I want to kill my nutritionist...

Options
So I am going to a nutritionist inorder to have a revision for a gastric bypass I had nine years ago. The first time I saw her she said work on choosing better foods. Months later, not knowing I had to see her again, she told me I was doing awesome and I need to work on the snacking. So I did, I haven't snacked too much for the last month and a half. So I go again today and now I have to work on choosing better foods when I go out to eat, she is taking that from the TWO times I went out to eat. OMG!! I swear that they don't want me to get any help. I wish I could just talk to the surgeon and see what he has in mind. I can't see him until she approves me. I have lost 55 lbs in the last 4 months, isn't that good enough? I am so peeved!!!!

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    55 lbs in 4 months is incredible!! If you're doing so well why do you need surgery?
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    Wow I agree with stylist, if you can produce those kind of results, why would you want to risk your life with expensive surgery?
  • kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    yes I have to agree with the others.....you've done so well so far and to do it yourself without surgery is the best way to go....the long-term costs of gastric surgery are severe and I genuinely think you have the capability to go all the way

x
  • neztet
    neztet Posts: 21
    Options
    I originally had the surgery when I was 18. I want another tool to help my through. I know I can do it, but I also know I need help to do it.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what everyone said. I think your nutritionist's remarks probably stem from the previous failed attempts at gastric bypass. I can count everyone I know who has not been successful with it. They lost the weight only to stretch the stomach and gain it back. She is just trying to remind you how it important it is to eat the best that you can. With that being said, if you are eating the best you can then you don't need the surgery. If you aren't eating the best you can and get the surgery, you are going to be back at this place consulting for surgery again down the road.
  • catfan
    catfan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am a little confused....What is a revision to a gastric bypass..Did it not work the first time?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude but it sounds to me like you're being selfish. Your nutritionist is there to help you and her advice is spot on. If you were to tell us exactly what you told her and ask for advice, I'm sure a bunch of people would say the same thing. Making better choices NOW is good for the future because you start new good habits that stick with you the more you do them. She's not wrong to say make better choices when you go out. I've been doing this the last 4 months, I've only lost 20 lbs. but I still make bad choices when I eat out and that's something I'm working on as well.

And I also agree that you definitely can do this on your own - you've PROVED that - so you should just keep going, maybe another 4 months, see where you're at, and re-evaluate why you really want to get this surgery done. If you don't NEED it, save the money and buy yourself a new wardrobe 'cause I'm sure your clothes are fallin' off!!

I see surgery as giving up... if you honestly couldn't lose weight 'cause say, you couldn't exercise, I could understand. But you're doing great!! Don't use surgery as a way out... you're doing great on your own. Push through and keep it up!
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    Who sugested the Nutritionist to you?? The reason that I ask is that here in Canada ANYONE at all can call themselves a nutritionist regardless of their training - however only people who have a degree in nutrition can call themselves dietitians... So, that being said - Nutrionists here can have ALL sorts of varied ideas on what is healthiest for you. Where as the dietitians have a little bit more standardizaton. And that being said - its like doctors - sometimes you have to "shop around" before you find someone that you are compatable with :)

Our nutrititionist can be VERY annoying - but I understand where she is coming from on most things. She specifically said that she would look for something each week to critique... So Maybe yours is just looking for ANYTHING that she can peg as "bad" - even when everything you are doing is good - she might be picking the "worst" of the good things to pick at!

Stick it out! Tell her about your frustrations! Thats the best way to get past them and keep up a good working relationship with her...