Weight loss and anti depressants

Options
Hi, my name is Amy, I am 36 years old and trying to loose about 40 pounds. I was laid off from my job in 2010, and have been on a constant search since then. I was thurst into being a stay at home mom to my now 4 year old little boy. I am in no way cut out to be a stay at home mom, and really hate it. About two years ago I was so depressed that I would only yell, and knew that I had to do something about it. I went to the Doctor's and was prescribed Paxil, after many tries, I am now on Pristiq and it is working great.

Sometime early in 2011 I tore a tendon in my ankle, was in one of those awful boots for almost 8 months. Gained a lot of weight with that too. Finally had surgery last March and am finally feeling pretty good and want to get moving again.

Looking for people in the same boat, I CRAVE sweets, and can never say no. I am going to really try, but just need some support,

Thanks all!

Replies

• nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your troubles. No one said "LIFE" would be easy, that's for sure. Just remember, the changes you make will give you more years with your son. Don't try to take too many steps at once, just little ones to get you going. These are the things that have worked for me:

1) Track all my food in the food diary
    2) Drink lots of water
    3) When I want to eat something, I pop a sugarless mint in my mouth
    4) Eat more fruits/vegetables. Sometimes easier said than done, but find what you like and stock up on it. Eat it even if you'd rather have a candy bar.
    5) Get moving

Good luck! You have so much to live for!!!
  • kumanekochan
    kumanekochan Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am also have two kinds of antidepressants, Sertiline and Abilify
    I've gainned a good bit of weight because of that and my binge eating with depression.
    I've just recently tried to reclaim my life again and this is what I'm doing.

Starting off making sure I drink 4 cups of water a day and only 1 diet soda a day. I plan to eventually cut the diet out all together and have my cups up to 8 a day. I sometimes drink 8 a day now but my goal is 4.

track regardless of how I eat. I'm trying to make it a habit.

I also took measurements and weighed myself, took starting pictures.

It took me 22 years to get this way, gotta take baby steps to get back out of it :)
  • black_cats
    black_cats Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Looking for people in the same boat, I CRAVE sweets, and can never say no. I am going to really try, but just need some support,

I am on Effexor (very similar to Pristiq) and my goodness the sugar cravings are insane. I have never been THAT big on sugar until I started Effexor. My boyfriend is on Pristiq and has the same issue.
    I've started having fruit whenever I crave sweet things, or a glass of water with lemon. You CAN have that sweet treat, just everything in moderation :)
  • aw111100
    aw111100 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Amy,

My name is Amy also. I don't have children but I have recently been laid off and it is driving me crazy. I have found myself with out much of a schedule and have discovered that I eat because I am bored. I also gained quite a bit of weight after I broke my foot, was in one of those boots for about 6months, and also had surgery. I was laid up for three months afterward and the pounds packed on. Then even more packed on when I became depressed after my mother suddenly passed away. So I understand exactly where your coming from. I am glad that you are feeling better and ready to regain control. Gaining control is harder sometimes easier than said, but it is obtainable. For me tracking the foods good or bad has helped me to realize what is really in the foods that I eat. I did fall off the wagon lol so to speak for a bit, but I'm back on here and more driven to lose the weight. You said that you love sweets, I am right there with you. Depending on what type of sweets you like you could try buying the small versions of them just to get the taste or try mixing sweet with healthy such as strawberries or frozen bananas in choc syrup. That way its a little of the sweet but some healthy too. Another thing that maybe would help you with your sweet cravings could be getting some of the sugar free gum that tastes like mint choc or banana split. I cant have those because I am allergic to NutraSweet and aspartame so I use reg gum. I just put them in my snack category. Drinking the 1% choc milk also is an option. You get the sweetness of the choc with the good qualities of the milk. That is if you like milk. Obviously I am not a nutritionist or anything, but those are a couple of things that have helped me enjoy my sweets but also to stay on track as well. I need to lose about 100lbs and Ive decided that I am no longer saying diet. It really is a life change of better habits. We are human and wont be perfect all the time but keep moving forward and you can reach your goal :).
  • zagrath769
    zagrath769 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I am bi-polar and am on Abilify and Lamotrigine. These meds do make it difficult to lose weight. One of the side effects of them is weight gain. I don't have any children (6 cats and a dog), but I don't work. I have COPD (lung disease) and am on disability. Being at home all the time does get dull and boring....and I get cabin fever a lot. I find if I go out every few days it helps. I go to Curves to work out, I go sing karaoke with friends once a week, and I go shop at the thrift and consignment stores too!
  • c3jaam
    c3jaam Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Anti-depressents over the years, and losing my job, I packed on the pounds.
    My husband found when he craves sweets, to have fruit (berries) in yogurt.
    I find I can't have chocolate because of my migraines, so I dont really crave sweets anymore.
    With the depression, I didn't always leave the house. I saved up and bought a treadmill and put it in my living room. My house is not big, but I find that I get bored on the treadmill, so I turn the TV on and watch something and stay on the treadmill longer. I have an exercise ball for abs, I have 3 lb weights that Iift with for trices, biceps and shoulders.
    I am not flexible enough for yoga, but do have a pilates video I do once in a while.
    My story is being super skinny 15 years ago. Dec. 2011 being my heaviest at 202 at 5'1. (I was two of me, in 15 years since my wedding) I am down to 174. It was hard, but I have encouragement from here. New goal is to 150 by Aug. 1 for my husband's 20th class reunion. I have faith I can do it. I was at 150 for my 10th Anniversary and looked good. Not skinny, but definienetly not as heavy as I have been.
    I was also a binge eater. I just don't allow the stuff in the house anymore. If my husband wants "bad food", he can buy it and leave it in his car or at his work.
    Even when I buy bulk almonds, I come home, seperate them 12 into a snack bag. Then I know I am allowed 1snack bag a day. And I don't sit and eat them by the handful.
    I dont always log my food, but do log my exercise. I do eat around 1200 calories per day.
  • amyb108
    amyb108 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and sweet words. I am really going to start trying to log my food, and get moving again after the surgery. I just need the motivation, and maybe if I make myself accountable on here it will be good for me. I look forward to spend some time on here getting to know everyone.
  • georgina200179
    Options
    Hi I have just joined I'm not really overweight but I do know that as long as you burn the same amount of calories as what you eat then u will have no problem there is always something you can do to burn calories then you can practically eat what u want. A 70. Year old gos to the classes I go to the gym and because of this she doesn't have diabetes or heart problems any more!, just shows what you can do if you really want to no matter what problems you have. Good luck if u push yourself and feel the BENIFITS you will feel great and resolve a lot of problems you do have. I take anti anxiety tablets and doing exercise makes me feel like I don't need them as much. I have to force myself to do it mind but once I do it I feel great Xx