You don't NEED..............

Options

Replies

• weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give most of the people posting in this thread a pass because they seem new here. Reading thru the first 2 pages almost no one got the intention of this post. They don't get that they are on the same side of the argument as the OP.

Right?

Anyone who states I can live without carbs is not on the same page as I am.
  • titanium96
    titanium96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You DONT need a personal trainer!!
  • initforlife_clc
    Options
    Many people don’t NEED a lot of things in their diet.

However, in my opinion….it’s not a matter of just staying alive, it’s about being as healthy and satisfied as possible. So you can continue trying to convince people and posting topics regarding how people don’t need certain nutrients or things in their diet and how if they give up such and such they will be able to live (you didn't state that, but all these posts recently about taking certain things out of your diet to make us healthier is getting old- quit trying to be professionals that you just aren't!!!), meanwhile, I’ll read and listen to texts that make sense for a person that likes food and can afford it, I will continue to enjoy eating healthy amounts from every food group. I love carbs, I love dairy….I don’t need to give them up to be healthy. Can I survive without these things? Yeah sure, probally….look at the poverty in the world and at how many people go without certain nutrients and healthy foods such as carbs, protein, dairy on a daily basis....but is there more to life than just ‘surviving’ and ‘staying a float’? In my opinion, YES!

So to clarifie, do I agree with you saying you don't NEED this stuff? Yeah, sure, mildly...do I understand why you posted this? Not even a little and last but not least.....in order for someone to be healthy, satisfied and obtain many nutritional benefits from each of the food groups you mentioned (carbs, dairy....not fast food, iphone and those pointless, obvious things you included..) you do NEED to eat them. This was a pointless post in my opinion. Enough with the whole- you don't need this, you shouldn't eat that.....eat reasonable amounts from each food group, exercise regualarily, watch for overconsumption on certain nutrients (or under consumption) and you will be leading yourself to your healthiest life. Just my opinion and I know others will probally be throwing me under the bus- but hey if you want to avoid certain foods- go for it, I'll be happy over here enjoying what I can from every food group, my fitness and health. Obtaining nutrients from the first few foods that you mentioned has only made me the strongest, and most healthiest I've been in 28 years!

Happy eating everyone!
  • jendarlin
    jendarlin Posts: 184 Member
    Options

A Cadillac Expedition

Oh a new car!? Where can I find one of these Cadillac/Fords?:wink::laugh:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Physiologically speaking you do NEED carbs. To fuel your brain, or else it doesn't run properly.
    Maybe. Carbs are non essential though. You can live without them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Sorry, I totally disagree. I would not be able to perform if I ate no carbs. Carbs fuel my workouts.

I can't tell if you are being intentionally ignorant of what Niner is saying or are just truly not versed in the science but you do not NEED carbs for survival. They are not an essential nutrient like proteins and fats. I eat them and so do most people and yes they can help fuel your workouts. However, they are not essential to survival and your body will use gluconeogesis to convert amino acids to glucose, as has already been stated in this thread.

To make it painfully obvious, his point is that people post in various threads all the time about how you don't need X (insert whatever thier personal agenda item is). Niner is saying you don't. But you can if you want.

Did you even read the whole thread??
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Meat
    Dairy
    Carbs
    Processed Foods
    Fast foods

You also don't need

TV
    iphone apps
    Coach bags
    A Cadillac Expedition

But it's OKAY if you want to have them.....................................

Just putting that out there for the "health police".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

/Food and Nutrition board.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    ain't nobody getting my iphone....I'm just saying:noway:
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Pants. Nobody needs pants.

^ THIS

And bras, they suck
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

^ THIS

And bras, they suck

I'm in favor!! Off with all the bras!!! :drinker:
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You do need carbs - good carbs not sugar and white flour though! Or your brain cannot function and you will get mood swings.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give most of the people posting in this thread a pass because they seem new here. Reading thru the first 2 pages almost no one got the intention of this post. They don't get that they are on the same side of the argument as the OP.

^^Yep. It's been entertaining so far lol.
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

1.5+ years professional experience as MFP troll
    Homemade Coffee Roaster
    12+ years of experience in homebrewing beer
    Official Spokesman of the Anti-Pineapple on Pizza Campagin
    Hippy Hater
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Or bras
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

^ THIS

And bras, they suck
    ooos should have read before I posted.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Physiologically speaking you do NEED carbs. To fuel your brain, or else it doesn't run properly.
    Maybe. Carbs are non essential though. You can live without them.

you're both right............... but while some people's brains will run with no noticeable loss of function on a zero carb diet, my brain will not. I have PTSD which has mostly gone away now thank God, but it gets worse/makes a comeback if I don't eat enough carbs. I've even read a scientific study about low carb diets sometimes causing worsening or a relapse with anxiety disorders... something that people should be aware of, even if it doesn't apply to everyone who has them.

I do agree with the general point of your opening post though. Just because you *can* live without something, doesn't mean you shouldn't have it. There's too much food puritanism going on. Food is supposed to be enjoyed, and people should be able to enjoy something without going OTT about it to the extend that it damages their health.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You are blowing my miiiiiiiiiiiiiiinddddddddddddddddd............

bindblow_zps68932c71.gif
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I may not need it but if I don't get it watch out...
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options

It's in the 20's here and I am a wimp. I NEED pants.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I need dairy and meat or I would kill someone. Just saying.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I think we all need hugs. So put that on my list of needs to survive.