HELP! ON THE VERGE OF QUITTING!!!!

Options

Replies

• jamieshrinking
    Options
    STOP. Do not live or die by the numbers on the scale. TAKE control, FORGIVE yourself, BRUSH your shoulders off, HOLD your head up high, and GET BACK TO IT.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Not to be a mega-b*tch, although I am, if you think that you are going to lose weight every week, you are wrong. I have gone periods as short as three weeks and as long as almost three months without losing. If you are going to give up that easily because you didn't get numerical confirmation that you are changing your life for the better, maybe you should quit. This isn't easy, but it's worth it.
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    It's only been two weeks.
    Look at the tickers of those who have responded to your post.
    If we all quit after two weeks, those tickers would say 0.
    Take your measurements.
    Eat.
    Exercise.
    And only get on the scale once a month, if that.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    A good day of eating is not 800 calories! I had a quick look at your journal - not enough calories, not enough protein, good carbs and veggies. 5-6 meals per day, proper hydration, adequate sleep, good fats, stay away from high processed foods and then practice patience. You need to get in for the looooooooooong haul

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This: too few calories, too much processed stuff, not enough water, really hard exercise on some days, but not consistent.

You are making it too hard. Eat well and balanced. Do go under by so many calories. Exercise most days for 30-45 minutes.
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    Platue!

This happened to me last year after I lost 30 pounds, I stoped loising then after I ate like THREE PEASES of PIZZA's, that was it I was tottally discourged! and I stopped counting at let my self go

BUT this may cheer you up, IT TOOK me sooo long to gain back all the pounds I lost so fast =) serously I was off the wegon and it took months before I started to see the gain.

SO DON't dispare =) you had fun, now time to strettle that hource and keep on ridding =) you got this =) just ride out this PLATUE =)

(BUt you should be eating more then 1,200, and more if you excersizce =)
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I would have hit the jackpot if I were paid for these threads today. :grumble:

Your body can fluctuate more than that (not fat, not muscle) on a daily basis. That is all you need to know!

^^^This. Even if your diary was public, this would still be the answer.

Agreed. Also, weight loss isn't measured by "yesterday"...it is a measure of progress over time. What you ate yesterday won't necessarily show up in your weight today. As long as your weight goes down over many months, you're doing it correctly.
  • KevinLamb77
    Options
    your weight will fluctuate. Some times I think there's no way I lost weight this week and bam 4 lbs gone. and others I think man I kicked *kitten* this week and nothin. It just happens the trick to this is to be consistant and to log everything. if you're consistant the results will come in the long run.
  • nicolejabbour2
    Options
    Let me just say, PLEASE do NOT give up... A quote I love, and tell my self consistently:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got"

Keep pushing, and know that your body weight can fluctuate 5lbs up and down.. I get discouraged too, we all do.
    Remember that your healing your body, and becomming more healthy internally, that's what should matter most.

KEEP going :), your down 9lbs!! Get your second win!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    Diary is now public.

First week went great nutritionally, worked out Tues, Thurs, Sat. ---- Gained 3 lbs.
    This week, not so great nurtitionally, no work outs
    Lost 2 lbs.

To be blunt... you are NOT great nutritionally if your logs are correct.

Eating 600 or 800 calories is NOT healthy.
  • monicabuc1
    monicabuc1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Start tracking your sodium. I consumed a large quantity the other day. Weighed myself the next morning and I was up 2lbs. Weighed myself this morning and now I'm down 2 lbs.

Don't give up! Even if you have a not so good day, you can always get back on track the next.

Good luck!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Looking at your log....I call bull****. Yes, that is insensitive. But Im bluntly honest. Your diet is ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Stop with the excuses and decide whether or not you want the change. If you do....suck it up, buttercup...and do what you need to.
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Dood! thats just not a good idea. Thats probably why there is a mfp to begin with lol.
  • Emile_Jarreau
    Emile_Jarreau Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey!

No quitting. A break maybe...but never quit. I'm new to this thread but thought I'd throw out some ideas.

This forum and My Fitness Pal is a fantastic tool to get ideas and pointers from friends along with killer supportive encouragement.

But one thing is proper interpretation of the information given and application of information once received. Many times I've heard another cool piece of advice and heard it from someone that heard it from someone and blindly followed it. Outcome? Dismal

Now that's me and certainly not what most people do. Some will research it to death and then attempt it armed with the new knowledge...then fail.

Others...no knowledge...just guts...and like a bull in a china shop...bam! Successful! WTH!

Point is...keep going no matter what. After 38 years of exercise and nutrition experience, I'm learning new things to try and experiment with on my own body...and then with the 1000's of bodies Ive helped over the years.

The biggest thing Ive learned is that what works for one body, doesn't work for them all and if the limitation of experience for one individual can be shared with others that have had success.

On top of that, with the ever increasing scientific understanding of our bodies...which is great...still can adapt to the ever increasing amount of illness and disease created by the "Frankenstein Food" that we eat that changes the playing field again and again.

Drop ALL process food. Milk and ALL dairy too...unless you've milked the cow or goat feeding only on grass.:)
    Cut the trips to Cheesecake Factory down...I love it too, but only once and a while :) Pasta I'm afraid has to get cut down too:(

Juice and soda must be replaced by water. Fresh water.

Do i expect change overnight with clients. Nope. it took me 38 years to get here remember...and I tried a whole new thing coming up that's basically carrying the same psychological challenges as someone trying to lose weight...I was so skinny I wanted to weight!

I ate JUNK ALL DAY N NIGHT. Spaghettio's, Snack Packs, Fast Food from ALL places, Sugar filled cereal soda...Junk all the time for years

But i know for a fact you can change...and as I'm sure many have said here to you already "If I can do it, so can you!"

Its all in our heads and the "old tapes" of failure we hear, plus and environment we live in along with a world that's absolutely CRAZY now with NEW and INSTANT solutions to what s more than a simple weight loss. Many , many factors are stacked against us...just need to not give up and get a coach or mentor that's been around and around the block, plus many other addiction blocks too:)

Hugs

Emile Jarreau ,aka, Mr. Fat Loss
  • saffordge
    saffordge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are working out, in the beginning I always gain a couple of lbs while fat gets changed into muscle and then after a couple of weeks of tracking what I eat and continuing to exercise, the lbs start melting away. Also, sometimes the scale is not the best indicator. Take other measurements, follow whatever program you are on and take the measurements again in 1 month, no cheating, it is only a month, it will be worth it. Keep going! Let me know how it goes!
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!! Our bodies sometimes do strange things when we wake it up. I just went through that today. When I got on the scale I was about 2 lbs heavier even though I ate right and worked out the day before. Also when I did sneak in some cheetos and fruit punch brisk I lost a few pounds! It can become a bit crazy but remember, you are worth the fight!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Gained 3, lost 2 = a gain of 1 pound which can totally be attributed to normal daily weight fluctuations and you're ready to throw the towel in? You need to re-evaluate how committed you are to this lifestyle change? And you're basing your decision off of the last 2 weeks? Weight loss takes time....it didn't take you 2 weeks to gain the weight did it? You need to re-committ, log every single bite (there's some sketchy logging in your diary), stop weighing yourself so frequently, once a week if you must but once a month is even better. Make healthy food choices, stay in your calorie goal, drink lot's of water and exercise....and have patience.
  • xoxo_Jennifer
    Options
    Busy life with 2 kids doesn't always allow for balanced meals, and I'm choosing to not eat if I'm not hungry.

Doing it all wrong, so I hear.
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I gained back 16 pounds the last month went back over 200 and my size 16 pants are super tight now. But you know what tomorrow is a new day. You can do this. Don't give up because the scale isn;t moving. Let me tell you about my spinal fusion surgery I was scheduled for soon. It's been put off indefinately. Why because I started working out, lifting weights, and now I hardly even need pain medication now. Wow, I feel like a human being again. MFP will help you. You can do this.

The Human spirit is amazing. You don't even know what youre capable until you try. A year and half ago I left my spouse of 10 years a drug addict who left me 250,000 dollars in debt, I was in academic bankruptcy in grad school and default on my student loans, I also owe 4 years back taxes to the IRS and had to file them married filing seperate because he kept his W2s which made me owe over 4000. I was evicted from my house, got my car reposed and he stole my pay check while I had a kidney infection. I was suicidal...But this week I purchased my first car since the divorce, my tax return will pay almost my whole back taxes, I have a job using my degree which I will be at a year next month and my student loans are out of default, plus I weight 30 pounds less than when I was married and I got my name back. Did I mention I was 17 hours from home and all friends and family. I also survived being rearended by a semi and have disc injury in my back. So no excuses you can do this.. if I can you can.. :)

So don't quit. Yo ucan do this...
  • Hollthulhu
    Hollthulhu Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you even eating enough to metabolize? Do you know your BMR and TDEE? I have no idea how much you weigh based off your picture, but your starting diary entries looked like you were trying to starve yourself, and your routine hasn't improved much since. You really need to educate yourself about those two things and follow them (if you don't already know about them)!!!! You want to make your calorie range is between your BMR and TDEE......

Also, you should invest in a tape measure and make measurements. Working out a lot means you are also gaining some muscle, which = "weight"... I hope this helps, but really.. check those things and see if you need to adjust your eating goals.

You can do it! :)

Also if you want more accurate weight, you weigh every day, then you take the average of those days. Weight goes up and down - AND you have to do it first thing in the morning after you've used the bathroom. Make sure you wear the same amount of clothes, as clothes have weight too. You probably already know all that, but one never knows.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    There are single parents with 2-3 kids on MFP that have managed to figure out meals and workouts.

Stop weighing yourself so much - the scale is unreliable. Limit it to once every 2-3 weeks and rely on measurements.

Log everything! Even if it is a bad day - log it. And don't undereat. I see a few days where you come in at 400-700 cals. There are other days you are coming in just over 1100.

It's not about ONLY eating healthy...that's why I really dislike when people adopt an all or nothing attitude. Eat what you are able to afford or make that fits in your calorie goals. Changes in eating habits take time...but at least get yourself used to watching your portions.

Just honestly though - you are coming so low under your calorie goals.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865230-resources-and-references

For those eating below their BMR:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/859495-if-only-i-had-known?page=1#posts-12919931

For the whole eating under a 1000 calories, look...you are going to do what you want but check out the link below at some of the stories of people who thought it was okay (especially because they weren't "feeling" hungry a lot of times) but ended up regretting it. These links are just information to give you options. I'm not preaching or trying to tell you or anyone what is the "right way"...just throwing some info your way is all.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3-reasons-why-eating-less-than-1000-calories-is-a-waste-of-time-3347.html

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.

Also - this is your life and you are in control of it. If you want, you'll figure out a way to eat healthier, plan meal options etc. Like I said, there are many single parents with 2+ kids that are struggling, but they have managed to do it. And hopefully with you taking better care of yourself (through food and exercise), your kids will also notice and look up to you, adopting your new healthy habits as well.

Also keep in mind that the only way to fail is to quit. Here are some quotes that I have on my profile that remind me to keep moving forward...two of them from those that are on MFP.

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.” ~Maya Angelou

"Don't worry about yesterday. You've got the knowledge to go forward and that's all that counts" - MFPer DavPul

"Stop being weak, only weak people allow themselves to be sabotaged" - MFPer Acg67