Do we marry within our socio-economic class?

Options

Replies

• RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I think we're more likely to interact within our socio-economic groups and thereby marry within them. My parents were both born here, but children of immigrants to this country, both raised their way to middle class through education, hard work and maybe some lucky breaks, but many lucky breaks they worked themselves toward.

My wife was born here, but to parents that had only been in this country for about a year, neither had any formal education. They stressed education, working hard at school. For me, less stress on it, but significant expectation of a college degree.

My wife and I had different routes to education, but neither much values it other than a way to how it allows us to do a job we love and make a livable wage. We're both teachers. For her, it was a socio-economic rise, for me, pretty much where my parents are. But our connection is not the socio-economic as much as shared interests, values and experiences that our similar socio-economics led us to and a chance for exposure.

On a side note, I most definitely did not marry my mother, BUT I may have married a sexy beautiful version of my sister/best friend. (YIKES!)
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I think statistically we marry/couple with someone of similar educational level. The actual job or amount of money is less important. In fact, opposite talents are probably a good thing. For example, a doctor could marry a teacher, but both will have PhD in their respective careers. At that level, the decision may be conscious. For most of us, it just happens that way. My husband and I fall into the "some college" category and are both entrepreneurs in very different industries.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty strong belief that girls marry guys like their fathers. Maybe boys marry girls like their mothers. But I have a stronger belief and have even observed how we stay pretty much within our socio-economic class. I've seen it over and over.

Facebook is interesting in that regard. As we get older, we can see how life plays itself out. I had a classmate who's father was a surgeon. All 3 kids went to upper tier schools. The daughters married a surgeon and a dentist. The son became a surgeon.

What have you observed?

My sister... yes.... Me... Not so much. I am good luck chuck anyway. So I am sure I get kudos for helping other chicks find the love of their life.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think there's truth to it, at least in the ways that people approach money. Boyfriend is pretty middle class. My parents made six figures but lived very well below their means so it's more like I'm lower middle class. I would be intimidated if I were to date someone much richer and maybe they would always be worried I was really just a gold digger.

It's kind of like looks. People tend to be with others that are about as attractive as they are. There's exceptions, but not a lot. Except looks is superficial while managing money is not. Someone that has always been on a shoestring budget is going to have a hard time getting along with someone who is used to spending money like it's water.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options

This is good. Thanks! I am still reading...
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you had a good father, or if you had a bad father, but have low self esteem.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I believe you are wrong.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I grew up very poor. I do alright now. Make s me wonder what my socio-economic class would be considered. I still hang with friend in the trailer park, but spend time at some pretty high end mixers.

Weird.
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    winners gravitate towards winners and vice versa.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!

Agree. I'm the youngest of 7, my wife the youngest of 10. Each of the 17 came friom the same socio-economic class, yet each married differently (and what I mean here is that some married big losers). So winners attract and are attracted to winners.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I like to think I married up. Me and the wife used to make the same. Economy and layoffs happen, and now she makes 2.5 more than I. But she said it best. We loved each oher when we were broke. We can love each other even though I make more than you. True story. My ego took a shot for a while, but well, life is good. Money isn't always everything.
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Personally, I married for love. There is an economic gap between our families but its never been an issue for us because we have vary similar values. goals and ambitions.

For the record, I am nothing like her father and she is nothing like my mother.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Eh my husband an I came from different classes/background.

My husband's dad was military. He has 2 brothers and 1 sister. His family REALLY struggled while he was young and my husband went on to join the military to better himself.

My dad was never educated, my mother a teacher. We were probably upper-middle class. We didnt have everything we wanted but most of the time.

My husband and I met when he was home on leave and me home from college. He was attractived to me bc I was a girl doing something with her life (unlike the girls he met or dated before). I adored him because he was determined (and sexy!)

We married. I have a 4 year degree, he has a AA degree working on his BA. We didn't start out the same in life.... but we have alot in common other than our background.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I can understand the idea of staying within the same class level. I, on the other hand, met and am now engaged to some one who grew up in poverty. I have always been in the upper middle class, and to me the idea of being with someone who never knew the luxuries I did fascinated and thrilled me. Two years later, we find it difficult to agree on any financial basis. While he is frugal and almost money hungry in a sense, I grew up with the idea that money was easy to find and easier to spend. His social class has given him this idea that he doesn't belong above a certain level, that ambitions are not wise. It is very interesting to see. Irregardless, he is a wonderful person, and I don't care if he grew up in Beverly Hills or slums in Mexico.

While I would be honored to be half the woman his mother is, he is nothing like my demeaning, arrogant prick of a father.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    We have the same familiy background..but the difference is I went to college..and he didnt. I worked in IT and he was in the mailroom..What brought us together was family values....Now....he barely makes $12/hr..and I am in the six figures..doesnt matter because we still have our beliefs...that will never change...its a God thing...
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I believe you are wrong.

I second this belief.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I majored in economics and minored in psych. I took some courses that directly discussed this more than once.

It doesn't matter what you think or believe, the research suggests that most people die in the socio-economic life style they were born into. Very, very few are an exception to this. So, most of you are right in that, your social world involves people like you. That's who you meet and that's who you become.
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You marry who you love or all fails.

We aren't in a caste system and I find the notion that we might be, revolting.

:heart: Amen!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone else, but this is not the case with me. My dad made/makes a crapton of money (though I never got a dime of it growing up, lol) but my husband grew up embarrassingly poor. We are now solid middle-class, and happy with that.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of factors that go into our attractions. I grew up with the silver spoon, my sister is married to a multi-millionaire...they live in different states..yeah. I on the other hand chose happiness over money...sometimes I have neither. And I'd have to say I will not marry again anyway...but no, I tend to find men in my own se class to be stuck up jerks, not all, but enough to make me not even look....and so I'm dating a construction worker. I support myself and my kids on my own and live paycheck to paycheck. I've had men try and impress me with money and try and tempt me with trips..but if I'm not attracted, I'm not attracted. I've always kinda thought my sister sold herself to the highest bidder, she didn't of course..but why stay married if you don't want to live in the same state?
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

This is good. Thanks! I am still reading...

This surprises me... especially that chart on household incomes. It has us in the top 20% but we sure don't FEEL like that!