Is Couch to 5K possible for possible knee injury?

Options
I've been to an ortho doc in the past for my knee.. basically my right knee slips back and forth. So if I step wrong or when I am on my knees, I hear it pop or it can slide. This can also happen when just walking. Not all the time but occasionally.

Do you think it would be safe to start the Couch to 5K with this issue? Should I get a knee brace? Would that help? I would really just hate falling while running around my neighborhood.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Replies

• OhFitness
    OhFitness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes,

1. You'll need a good knee brace, plus you need to complete a good rehab program for the knee too. If you have health insurance, head back to the ortho. If you no longer have health insurance, check out the PhysioExercises Channel on Youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3F4LBR9aAI

2. Check out Jeff Galloway's 5k running program. I use it all the time with my clients, because it's an evidenced based injury free program.
  • ImmaZombie
    Options
    Thank you so much. I don't have health insurance but will take a look at the youtube channel you spoke of. Thanks again.
  • megedoug
    megedoug Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get something to stabilize your knee. Once you're set with that, I thought C25K was the first running program I've tried in years that didn't hurt my knee.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your ortho about easing into running. They know the most about your injury and recovery.

That said, I would assume that if you wore good shoes, had a brace or some support, and were conscious of your form, that you would be able to do C25K.
  • ImmaZombie
    Options
    Yeah, I know Couch to 5K is a good way to start running. Sometimes when I'm walking, I just feel like jogging, even a slight bit, but I'd hate to fall and be crying and to be blocks from home. lol I'll go check out some knee braces and see what might fit. Couch to 5K has just been on my mind and I'm eager to try.

BTW, it's been about 9 years since I saw an ortho and I don't live there any longer.. and I don't have health insurance to pay for it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Please confirm with your doctor.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have severely malaligned patellas, which cause my kneecaps to slip out of place and at times completely (luckily temporarily) dislocate. I struggled with this all my life and finally had a very extensive surgery to correct one of them. I still need to get the other done, but don't have 6 weeks to be on crutches.

So, anyway, my point is...

You can order medical grade knee braces online without a prescription. Visit a distributer that sells Bregg and DonJoy and find a brace that is suited to patellar instability. I have DonJoy TruPull Lite braces and they work really well. I am able to run without having any subluxations at all (dislocations or sliding) and the neoprene provides great compression for the knee that has screws in it.

They are more expensive than the braces you buy at Walgreens ($100 a piece) but well worth it if you're going to run or engage in fitness activities on a regular basis. I have been using mine for a year and they are still very functional and don't seem to be wearing out.

Look online at The Brace Shop or a similar outlet to see what's available. Good braces may be all you need to be successful at C25K.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    as the others have said .... get doctor's ok, maybe a brace and take it easy.

Also - always when you run take your phone to call for help if needed and money for cab fare home if the worst happens.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Unless you can scrape together the money to see a someone about it I'd suggest not doing it at all. If you injure yourself while you're running what will you do then?

That being said I run, dance and train with knee injuries successfully, but I worked them all back into my recovery with a physiotherapist after being unable to do anything (except for hobble!) for months last year. Perhaps a physio would be cheaper?
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I suggest being evaluated by an orthopedic or sports physical therapist. Let them know you want to get into running and they can address everything from bracing to shoe wear/possible orthotics, and exercises to stabilize your knee based on individualized muscle testing and balance to come up with a plan that's specific for YOU. It will help prevent injury as well as make running more enjoyable for you.
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would be hesitant to do this without seeing a doctor and another problem that you might have is finding a brace that fits your knee properly. It seems that you and I are nearly the same weight and I have yet to find one that fits my knee without slipping downward all the time. By the time I lose enough to get my meniscus repaired I'm sure a brace will fit me just fine.

This is what my doctor said about wanting to walk a 5K. If any of the following was happening by training for it, I needed to quit 1. Intense pain, 2. Knee locking up, 3. Knee giving out. Sounds like you fall under the third one here and should either not do it or double check with a doctor before trying. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but better this than doing more damage to it.

You might consider other kinds of exercise like water aerobics.
  • ImmaZombie
    Options
    Yeah, my ortho said that I needed to do strength training on my right knee to build up the muscle then he thought I might not have an issue with it slipping. I have looked into water aerobics. Guess I should look into that again now that I'm actually losing weight. Thanks for the advice/suggestions.