the best site !!!!

But sadly not low calorie :(

http://punchfork.com/recipes/slow-cooker
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    here's one I use for short ribs:

2 lbs short ribs, bone in (not frozen!)
    1/2 c soy sauce + 1/4 c water (or 3/4 c beef broth)
    1 t black pepper
    1/4 t ginger
    1/2 t white pepper
    1/2 t red pepper
    1 t garlic powder
    1 onion, halved and sliced

Mix spices and liquid in a cup.
    Break up onion slices and lay on the bottom of the slow cooker.
    Put the short ribs on top.
    Pour the liquid over the short ribs.
    Cover the pot with tin foil, put the lid on, turn to low.
    It has to cook at least 8 hours.

I can throw this together in about 10 minutes before I leave for work in the morning, which is great.

You get falling off the bone tender meat.
    but you also get a LOT of fat.
    So ... put the ribs and the sauce in the fridge, so that the fat congeals, and you can break it off and throw it away.

Serve the ribs with the sauce - if you want to thicken it, OK to put in a little cornstarch.

Or, here's what I do:
    I take out the cooked ribs and then put in 1 lb BONELESS short ribs.
    Cook for another 8 hours.
    Yes, more tender, tender meat.

keep the leftover sauce for future uses - I keep some for more short rib cooking, and also use it to flavor up stews.
  • GoldenGopherDad
    GoldenGopherDad Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Not a specific recipe, but I have found a few on this site:

http://www.laaloosh.com/ct/health-and-food/food-recipes/crock-pot/
  • Emaginesc
    Emaginesc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Do a seach on here under Recipes. There are tons. The Cream Cheese Chicken Chili is awesome.
  • liannesaut
    liannesaut Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    my favourite easy thing to do with my slowcooker is just make shredded pork or chicken for other meals. I put a big pork tenderloin or two or 6-8 chicken breasts in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours or so, cover it with chicken broth or veggie broth and a bunch of garlic. Then I have amazing meat that shreds effortlessly and lasts at least 4 meals for my husband and me!

also love slow cooker lazy cabbage rolls -> chop up a head of cabbage, add a pound of pre-cooked meat with onions and garlic, a cup of long grain brown rice, and a can of diced tomatoes or pasta sauce + more liquid if it looks like it needs it and stir it up well. Cook on low and add some shredded cheese on top if you want. My husband's favourite.

lentils are great in the slowcooker too. Ratio of 1:2 lentils to liquid (water, broth, etc) + curry powder (as much as you want), tomato paste, celery, onions, garlic, and chopped up sausages or chicken.

my favourite BAD recipe for the slow cooker is hashbrowns -> 2 bags of frozen hashbrowns, 2 cups of shredded cheese, can of cream soup (chicken, mushroom, cheese, etc), container of sour cream, and milk as required... can feel my hips expanding as I think about them.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I also cook pork tenderloins and chicken a lot to shred. My favorite lately is putting in the meat, sprinkle a 1/2 or full packet of low sodium taco seasoning and then pour in a large can of Las Palmas green enchilada sauce. Once it's cooked and shredded you have this yummy, saucy meat to make tacos, burritos, enchiladas or just put on top of salad greens.

Other tips:
    1) use non fat greek yogurt for sour cream. when it's used for a topping in something like Mexican food, you can't even tell it's not sour cream and you get the added bonus of extra protein and live active cultures.
    2) everything is better with a some fresh avocado! Not only tasty but the healthy fats are so good for you.
    3) Trader Joes (and I'm sure other places) sell Sprouted Wheat tortillas. They are high in fiber (bonus!) AND if you heat them in a skillet (no oil or anything needed), fill it with your favorite stuff, roll it up like a burrito, then put back in skillet to get a crispy on the outside, you will think you are eating a white flour tortilla! Great for quesadillas or tortilla pizzas too!
  • Jribeiro86
    Jribeiro86 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Other tips:
    1) use non fat greek yogurt for sour cream. when it's used for a topping in something like Mexican food, you can't even tell it's not sour cream and you get the added bonus of extra protein and live active cultures.
    2) everything is better with a some fresh avocado! Not only tasty but the healthy fats are so good for you.

^THIS. I use yogurt now for everything along those lines, and avocado with garlic salt is the best thing there is. As far as actual recipes for the slow cooker... I use allrecipes.com. LOVE their suggestions, and you can filter your search so that you only view recipes within a certain range of healthiness. Also, they frequently provide worthwhile editors' choice lists with healthier, less fattening alternative recipes. Good stuff!
  • Taralmh
    Taralmh Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    super easy...
    Take a beef tenderloin and place it over carrots, potatos and onioins. Add 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup of A1. Cook all day (8+hours on low) Super good.

Also
    line crock pot with dried beef, then mix 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup and 1 8oz sour cream (i sub in greek yogart) pour half over the dried beef, then wrap 1 slice of bacon around a chicken breast and place it in the crock pot. place 1 piece of chicken per person feeding and then cover with remaining mixture. Cook on low for 8+hours. I like to serve mine over brownand wild rice.

And i like to place a 15 bean soup pack (dried beans) in my crockpot and cook it all night and day with ham peices in it. This makes a nice thick soup.
  • pugsrock4ever
    pugsrock4ever Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • pugsrock4ever
    pugsrock4ever Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to trying all of your suggest:blushing: ions. Using the crock pot is so much easier for me because when I get home from work I'm tired and don't feel like cooking.
  • Maia58
    Maia58 Posts: 3
    Options
    Another helpful thing for crockpot use is to buy the slowcooker liners. I get them at Walmart. You can find them by the foil.
    Saves a ton of clean up time.
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My favorite is white chicken chili. Google it, but I'm pretty sure I use the version at recipezaar.com
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love Turkey, White Bean pumpkin Chilli... I found it on pinterest but i think it originally came from all recipes. It calls for a lb of ground turkey, can of diced green chilie's (I use rotell diced tomatoes with green chilis), a 15 oz can of libby's pure pumpkin puree, 2 cups of chicken broth, and 1- 15 oz can of great white northern beans, and one of navy beans. then just season to taste I've done it with chili powder and cumin, i also added pumpkin spice mix one night and it was really good! :)
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    PORK LOIN w/ APRICOT DIJON GLAZE

Number of servings 4

Generic - Pork Loin Boneless Center Cut Roast, 17 oz
    Smuckers - Apricot Preserves, 0.33 container (17 tbsp (20g) ea.)
    French's Dijon Mustard, 1 TBSP
    Garlic, 2 Cloves (I.E. 6 g) - Raw, 2 tsp
    Lea & Perrins - Reduced Sodium Worchestershire Sauce, 1 TBSP
    10 Dried Apricot Halves
    Salt & Pepper

Total: 1027 calories
    Per Serving: 257 calories