5k, 10k, half marathon

Options

Replies

• smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I want to do 2 half marathons this year. One in April and one later in the year. Will probably do a 10k and looking at a 10 miler. But we'll see.
  • Tsmartin07
    Options
    I'm do one race a month...so far i've done 2 5k's this month, another one next month and then I have my first 10K. I started with C25k and now I run outside and do the body revolution program by Jillian Michaels.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    First full marathon this year on May 5 (Flying Pig in Cincinnati, OH). I'm kicking myself for signing up, because training this winter (so far) has sucked! :mad:

I'm using the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan. You can use the Hal Higdon plans with walking, too (http://halhigdon.com/training/50936/Walking-5K-Training). I used his plan to train for my first and second half marathons.
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the Couch to 5K program? (C25K) That is what I used. At first the running is very minimal and the time running builds over several weeks. Once you complete that program they also have a training program for 10K - C210K. Make sure to follow you doctor's advice and listen to your body to avoid injury! Good luck!

The problem with most of these is that they are built on an assumption of a certain running/walking speed. If you're jog isn't as fast as theirs, you're not going to be at a full 5k by the end of the program. You'll be able to jog for 30-35 minutes, but at 4 mph, that's only about 2/3 of the full run.

I would suggest applying the same idea, but without the restraint of the timer. Just walk 5k, but throw a certain amount of jogging in every few minutes or at certain distances and just repeat until you've finished. Then every week (maybe more often), increase the amount of jogging you do each time. Eventually the jog will spread out to cover then entire 5k.

What I did was based on the Color Run and the idea that there was a 'check point' every kilometer. I would walk briskly and then when I came up on those 'check points' I would run through them. Then as I felt more comfortable, I would start running a little earlier and a little longer through each check point. Eventually I got to where I could pretty much jog out the whole thing in about 45 minutes.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first race (10K) on March 17 and I am signed up for a 195-mile, 12-person relay race in August which is my main focus for this year. I hope to get one or two 10k races in between April and July. I started running in November 2012 and have been working hard to build my endurance and pace.
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stick to at least one running event of at least 5k each month. Actually in the middle of a 'Frozen Nose' series in OKC. Did a 5k in January, then have an 8k and 10k in February to finish off the series. Not sure what the rest of the year will look like yet, but I imagine there will be a color run (or two) and maybe a glow run. Highly doubt I'll get to a half-marathon (at least, I won't be able to finish in a respectable enough time to merit doing an organized one), but maybe I'll find a 15k later in the year. Or I'll just work on getting my time down for a while.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Just to echo the others, try c25k. it's a great program- i did it. i was heavy when i started it too.
    this year i'm doing a chunk of halves. my first is in 2 weeks. my 2nd is in 3!
  • HuneeBunee08
    Options
    I want to do a few zombie runs :) and some obsticle 5ks or something.. Hopefully a half marathon too!

Now that sounds fun!!!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I did a couple of 10ks plus a relay marathon leg last year, so I've signed up for a half marathon in June. I downloaded a training programme from the marathon website, and I'm also using MapMyRun to record my progress.
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    One other thing is to go at your own pace, forget if others are passing etc. do what your comfortable with. I am a little slower than average but I have short legs so its a bit harder to go as fast as someone with longer legs hehe. Just feel comfortable. a heart rate monitor is useful to know if you are taking it too easy. :) and if your feeling good and can keep jogging keep going. I am now working on distance rather than speed. Will aim to get faster when it is getting too comfortable.
  • HuneeBunee08
    Options
    Have you looked at the Couch to 5K program? (C25K) That is what I used. At first the running is very minimal and the time running builds over several weeks. Once you complete that program they also have a training program for 10K - C210K. Make sure to follow you doctor's advice and listen to your body to avoid injury! Good luck!

The problem with most of these is that they are built on an assumption of a certain running/walking speed. If you're jog isn't as fast as theirs, you're not going to be at a full 5k by the end of the program. You'll be able to jog for 30-35 minutes, but at 4 mph, that's only about 2/3 of the full run.

I would suggest applying the same idea, but without the restraint of the timer. Just walk 5k, but throw a certain amount of jogging in every few minutes or at certain distances and just repeat until you've finished. Then every week (maybe more often), increase the amount of jogging you do each time. Eventually the jog will spread out to cover then entire 5k.

What I did was based on the Color Run and the idea that there was a 'check point' every kilometer. I would walk briskly and then when I came up on those 'check points' I would run through them. Then as I felt more comfortable, I would start running a little earlier and a little longer through each check point. Eventually I got to where I could pretty much jog out the whole thing in about 45 minutes.

Thats a good idea.. I think i will start this way and then advance to the c25k!!! thanks!!
  • vmdave
    vmdave Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My goal is to do a 5k in the Fall I am seriously out of shape rigtht now but by then I am hoping to be in batter shape.
  • studentforlife
    studentforlife Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    8k in april... zombie infested 5k with obstacle in may and either a 5or 10 k later in the year.
    Currently I am training on a treadmill, but plan on going outside once it warms up.. Wisconsin winters are no fun to run in
  • littlebeardedlifter
    littlebeardedlifter Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Right now training for a 5k in april
  • MomLinds
    Options
    I have signed up for 3 half marathons so far for 2013! Run the BlueGrass in Lexington, KY in March...Covered Bridge Half Marathon in Vermont in June and the Rock n Roll Philadelphia in September. On a mission to complete a half in every state with my daughter.

Would love to find a running partner .. I live in Upstate New York.
  • Hwalsh0304
    Options
    Last year I ran a few 5k's. I used the Couch to 5k program and LOVED IT! It really turned me on to running, which I thought was impossible. I have a 10k on the 2nd and my first half marathon on March 16th. All the races are in Minnesota. I'm excited for the 10k but really scared still for the half marathon. I have a lot of training left to do!
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first 10k in April. I don't have anything planned yet for after that, though I will probably do my city's 8k on Thanksgiving.

ETA: I am following Jeff Galloway's training schedule (though not incorporating walk breaks into my runs): http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'll do a couple. I don't pick them out until a few weeks in advance.
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Color run this weekend, I am doing a 10k in March. I am hiking the grand canyon in march. I am doing the warrior dash and pat tilman in April.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Thats a good idea.. I think i will start this way and then advance to the c25k!!! thanks!!

i'm a plodder too, but for me in the beginning it really was easier to run for time rather than distance. some people prefer to run for distance over time (c25k gives you that option too). but truth be told, once you're able to run for 30 mins (regardless of how far you get in that time) it's still fabulous because you're running for 30 mins! if you can run for 30, you can run for 35 or 40 if you're intending to run in a 5k race.
    i did c25k 2 years ago, then moved onto b210k (as suggested- again another great programme). these days i run halves and fulls so i do train for distance now, and it still takes me forever although i have got faster over time. for me, i'll always be a plodder. but i can plod really really far!