Hot (bikram) yoga - calories burned?

Options
Hi,

I'm trying hot yoga for the first time tonight. There is no option in the database for this - there's only "yoga."
I'm not sure if I should count it as more calories, or just underestimate knowing I'm not going to eat back the calories burned anyway.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• kerriotto
    Options
    I estimate 600 calories for 90 minutes. I am a big girl, though.

I've seen this link posted before,as a guide:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    First, I am so excited when anytone does bikram for the first time. Second, drink water all day, not just right before and after and you can expect to burn anywhere from 400 - 600 calories in 75-90 minute session. I am 5' 4", 114 lbs and usually average about 500 calories burned a session.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I would be a bit careful about those high calorie readings - if they come from wearing a HRM while doing Bikram or Power or any kind of active Yoga, remember your heart rate might be up there, the same as it would be with weightlifting but your demand for oxygen does not match your bpm so it isn't all cardio.

Your HRM doesn't know that though and will give you are reading as if you were doing cardio for 75 or so minutes at an elevated heartrate - hence the high calorie reading.

I would aim for something more like 2-300 calories and if you feel that is too low (losing weight too rapidly, stalling weight loss or real hunger pains after eating all your target calories) then slowly increase calories to match your workout. Otherwise you could put weight on thinking you have just burned 600+ calories, when you haven't.

Your heart is elevated in Yoga, especially hot yoga, to cool your core down by increasing sweating, and in static poses - which are more to do with strength than cardio; neither of these burn many calories.

sorry to be the party pooper!

edit: sorry - above all - HAVE A GREAT TIME!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I would be a bit careful about those high calorie readings - if they come from wearing a HRM while doing Bikram or Power or any kind of active Yoga, remember your heart rate might be up there, the same as it would be with weightlifting but your demand for oxygen does not match your bpm so it isn't all cardio.

Your HRM doesn't know that though and will give you are reading as if you were doing cardio for 75 or so minutes at an elevated heartrate - hence the high calorie reading.

I would aim for something more like 2-300 calories and if you feel that is too low (losing weight too rapidly, stalling weight loss or real hunger pains after eating all your target calories) then slowly increase calories to match your workout. Otherwise you could put weight on thinking you have just burned 600+ calories, when you haven't.

Your heart is elevated in Yoga, especially hot yoga, to cool your core down by increasing sweating, and in static poses - which are more to do with strength than cardio; neither of these burn many calories.

sorry to be the party pooper!

edit: sorry - above all - HAVE A GREAT TIME!

This. I love my Vinyasa Power yoga, but I don't trust my Body Media's readings on it for the reasons she listed. I always added it in as 300, but my armband says it's more like 500. It's a hard one to really judge, but it's definitely worth it. I always feel great after and sleep really well that night. Have fun!
  • sassy_sadie
    sassy_sadie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I think I'm going to count it as regular yoga for now.
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love Bikram yoga! Don't worry about the calorie burn too much. To be on the safe side, estimate low.

Enjoy the challenge and have fun! :-)