Girls with Great Skin

Options
kaleas
kaleas Posts: 200
I'm getting to the bottom of all of my current products and I'm looking to "upgrade" my routine, and spend a bit more money on my skincare. On a good day, here's my normal routine:

Morning:

Wash with cold water
Eye Creme for Dark Circles
Moisturize with Earth Organics Almond Fragrance free with SPF 15.

Night:

Wash with Avalon Organics Creme, or Neutrogena Stress Scrub once or twice a week
Eye Creme
Olay Night Rejuvenation Creme

My issue is that Olay tests on animals, and I still have issues with black heads on my nose and on my chin. I normally have pretty nice skin but it's sensitive and will break out almost every time I wear make up. Recently I've been having issues with my complexion and it may just be because I need to replace my makeup brushes.

I'm curious to hear what your routine is for great skin, and what products you swear by.

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have been to a dermatologist to have my acne treated. She recommended only using hypo allergenic and alcohol free products to prevent the skin from "acting out" due to reactions to the products.
    What she recommended I use:

Mornings:

Gentle hypo allergenic foaming face wash.
    Oil free hypo allergenic face cream (preferably containing some salicylic acid).
    Oil free hypo allergenic sunscreen.
    Hypo allergenic eye cream.

Evening:

Gentle hypo allergenic foaming wash.
    Benzoyl peroxide 2.5-5%.
    Hypo allergenic face cream containing Retinol-A (vit. A)
    Hypo allergenic eye cream.

I find that Vichy is very good for this, if a bit expensive. Obviously you don't need to use all of this if you haven't got acne. It's just an example.
    For some things I use cheaper products, but still make sure it's hypo allergenic and doesn't contain any alcohol.

Also if your skin breaks out from make-up have a look at make-up that doesn't make your skin break out.
    Oil free and preferably hypo allergenic.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I love Repèchage skincare products. I use the Tzone cleanser, toner, moisturizer, honey almond scrub and moisturizing clarifying mask, and twice a month I use the biolight miricle brightinig mask.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Look into Origins.

Actually go to a counter, tell them what your issues are and they will suggest products. They will also give you samples so that you can try them out before you buy.

I specifcally use:

Morning:
    Dr. Weil Mega Mushroom Face Wash/Treatment Lotion/Serum/Face Cream

I use their facial brush when putting on face wash.

Night:
    Dr.Weil Mega Mushroom Face Wash/Treatment Lotion/Serum

I then use Origins Night-A-Mins cream or Drink Up Intensive Face Mask.

I also use the facial brush at night.

My skin is smooth, soft and flake free ever since I started using this routine. I actually notice a difference when I don't use it, and notice that my makeup doesn't go on as smooth, and my skin breaks out a lot more without it.
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I've always had major skin issues. Nothing I've tried has worked for long. I started using baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and antibacterial soap mixed into a paste. For extra stubborn black heads or rough spots, I add in a litte bit of sea salt. It's natural and cheap! Also, I noticed that it lightens my dark spots!
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I don't have great skin but it is not horrible for being almost 43. I slather my face with coconut oil and wipe it off with steamy wash cloths. I moisturize with a low % of aha followed by coconut oil. Simple and it works for my sensitive skin. If i feel i need a bit of exfoliating I use baking soda mixed with coconut oil. 99% of skin products turn my face red and burn so this was the solution through trial and error.
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think I might be young still (I'll be 28 in a couple weeks) But I don't use anything really. I don't use soap on my face at all except perhaps a little bit sometimes to get any stubborn eye make up off. And I use a hypo allergenic lotion when my face feels very dry (a lot more in the winter time). It's working for me. I don't even wear face powder or anything, just eye make up and lip gloss, and my skin looks very nice usually.
  • 6size6
    6size6 Posts: 10
    Options
    Have any of you tried Periconne MD line?. I was interested in it after reading up on it.
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    Anyone out there know a remedy for blackheads on noses? They are so annoying, I don't know even know what to do. Anyone?
  • 6size6
    6size6 Posts: 10
    Options
    Have you tried an exfoliation followed by a pore strip?
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love the Oil of Olay line of skin care products. I am 44 and I have good skin for my age, I think most of it is genetic though! I stay out of the sun and I think that makes the biggest difference. My sister who tans regularly, is two years younger than me has terrible wrinkles.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I never had skin issues until a few months ago. It turns out I am allergic to the syacillic acid in the products I was using along with the SPF that they put in creams.

Now I use an antibacterial bar by cetaphil, apricot face scrub and rubbing alcohol as an astringent.. It's been over a month and I have been acne free.

I also have a bunch of serums that I use for wrinkles and stuff as well.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Look into Origins.

Actually go to a counter, tell them what your issues are and they will suggest products. They will also give you samples so that you can try them out before you buy.

I specifcally use:

Morning:
    Dr. Weil Mega Mushroom Face Wash/Treatment Lotion/Serum/Face Cream

I use their facial brush when putting on face wash.

Night:
    Dr.Weil Mega Mushroom Face Wash/Treatment Lotion/Serum

I then use Origins Night-A-Mins cream or Drink Up Intensive Face Mask.

I also use the facial brush at night.

My skin is smooth, soft and flake free ever since I started using this routine. I actually notice a difference when I don't use it, and notice that my makeup doesn't go on as smooth, and my skin breaks out a lot more without it.

Origins is great!!
  • Nurseblondy
    Options
    I worked at the clinique counter before Nursing school and I love all of their products. It is worth the money. I would go to the counter and get them to personalize your skin regimen if you are thinking of switching, there are so many great products to choose from. I also like the clarisonic mia it is AMAZING!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I exfoliate as needed with 1/2 baking soda 1/2 ground nutmeg, enough water/milk/yogurt to make a thick paste, and I use it on my face and body. After my shower, I follow with a rinse of chamomile and rosemary tea with a tablespoon of lemon juice per cup on my face. (I only use enough to soak a couple of cotton balls) then I moisturize with a dab of grape seed oil with a couple drops of myrrh essential oil mixed into the bottle. A little goes a long way.

On days that I feel dry or have worn makeup, I use the oil cleansing method: http://www.crunchybetty.com/nitty-gritty-on-the-oil-cleansing-method

I prefer natural ingredients, instead of synthetic, and you can buy most of your ingredients in the grocery store or online, through Eco and animal conscious suppliers. My skin has always been sensitive and prone to dryness, and since switching from brand name or drug store product, it's never been better. :)
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Wash face with shower gel in the morning in the shower lol, moisturise with simple moisturiser. Slap on make up. Take make up off at night with a baby wipe. Done lol
  • btoblake
    btoblake Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have to fight pretty hard to have good skin, this routine is the result of a lot of trial and error. The important parts are mostly what I learned to keep away from my skin whenever possible (dirty hands, dirty towels, perfumes, dyes) and being willing to adjust to skin's need. During the winter, my mix is more towards moisture, during the summer I use more of the healthy skin to prevent acne, and wash more often.

Wash my hands (method liquid soap)
    Wash my face (glycerin soap with no perfume or colorants. Preferably brambleberry honey base)
    Dry (preferably with a towel used specifically for the face. )
    Moisturize (Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture SPF 15 mixed with Neutrogena Healthy Skin)
    If I'm going to a meeting that day, I add covergirl liquid foundation to the moisturizer mix, it looks like I'm not wearing makeup, but evens out skin tone, and use burts bees lip shimmer.

Please, if you avoid products that are tested, stick to classic formulas that have been used on skin for a long time. Many of the makeup companies are on the cutting edge of designing weird new molecules and chemicals, and are trying out using medicinal herbs in weird new ways.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Liz Earle :smile:
  • goldair23
    goldair23 Posts: 160
    Options
    I've never really had bad skin to be honest - lucky me :) So I tend to just take my makeup off with Bioderma Crealine H20 Cleanser and then wash my skin with cetaphil. I do that morning and night, morning I use the Bioderma to take away whatever gross went on my face during the night.

Moisturiser wise, I use Origins Vitazing during the day and a bit of Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask at night.
    I use a La Prairie eye cream which is okay, nothing to shout about though so on the lookout for a good one of those at the moment.

And to exfoliate, I use an estee lauder one. I can't remember the name but it's in blue packaging. It's quite abrasive though. I also like using just brown sugar (soft, not raw) with water on my face. And then raw brown sugar with olive oil to exfoliate my body!

And other than that, I get a facial once a month at a spa - so I guess that's a nice deep cleanse.

xx
  • goldair23
    goldair23 Posts: 160
    Options
    P.S try Cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser, they are so mild so perfect for really senstive skin :) xx
  • thatfitgaal
    Options
    I swear by Liz Earle!
    It's not the cheapest but it's good value. The ingredients are 100% natural and it's absolutely brilliant for my skin :)