Question about diet / exercise / menstrual cycle

Options
I'm on the pill and have been for years. I have been dieting and exercising for about 5 weeks now. However this week I've started my cycle (1 week early) and I haven't missed any pills. Have you experienced this? I've read (online) it may be due to the drastic change in lifestyle ie: exercise and lower calorie intake. If this is the case, how long will it last and should there be major concern? Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I' surprised yours changed being on the pill. I use nuvaring and mine is like clock work even during and after my lifestyle change. Don't really have any advise but I do think it's weird.
  • I'm on the pill and have been for years. I have been dieting and exercising for about 5 weeks now. However this week I've started my cycle (1 week early) and I haven't missed any pills. Have you experienced this? I've read (online) it may be due to the drastic change in lifestyle ie: exercise and lower calorie intake. If this is the case, how long will it last and should there be major concern? Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Im on my cycle right now and I havent changed anything..My calorie intake is the same and exercising the same but drinking more water than usual.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Last summer I started eating better and exercising a lot to train for my first half marathon. My last cycle was August 2011, and still have not had one. I've already talked to doctors, and they said it was because of that.
  • nessa786
    nessa786 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Havent had a period for 10 months after I had my son (only breastfed for a month). Lost all my baby weight in 2 weeks, but was in college at night and gained 40 lbs in the course of the 10 months (late night meals). I have lost 10 lbs in the last month and finally had a period 2 1/2 weeks ago...and started having a period AGAIN 3 days ago. I did not miss them LOL. Ive talked to other people and they said it could be because of hormone levels changing with the weight loss
  • chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Almost every time I've started doing low carb I've started spotting within 2 weeks and had periods way out of normal. I don't know why either, I was hoping regulating my blood sugar would help my periods not make them worse. But you're not alone, and next doctor appointment I'm going to ask about it.
  • robinskv
    robinskv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Mine has improved as far as the cramping and my PMS that used to be horrible and long lasting is hardly noticeable now. I think there are changes and everybody will be different. It may level out in a couple months, but with you being on the pill, it won't hurt to call your doc to verify.
  • thatawesomechick82
    thatawesomechick82 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My cycles became much shorter, however I am on nothing at all. Doesn't hurt to ask a professional!
  • Motivation4KB
    Motivation4KB Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's nothing to be concerned about.. Just let your body get adjusted to the new life changes your making.. when I was doing the unhealthy way not exercising or eating high calories my body was so off track i never knew when i would have a cycle.. but once i changed my life style they are normal ..
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Stress, weight loss and exercise have pushed mine back a week from it's normal time. Kinda hope it stays that way so I avoid starting mine on vacation this month....what was I thinking booking our vacation during THAT week?!?! :noway:
  • ShinyBaubles
    Options
    My cycle used to be very irregular a couple years ago when I was at my highest weight. When I started to switch to more healthy eating and regular exercise, my cycle became much more regular. I'm not on the pill though.

If your cycle is usually ruled by your pills, you might want to give your Gynecologist or Physician a call to make sure there's nothing to worry about.
  • liz_steinborn
    liz_steinborn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'd talk with the doc.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have had a 32-34 day cycle for years, but every month since I started eating better and exercising regularly, the cycle has gotten shorter and shorter. Last month I started on the 15th and I've already started cramping & my breasts are fairly tender indicating that I should be starting again anytime within the next week. Oi vey! I most commonly hear of women whose cycles become longer or stop all together. Wish I had been one of those women. :ohwell:

If you are concerned, I would definitely recommend a call to your OB/GYN.

And congratulations on the changes you are making for yourself!! :flowerforyou:
  • michelle850
    michelle850 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not on the pill, but when I changed my diet and stared exercising more my cycles kept coming earlier and earlier. They seem to have evened out though now, and have been regular the last 2 or 3 months.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yes mine has been all over the place. I'm on it now and it's actually a week and a half early LOL. I'm not on the pill, but when I was mine always started right on time........
  • Stargirlsmiles88
    Stargirlsmiles88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. I've always had regular periods on and off the pill...I've been on the pill about 4 years. Last summer, I tried to start getting into shape, and started exercising. I started spotting shortly thereafter, and it freaked me out....I thought I was maybe pregnant even though I had used the pill correctly, so I stopped the pill and stopped exercising. Then it was confirmed I wasn't pregnant, so I got back on the pill and it worked its way back to its"normal time". I've started working out again about 3 weeks ago, exercising 4-5 times a week @ ~30 mins a day, and I started spotting last Thursday, and am still spotting, while my period is due for Sunday. So I really believe it is "big change to your lifestyle" related.
  • ChelleChelle77
    ChelleChelle77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I called my doctor. She said it is due to the drastic change... sitting on the couch to exercising. She said not sure why it happens. Some ppl it happens to and some it doesn't (YAY ME!!) She said to continue my birth control and the exercising and it should work itself out. Thanks for all the tips, advice, and sharing. It's always good to know you are not alone.
  • anagraphy
    anagraphy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was googling this very problem and came across your post. Did you find out anything about the connection between low carb and this wonky period thing?

I realize you posted this eight months ago, but I'll do anything to find out. My doctor say it's nbd, but it's getting to be a hassle... not to mention expensive!
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    In high school I had no periods because I was so active. I would have one maybe every 6 months or so for 3 days at a time. This is a common occurrence but I suggest consulting your primary care provider for further evaluation.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My cycles gotten shorter, too! I hadn't considered that this might play a part it in it. Interesting!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I was googling this very problem and came across your post. Did you find out anything about the connection between low carb and this wonky period thing?

I realize you posted this eight months ago, but I'll do anything to find out. My doctor say it's nbd, but it's getting to be a hassle... not to mention expensive!

I have had these issues. Two different gyns put me on the Pill for it, but then I bled constantly for weeks on end. I had a polyp removed, but was back at it within two months. The only solution they have offered is ablation, which I am still considering. I have cut out processed soy - I do still eat edamame, but avoid soy proteins and lecithin - things often found in high protein bars, shakes, etc.. (Thanks for the reminder to check my new lean cuisines) I have been stable for about a year now. I can't promise it was the soy, but I have been on everything from the all McDs diet to a low carb diet and still fine. Now that I am off McDs, I am focused on clean eating, rather than low carb. Except for the aforementioned occasional lean cuisine.