caffeine than that, I'd go with the pills. I don't want to drink 5 cups and piss myself in the middle of a set.

psh. i consider my workout a failure if i haven't pissed or crapped myself. :laugh:
  • stofteland
    stofteland Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Save money and have a banana and a couple of cheese sticks. If you need a energy bump try a cup of coffee without all the goodies. One tablespoon of light vanilla soy milk and a little sweetener does the job well.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    They are not needed but I use them anyway. Even placebo can help at my age :)
  • GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    You can also try other brands of Pre workouts that don't have beta alanine or niacin in them. That's what usually gives you the tingles and the jingles. I personally use Assault on some occasions...when I am dragging *kitten* and need a boost before going to the gym or if I have a big workout day scheduled.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    psh. i consider my workout a failure if i haven't pissed or crapped myself. :laugh:
    Change your pre-workout supplementation - 3 Alli pills, some olive oil and a couple slices of cheese. That ought to help. You're welcome, just trying to do my part.
  • seamanny
    seamanny Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Save money and have a banana and a couple of cheese sticks. If you need a energy bump try a cup of coffee without all the goodies. One tablespoon of light vanilla soy milk and a little sweetener does the job well.

I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but I had a banana before my last P90X workout and I breezed through the workout (relatively speaking, of course).
  • courtneybrooke27
    courtneybrooke27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone!!! Maybe I'll continue to take it on the days that I go to the gym straight from work, I don't want to take caffeine pills or drink coffee around 5pm otherwise I'll never sleep... they affect me that much! But if it's a weekend morning, maybe I'll just stick with the caffeine... no point in drinking coffee and having a preworkout!
    So far Assault is the best preworkout I've tried... I really liked C4, I felt it gave me a great boost, but made me feel really tingly and jittery... one time I went to a store to get gas before hitting the gym, and I was trying to give the cashier change but dropped it on the counter because I was shaking so bad... yikes! haha. I absolutely HATED the preworkout Craze. It tasted SO awful and did nothing for my energy level! Assault tastes great, gives me loads of energy to push myself, and I don't get the jitters!! Blue Raspberry and Raspberry Lemonade are my favs :)
  • courtneybrooke27
    courtneybrooke27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can also try other brands of Pre workouts that don't have beta alanine or niacin in them. That's what usually gives you the tingles and the jingles. I personally use Assault on some occasions...when I am dragging *kitten* and need a boost before going to the gym or if I have a big workout day scheduled.

I hate the jingles and tingles!! There's no need for my lips and ears to feel that way! lol. Did you ever get a weird feeling like that after drinking it??
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    nah.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I currently use Assault but it makes me retain water. Probably due to the creatine in it. You need to drink LOTS of water if you take any pre workouts, especially something with creatine.

I've also tried Jack3d (before they reformulated it), Cellucor C4, and No Explode. Jack3d was by far my favorite- it gave me a swift kick in the rear thanks to the chemical motivation (or placebo... whatevs). I have no clue if it works as well now that they took out the DMAA. I did like No Explode and C4, they just didn't get me jump started the same. Assault is probably my least favorite because of the water retention and it doesn't seem to work as well.

Here's the thing: every few years a new chemical is discovered that becomes all the rage for preworkouts,weight loss, etc. Then, young athletes start dropping dead and it's linked to the substances. DMAA was one of them. Long story short, they seem to make me go that extra mile and lift that extra rep, but who knows just how harmful they are in the long run? It's better to get natural stuff like everyone is suggesting. I happen to like them; I do what I wantttt.