I'm Scared

Options

Replies

• oconor316
    oconor316 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I count every bite of food I have in a day and every ounce of water I drink but I have not been counting exercise yet.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have been going crazy with diet and exercise the past couple months and at first I lost 35 pounds but the past two weeks I have not seen any loss.

Go less crazy. If you're under-eating and over-exercising you'll find your problem right there. Also there will be plenty of weeks where you lose nothing - and other weeks where you'll have a big loss - look at the average over a long period of time and go from there.

And super job on the 35 lbs you've already lost! That is great! Don't minimize your progress.
  • skinnydavid7
    skinnydavid7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Occonor, I went back over your diary a bit and only partially agree with those saying you are not eating enought. Fact is to lose weight there needs to be a daily "NET" deficit of calories. At your age you require more calories than I do at my age. That said, coming in at gross numbers ove 1000 is not an indication of not eating enough. but the 500-600 may well be. More importantly is the food choices. You make some very good ones and some I would change. I fight the same challenges. Pickles have a mess of sodium which will cause you to retain water and will raise blood pressure. (One of my own items that I am now deciding to eliminate-I was using them as a low-no calorie filler but my blood pressure goes up every time I eat them) Second is cheese. These is really just nothing good for us in our beloved cheese. I hate that but I know its true. Third is be more consistent. Your body cannot adjust when one day you eat 600 calories and the next 1500. Pick a goal number, find the easiest foods that you can do daily that can keep you at a consistent caliric intake. Do moderate excersize twice a day for 30 minutes and the pounds will come off. At your age I am no expert but I would say your "net" each day should be around 1000-1200. With excersize that probably means a 2000-2500 gross number but high in protein lower in processed carbs. Fruit, veggies and chicken or seafood are the best. Ypou can do it man. Thats what you need to keep believing. You clearly have the why, so the how will come to you. Being wise enough to share your challenges here tells me you are dead serious, so I know you can and will do it. :happy:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I count every bite of food I have in a day and every ounce of water I drink but I have not been counting exercise yet.

Okay, well if that is true, then start eating more and start logging your exercise here - that's the way this site is intended to be used.

See a doctor and get on a calorie plan. You need medical supervision at your weight.
  • oconor316
    oconor316 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ok I realize I need to eat more in fact my friends have been telling me that but I do not choose to eat as little as I do I am just full. Yesterday I ate near 1600 calories which I thought was amazing but am I making the right choices? I know I have a bad habit of fast meals and I tend to use lean gourmet meals a bit much because lets face it 88cents a meal is awesome. Should I keep my carbs low if I am also keeping fat low? Should I worry as much about Sodium since I am drinking so much water? Believe me I am here to absorb every bit of knowledge I can because I am not ready to die and I damn sure ain't giving up.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP I'm going to go against the grain a bit and suggest that you setup an appointment with a dietitian who will help you setup an appropriate mealplan. You've been inconsistent with your intake and seem to be experimenting a lot, and I think someone who can sit down and setup a custom nutrition plan for your needs would be the best course of action to take especially given how much weight you have to lose.

You've got a long road ahead of you, so work on trying to be consistent and patient as much as possible.

Good luck to you!

^^this is actually good advice.
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    OP I'm going to go against the grain a bit and suggest that you setup an appointment with a dietitian who will help you setup an appropriate mealplan. You've been inconsistent with your intake and seem to be experimenting a lot, and I think someone who can sit down and setup a custom nutrition plan for your needs would be the best course of action to take especially given how much weight you have to lose.

You've got a long road ahead of you, so work on trying to be consistent and patient as much as possible.

Good luck to you!
    ^^This!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Ok I realize I need to eat more in fact my friends have been telling me that but I do not choose to eat as little as I do I am just full. Yesterday I ate near 1600 calories which I thought was amazing but am I making the right choices? I know I have a bad habit of fast meals and I tend to use lean gourmet meals a bit much because lets face it 88cents a meal is awesome. Should I keep my carbs low if I am also keeping fat low? Should I worry as much about Sodium since I am drinking so much water? Believe me I am here to absorb every bit of knowledge I can because I am not ready to die and I damn sure ain't giving up.

I really think you should go see a dietitian if possible. Given the fact that you're morbidly obese with 300+ lbs to lose, your nutritional needs may be different than someone trying to lose 40-80 lbs. as the typical MFP user is. Plus, if you have any medical issues that need to be addressed with your diet (diabetes, etc.), those need to be handled in a different way than what most of us are equipped to advise.

Hang in there! You're doing the right thing by being here and learning as much as you can and trying. We'll all be rooting for you :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I really think you should go see a dietitian if possible. Given the fact that you're morbidly obese with 300+ lbs to lose, your nutritional needs may be different than someone trying to lose 40-80 lbs. as the typical MFP user is. Plus, if you have any medical issues that need to be addressed with your diet (diabetes, etc.), those need to be handled in a different way than what most of us are equipped to advise.

Hang in there! You're doing the right thing by being here and learning as much as you can and trying. We'll all be rooting for you :smile:

^^this.

But to add, in the mean time, there is no reason to go low carb, but if you do, do not go low fat at the same time.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Keep it simple for now. I think your first priority should be in pure calorie intake. I don't what your carbs or fat or protein look like. Just get used to eating in your calorie range. After that's been done, you can tweak your macros. Don't worry about low-carb, and definitely don't worry about low-fat. Even sodium is too often an overrated concern (for most people).

This is a great post to read for some basics http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Another note-- even if you are not losing, your body is still getting the benefit of the exercise-- your cardiovascular system will still be healthier-- don't give up!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You guys are quick! :laugh: I still think at his weight, undereating is not that big a deal. Losing the weight is a matter of life or death. Even 1000 calories at his weight would be okay on occasion. I'm not willing to crucify him for it - you go right ahead, though.

No one is crucifying him, matter a fact I have added him as a friend when he was suggested to me from another one of my friends.. Let me lay this out in terms from someone who has been there and done that... 42 months ago I weighed 560 lbs. was home bound for over 2 years, could not walk from the recliner to the bathroom (actually wheeled myself around the house on a computer chair.) I sat in a chair with a loaded hand gun for 3 days before having that Aha moment and decided to choose life... I stopped saying No to everything and started saying yes... My nutritionist said to maintain my 560 lbs. I was consuming over 8000 calories a day, but we both knew I was eating closer to 10,000 calories if not more cause that last year I packed on 120 lbs. So when we started my meal plan it wasn't oh you have to eat 800-1000 calories a day cause your fat and can handle the low calories, no it was slow and steady will win the race. She set my intake at 2500 calories a day and a macro split of 40/30/30 leaning carbs/protein/fats.. We brought in 2 - 32 gallon trash cans and empty the house of all bad foods/trigger foods until such a time that I could handle having them in the house and replaced them with an assortment of fruits/veggies/chicken and fish and reasonable snacks. at that caloric reduction the first month the weight flew off but over the next few weeks it leveled off to a couple pounds a week loss.. Did I have stalled weeks, of course but the one thing I NEVER did was under ate and over the course of the last 3 1/2 years and dropping over 300 lbs. I have increased my caloric intake (to currently eating 3000-3400 calories a day) and am still losing weight some weeks... Point being no one on here is being mean, we may just know from experience that food is Not the enemy, the enemy is and always will be our own selves that stand in the way of what we want to accomplish... OP we have talked about this and you know where I stand on this.... I am here for you whenever you want to bounce anything off me... Stay the course, and start getting those calories up and keep moving!! You got this!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Ed, 2500 is where he would be if he was adding in the Exercise calories - which he isn't at this point. I have been saying "Eat More" in hundreds of threads for five years. I agree it is the easier way to go. I've also known 400+ pound people who lost the first 100 pounds by using some amount of VLCD. I'm not saying it's right - but I know with medical supervision it's possible. ONLY IN the extreme situtation he's in, and ONLY on occasion....like I've said.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You guys are quick! :laugh: I still think at his weight, undereating is not that big a deal. Losing the weight is a matter of life or death. Even 1000 calories at his weight would be okay on occasion. I'm not willing to crucify him for it - you go right ahead, though.

No one is crucifying him, matter a fact I have added him as a friend when he was suggested to me from another one of my friends.. Let me lay this out in terms from someone who has been there and done that... 42 months ago I weighed 560 lbs. was home bound for over 2 years, could not walk from the recliner to the bathroom (actually wheeled myself around the house on a computer chair.) I sat in a chair with a loaded hand gun for 3 days before having that Aha moment and decided to choose life... I stopped saying No to everything and started saying yes... My nutritionist said to maintain my 560 lbs. I was consuming over 8000 calories a day, but we both knew I was eating closer to 10,000 calories if not more cause that last year I packed on 120 lbs. So when we started my meal plan it wasn't oh you have to eat 800-1000 calories a day cause your fat and can handle the low calories, no it was slow and steady will win the race. She set my intake at 2500 calories a day and a macro split of 40/30/30 leaning carbs/protein/fats.. We brought in 2 - 32 gallon trash cans and empty the house of all bad foods/trigger foods until such a time that I could handle having them in the house and replaced them with an assortment of fruits/veggies/chicken and fish and reasonable snacks. at that caloric reduction the first month the weight flew off but over the next few weeks it leveled off to a couple pounds a week loss.. Did I have stalled weeks, of course but the one thing I NEVER did was under ate and over the course of the last 3 1/2 years and dropping over 300 lbs. I have increased my caloric intake (to currently eating 3000-3400 calories a day) and am still losing weight some weeks... Point being no one on here is being mean, we may just know from experience that food is Not the enemy, the enemy is and always will be our own selves that stand in the way of what we want to accomplish... OP we have talked about this and you know where I stand on this.... I am here for you whenever you want to bounce anything off me... Stay the course, and start getting those calories up and keep moving!! You got this!!!

^^^ This guy is probably going to be the best friend you ever get on MFP, listen to him. Its easier to hear and believe from someone who has been where your at
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

^^^ This guy is probably going to be the best friend you ever get on MFP, listen to him. Its easier to hear and believe from someone who has been where your at

^^^ Ditto this!
  • skinnydavid7
    skinnydavid7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Okay, one last thought and I'll shut up. LOL

You are in the right place. MyFitnesspal has ALL the tools to get you where you want to be. Someone will correct me if this is not correct. But go back into your profile. Set your weight goal and be sure all your data is correct. The where it offers to establish your daily net goals check yes. That will tell you what a good reasonable daily net goal is. Then look for a couple days at a consistent moderate exersize program that will give you predictable caloric burning. Set up a diet plan that will with the exersize bring you in at or around the daily goals that the MFP system sets up for you. No need to "go crazy either on food or exersize. Just be moderate and consistent and realize that with minor adjustments this is how you will want to live the rest of your life unless you want to be on a yo-yo weight program of going up and down like so many of us have done.

And lastly, pick out some folks here and friend them to get yourself your own pool of people supporting your efforts. Some call it a kitchen cabinet, Napolean Hill calls it a mastermind group. He studied success more than any man that ever lived.

Believe in yourself and you will do it dude!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mdjh3eyoir1re2j1zo1_500.jpg
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

^^^ Ditto this!

I just read this. And I agree. This person is your friend <3
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    plateau's are normal keep at it be diligent and it will start coming off again.

I stayed at the exact same weight for two months. to. the. ounce.
    It'll move again eventually.
  • Gin66
    Gin66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I have hit a plateau in the past I like to change things up a bit. One of the best things I have found is to try eating only protein in the morning. Good luck.