Anyone on keto?

Options
I recently started a keto diet and I heard of this thing called 'keto flu' and well, I have the most horrible headache and earache, aches in my neck and an upset stomach. Would this be keto flu and how long will it last? Thanks guys!

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've never put myself into keto but those are the symptoms I've read about.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    A week or so, I think.

But some people can't do keto, because they never come out of it.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    are you talking about ketoacidosis? cause that is fatal....

eat whole foods, consume 20% less than TDEE and exercise..that really is all you need not fads. This sounds scarey as hell.. youre body is telling you it is bad for you...listen.
  • xoxerinxox
    Options

eat whole foods, consume 20% less than TDEE and exercise..that really is all you need not fads. This sounds scarey as hell.. youre body is telling you it is bad for you...listen.

Ketosis! Just a super low carb diet, I wouldn't do anything that could really harm me :)
  • Itzli
    Itzli Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If its making you sick, stop doing it! Try something else..
  • VeronicaAM
    Options
    Google for body recomposition they have info and blogs about it
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am doing lyles rfl
  • soldierbot
    soldierbot Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Copied this from r/keto sidebar

"You may experience nausea, headaches, dizziness, mental fog and other flu-like symptoms. This phenomenon is often called ‘keto-flu’ or ‘carb-flu. Many times this is the result of your electrolytes being flushed out along with water weight. If you drink some traditional chicken or beef broth you can replenish your electrolytes and ease your symptoms. It is also incredibly important to drink plenty of water! Your water intake will keep you hydrated and it will help flush out excess ketones."

Congrats on taking the steps to make a change.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eat carbs... or maybe stop the diet...
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Keto flu can last a day or even a few hours. I hit deep keto today and it gave me a headache. I just drank more water.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to suffer doing an unsustainable "diet"? Keto is a waste of time. Calories are calories when it comes to weight loss. Severely restricting carbs will probably lead to greater initial weight loss as your body stops holding water. Once you go off the low carb diet you water weight will rebound.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto successfully for 4 months with amazing results. There is a keto support group on MFP. Do a search in the group section.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to suffer doing an unsustainable "diet"? Keto is a waste of time. Calories are calories when it comes to weight loss. Severely restricting carbs will probably lead to greater initial weight loss as your body stops holding water. Once you go off the low carb diet you water weight will rebound.

YEA, YOU GO! SO BRAVE! This diet is just totally unsustainable! Just ignore my progress bar please!
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Copied this from r/keto sidebar

"You may experience nausea, headaches, dizziness, mental fog and other flu-like symptoms. This phenomenon is often called ‘keto-flu’ or ‘carb-flu. Many times this is the result of your electrolytes being flushed out along with water weight. If you drink some traditional chicken or beef broth you can replenish your electrolytes and ease your symptoms. It is also incredibly important to drink plenty of water! Your water intake will keep you hydrated and it will help flush out excess ketones."

Congrats on taking the steps to make a change.

I second this. It usually takes me three days to get through keto flu. Hope you feel better soon.
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just got put on a low carb diet and I love it! I felt weak for about a day but now I'm doing a lot better. I am finding that I don't crave sweats or breads like I thought I would. What I love abou it is that I will eventually be able to add some of those things back into the diet, it just won't be as much as it used to be. I don't think my body processes sugar and carbs very well and that is why I couldn't lose weight. Like everyone has said, calories are calories and it doesn't really matter where they come from (carbs or protein or fat, the good kinds of fat of course), so for me and for some people our bodies just don't process them very well. I had been at a standstill for a year and a half. I was eating the proper amount of calories and working out religiously. I was just stuck. Now that I am doing low carb I am finally getting some weight off. It's still a slow process but it's at least moving in the right direction. So I say that whatever works, do it.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Chicken broth. Salty foods. Your body will dump salt on ketosis so you need to ingest more.
  • supbanana
    supbanana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some people never get the flu, I had it for six weeks (two days of which I could not even get out of bed). Getting broth in you does help!

Also, ketosis and ketoacidosis are two entirely separate things. KetoACIDosis is a serious diabetic complication. Ketosis is a harmless dietary state in which your body is producing ketones.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yeah I never had this. Maybe mild headaches but that could be caffeine withdrawal. I think my body just operates very well on low carb to begin with.
  • madeofcake
    Options
    Lite salt helps a lot - I use Morton's (more potassium in it than in supplements!). Hang in there!
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options

besides being hot your awesome logic is why we are friends