Bummed out :(

Options
Ok, so I just did a custom ticker and did not like what I saw at all. That's right 122 pounds to go ... REALLY? I was thinking more like 100 to go. Just feeling really down right now. I know I'm a very big guy but just never thought it was that much. HOW did this happen? How did I let it get this far. This is going to be a very long journey since as of now I'm not able to exercise much. 4 Herniated disc in my back. Hoping that once I lose the fist 50 pounds my insurance company will approve my surgery.

I wanna believe that the light at the end of the tunnel will still be burning when I get there. For all that get there before me can you please replace the bulb for me...lol

I need this now more than ever. I'm 42 years old and there days I feel like I'm 70. I don't want this anymore. I wanna be able to enjoy life. I wanna not be depressed everyday. I wanna be able to run more than 20 yards without being out of breath. There is so much I wanna do. I wanna be an inspiration to all that live in physical and mental pain.

I walked over 6,000 steps today. Just 4months ago I barely could do 2,500. My high is 12,000 but I was in bed for the next 2 days so I don't wanna do that again. Just wanted to test my mental strength.

I found some amazing people on here and I will always be thankful for that. If anyone wants to help motivate me please feel free to add me. I'm really a nice guy but have many scares from people judging me on how I look. Many of my own family don't believe I can do this.

Replies

• iivye
    iivye Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Focus on the 28 lbs you've already lost, congratulations! Try working toward another 25 lb goal and not worrying about the "122 lbs to go". You've already proved you can do this...just keep on keeping on.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    CHIN UP! GO KICK SOME *kitten*!
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Keep the big picture in the back of your brain and focus on some small goals. A lot less daunting this way! You WILL get there. Yes it will take time and dedication but you've got this!!! I believe in you :) And when you do get there that light will shine the brightest that it has ever shined!
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Change your sticker options to show "pounds lost" instead of "how much to go". Let's face it, we doing this ONE POUND AT A TIME, so why not show that side of the coin?

I find it more motivating to see the number increase with my efforts and I also set my goal weight higher than my ultimate goal(130) because the big picture is too overwhelming right now. I'll adjust the goal when I get closer to the one I now have(180).

You are doing great! We started at the same time, both fighting back issues, and you're dropping faster than I am.

I say the glass is HALF FULL .... so go change that ticker and pat yourself on the back!
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're moving in the right direction. If that goal is bumming you out, then change it to 99 pounds. When you make that goal, then do a 23 pound one. Just keep on track.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you feel "bummed out". Change your ticker to say how much you have lost versus how much you have to lose! That's my solution.
  • MaxsMomTN
    MaxsMomTN Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My brother has degenerative disk disease and is in constant pain as well. He was overweight, and it took him some time but he's gotten down to his goal. The only exercises he could do was walk and swim. Swimming seems to be easier for him, and he's enjoyed that. He is still in pain, but with the extra weight off, he says he feels better and has more pain free days, and is getting prepared for another surgery. I'd say just set yourself smaller goals, 10 pounds at a time or something, and celebrate each time you reach them. It sounds like you have done well so far, so don't keep your focus on how far you have to go, but on taking one day at a time and eating healthy and walking those steps. You can do this!
  • MelSeaux
    MelSeaux Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone says - focus on the smaller picture. Whenever I think 70 lbs to lose, I get completely overwhelmed. When I think 5 lbs - I'm like, I can do this. Its only 5 lbs! You will look back at this journey and rejoice!

I used be be able to walk 6 miles a day and not even break a sweat. Now it takes all I have to walk half a mile. I was able to do a mile a day for the last 3 days and I felt like that was a huge accomplishment.

YOU CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN! Focus on positives - not negatives!
  • sashaeverett
    sashaeverett Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's normal to feel that way. The important thing is that you stick to what you are doing. You will see results and your body will thank you later. This will take time, but in the end you will be so glad you did it. Try to keep a positive outlook on this. Its harder to lose weight while being so critical. I have to tell myself that all the time. Focus on how far you have come and how much better you feel. Maybe if it helps just focus on being healthy and not the weight loss.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I agree.Change your ticker.6,000 steps is no small accomplishment either.Your headed in the right direction
  • MelSeaux
    MelSeaux Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    And on a second note - I have 4 bulging discs in my neck and 2 in my back. I use that as an excuse, but there are still ways to exercise....walking and swimming are two of the best!
  • dchannell
    Options
    Hang in there! I am a 55 year old prior gastric bypass "survivor" who has finally figured out that its' about diet AND exercise AND taking control of my health. Better late than never. I had micro fracture surgery last summer on one of my knees and spent two months in a wheelchair just adding on more pounds until I had regained 40 of the 100 I lost from the surgery 8 years ago. Now I am determined to lose it slowly, efficiently and in spite of whatever medical issues crop up for me. You can do it, it's just going to take some time and effort. I'm sorry about your back, but don't let it derail you from your goals. Take them one step at a time or one meal at a time but even if you slide off, you can get back on track. I know you can do it! Use the food as fuel and be the one in charge of your health! Start right now and don't drag your mistakes along with you, let them lay where they should be, in your past. You are so much better than the sum of your past and you are stronger than you think!!!
  • Serendipityunt
    Serendipityunt Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have 25 pounds to go (and I know it's not even close to how you feel but hear me out a moment), but 25 seemed like a lot to handle. So on my profile, I wrote out smaller goals, at 5 pounds each, to take note of and mark as a celebration. I've lost nearly 5 pounds and I celebrated making it there (writing it down with the date), instead of focusing on the 20 more I had to go. It's helped me out, and not making me feel so overwhelmed. Now instead of 20 more pounds to go, I focus on the 5 more pounds until my next min goal. Feel free to check out my profile to see it.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I said the same thing to myself when I started out. But my first goal was to get to Onederland...that was 10 pounds down. Then it was where I had been a year before....another 10. Then it was my halfway to goal...another 10, Then it was my lowest weight in 10 years....15 pounds. Now its another 15 pounds till I get to goal. Each goal is a victory and it makes you feel like you are really accomplishing something. And the changes in your body are an even better motivator. You are doing GREAT.....continued success!!!
  • daledbetter
    daledbetter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I was out of commission for about two years after major knee problems and I'm starting over again. I can sympathize with how hard it is but I know anyone can do it! My friend lost 115 pounds and in the beginning the main change was changing her diet. Try your hardest but don't overdo it because it will cause you to go backwards. You can do it!

I know what it feels like when you feel like no one believes in you because I am right there with you. My support network is much larger than it used to be because I looked for people who would support me outside of my family. Everyone needs a cheerleader, don't be afraid to ask for one! Have a friend go for short walks with you to keep you motivated!
  • NadDrew
    NadDrew Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    One day at a time, I've injured my back 4 years ago (herniated disc L5S1 and sciatica) no surgery for me I've learned to cope with that excruciating pain and today with 60 pounds lighter the pain is less intensive and I'm able to workout again but exercices at low impact so no more running and sits up for me.

Good luck !
  • densta1968
    Options
    You're doing great so far, so don't let that "final number" mess with your head. One step at a time, one day at a time. Appreciate every little victory along the way and brush off any missteps. You got this. :happy:
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Change your sticker options to show "pounds lost" instead of "how much to go". Let's face it, we doing this ONE POUND AT A TIME, so why not show that side of the coin?

I find it more motivating to see the number increase with my efforts and I also set my goal weight higher than my ultimate goal(130) because the big picture is too overwhelming right now. I'll adjust the goal when I get closer to the one I now have(180).

You are doing great! We started at the same time, both fighting back issues, and you're dropping faster than I am.

I say the glass is HALF FULL .... so go change that ticker and pat yourself on the back!

AGREED ^^
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Set small goals because the overall goal can be too big (I'm in the same boat)

Do a 5% goal, 10% goal, 15% and so on. Set milestones (for me its going from "obese" to "overweight", under 200, etc)

You need to take one day at a time, it's going to be a long journey, but the end is gonna rock
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Your doing an amazing job. Don't ever loose the fact that whether its one pound or 100lbs its something to be proud of!!! YOU CAN DO THIS! take one day at a time and yes somedays will be harder than others; but step by step your getting there. I agree with the others change your ticker to pounds lost instead of how far you have to go. :) I enjoy looking at mine that says 7lbs lost; because to me thats another step in the right direction! God bless and i'm here if you need me just message me!!!