Smoking is fantastic

Options
Thats what I thought six months ago. 30 years of 30 a day. And I stopped Sept 3rd 2012. Completely. The weight I had lost on MFP (42 lbs) went straight back on and then 15 lbs more. Is smoking fantastic? By that measure yes. But, and its a big but, my lungs have cleared, i do an hour on the cross trainer now, drive myself hard, come off it drenched in sweat, but not even breathing heavy. Im never out of breath, I feel wonderful. Heavy but ten times the energy I had. I am now losing the weight, and by the time i reach the target i was before i will be running marathons. Never, ever think that smoking is a good way to stay slim. Even 4 stone heavier, I am fitter than ever. Please, quit the weed if you smoke. The benefits are beyond comprehension, promise...

Replies

• JenniJudd3178
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from. I lost 56lb last year and then decided to stop smoking, like you I have put all my lost weight back on (apart from 4lb) I feel amazing tho, now I know I can loose the weight but this time won't have to use food as a substitute for the nicotine craving! Finger crossed 2013 will lead to an even healthier me. Keep up the good work.
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    YAY! Congrats!

Now...i'll go share this with my 81 yr old grandmother who refuses to quit...lol
  • mccanntj
    Options
    Good for you. I'm trying to quit. I will go 2 days and break down...I notice I eat A LOT more when I'm not smoking..: (
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Damn...I thought this thread was going to be about ribs and brisket.

Seriously though, congrats...I quite Sept 25, 2012 after 20 years 2 PAD. I'm using a personal vaporizer (e-cig) as a crutch, but it's a hell of a lot better than smoking ever was. I can now breath and exercise and do the things I always enjoyed before my lungs became so filled with tar I couldn't do them anymore.

Congrats.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    As a smoker for 45 years I can tell you it took a stay in the ICU with blood clots in my heart and legs to get me to quit. I quit Jan 26, 2012 and I can do so much more than I ever could. I gained 5 pounds but took it off by following MFP reccomendations.One year without smelling, coughing, gasping for breath or looking like a smurf(blue).
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Way to Go!!! I quit after 15+ years of pack a day smoking. I have been clean for 2.5 years. Never felt better!!!

I used Chantix to quit for the last and final time.
  • Itzli
    Itzli Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Is it best to quit and start a diet at the same time then? Kind of like a complete cold turkey thing? No more smokes or Big Macs all at the same time? Just wondering....
  • Jday71
    Jday71 Posts: 39
    Options
    I have been smoke free for over 6 years!!! but on some pounds, but I feel healthy and love exercising.
  • Bigwig236
    Bigwig236 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great job Jenni. Stick to it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Is it best to quit and start a diet at the same time then? Kind of like a complete cold turkey thing? No more smokes or Big Macs all at the same time? Just wondering....

Exactly what I did...probably not for everybody, but I'm kind of an all in type of guy...jump in with both feet you know?
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quiting! When I quit, gum and blow pops became my best friend and if u track what u eat, u shouldn't gain to bad.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Yes I quit smoking 2 years ago after 15 plus years, I feel fantastic. I haven't managed to lose all the weight gain though but that's not a reason to not quit. I have damaged my lungs and just don't have the lung capacity that I should have. I think they should banned cigarettes altogether.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i quit cold turkey, but i sure would like one RIGHT NOW.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Good for you. I'm trying to quit. I will go 2 days and break down...I notice I eat A LOT more when I'm not smoking..: (

keep quiting until you succeed. I think I must have quit 20 or so times before I succeeded. Good luck.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    YAY! Congrats!

Now...i'll go share this with my 81 yr old grandmother who refuses to quit...lol

She's 81, let her enjoy it, if I got to my 80's as a smoker no-one and nothing would make me stop :wink:
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting!
    I quit 21 years ago when I was pregnant with my first. I had always been a skinny-mini, but throw in having 2 kids, quitting smoking and having a sedentary lifestyle, the pounds just came on like crazy. Thankfully, it wasn't hard for me to quit smoking since I had the crazy pregnancy hormones going on at that time. Now with MFP, I'm finally starting to lose those pounds.
  • Bigwig236
    Bigwig236 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kimosabe. I hope you are an american cos im not sure what we brits would make of blow pops lol...
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Stop smoking the weed?? :smokin:

Well I'm happy you were able to kick the habbit & didn't lose your great attitude! Well done!
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    On Feb. 11 it will be 4 years since I quit. I smoked for about 15 years or so. I put on a lot of weight when I quit but I have about 15lbs left to go until I reach my goal weight and then I can reasess from there. Quitting smoking is one of the best things I have ever done for myself...right up there with loosing the weight and getting into shape!