Caloric intake for preggers

Options
Hay peeps :) im 11 weeks pregnant and before i was pregnant i was on a 1000 cals aday limit ( im 209 pounds) was 250 - but i have raised it to 1400. is this safe and is it ok .

Replies

• AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I personally think you need more than 1400 cals. I'd consult your doctor.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is consult your doctor.

You also need more calories when you are pregnant. You should be eating at least maintance caloires and adding in more calories the further you get along.

Don't go overboard, eat healthy but eat enough caloires (more than 1400). You need to stop thinking about weight loss now and think about the nutrients that your child needs.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, and set your calories at "maintenance" for now. You need to be sure you're getting adequate nutrition for that baby.
  • Pheeia666
    Options
    I watched on a T.V show called embarrassing bodies and it said you don't need to change your eating until last couple of weeks and then you only need to increase to 200 calories
    Which is just 2 bananas
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I watched on a T.V show called embarrassing bodies and it said you don't need to change your eating until last couple of weeks and then you only need to increase to 200 calories
    Which is just 2 bananas

This is not correct.

Late pregnancy requires an increased intake of 300-500 calories per day for the last 3 months. 2nd trimester requires an increased intake of closer to 200-300 calories per day. Both of these are ABOVE pre-baby TDEE (or maintenance).

OP PLEASE do not limit your calorie intake too much right now. Your baby needs enough nutrients and calories to grow and develop properly. The number on the scale should be going up. You need to come to terms with this early, as it's going to go up faster later. Not gaining weight should not be a goal right now unless your doctor advises it. Most women gain between 25 and 35 lbs during a healthy pregnancy.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    Which is just 2 bananas

First trimester you should be eating at maintance... than an extra 250 the second trimester and an extra 300-500 the third I believe.

1000 or even 1400 calories is not enough to sustain a healthy, growing baby.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Please eat more! You and your baby both need it. Whatever you don't take in, all the reserves go to the baby, leaving you weaker than before.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Definitely consult your doctor. Now is not a time to be low calorie AT ALL! You will have time for that after the baby comes.
  • 2204givme
    Options
    Definitely consult your doctor. Now is not a time to be low calorie AT ALL! You will have time for that after the baby comes.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    [/quote]

Yes even though you're 209 lbs.

It's almost impossible to get enough fats, protein, iron, folic acid, and calcium on a daily basis at 1400 calories.

Set your calories at maintenance. Eat.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Pregosaurus gave you solid advice.

The health and development of your baby should be the priority. Talk to your doctor about your dietary needs.

Congrats on the pregnancy :)
  • now_or_never13
    Options

Yes, even though you are 209lbs eat more. Eat at maintance... and even higher than that as you progress throughout your pregnancy. Do not limit your calories, do not try to lose weight, be ok with the fact that you will gain weight.

You are supposed to eat more, and gain weight while pregnant. You do not need to go overboard but you should not restrict yourself.

Your main priority right now should be your baby and it's health... not your weight loss goals. Limiting your calories so much will only result in issues with your baby as you cannot get enough nutrients on such low calories to ensure a healthy baby. Even wtihout being pregnant 1400 calories would be too low.
  • A_nori
    A_nori Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was about 200 pounds at around 20 weeks when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My dietitian wanted me eating no fewer than 2000 calories a day and gaining at least .5 lb a week. I was never able to gain that quickly because I was eating so much better but I was consistantly between 2000 - 2500 calories a day and gave birth to a healthy 7 lb 10 oz baby.
  • sezhep
    sezhep Posts: 57
    Options
    I agree with everyone that now is not the time to even be thinking about calories!

And as for your "even though I'm 209lbs".. My sister was heavier than that when she was pregnant, and actually gained less weight than a normal mother during pregnancy overall. After she gave birth, she was only carrying an extra 4lbs. And then she joined slimming world and lost another 2 stone pretty quickly once she was recovered and knew the baby was healthy (and not breastfeeding anymore), with baby weight and her daughter being her motivators!

There is time for weight loss afterwards. Hey, enjoy not having to calorie count for 9 months.. it's a perfect excuse! (Not eating for 2 though haha :P)
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    As a Doula, I can tell you that you should still be thinking about calories - not too little, not too much.

First trimester - eat at your maintenance amount.
    Second - maintenance +200
    Third - maintenance +300

It's so important to eat enough and to also not "let yourself go" and eat buckets of icecream. Listen to your body and what it wants. Craving ice cream? Have some frozen yoghurt. Burger? Have a lean steak. Fries? Have some sautéed new potatoes.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    what she said^
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i was 230 when i got pregnant this time - i set myself to maintain for the first trimester (even though i ended up losing 10 lbs *grumbles @ morning sickness*) - and changed my goals to gain 0.5 lb/week sometime during the 2nd trimester. ive gained about 21 lbs so far and im 7 months along. granted ive been slacking on sticking to my goals, and going over often. you need to make sure you eat enough to grow the baby and keep you healthy.
    Edited to add: ive been eating between 2200-2700 cals a day on average when sticking to my goals.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I was about 200 pounds at around 20 weeks when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My dietitian wanted me eating no fewer than 2000 calories a day and gaining at least .5 lb a week. I was never able to gain that quickly because I was eating so much better but I was consistantly between 2000 - 2500 calories a day and gave birth to a healthy 7 lb 10 oz baby.

^^this^^ 8 years ago when I was pregnant with my youngest, I was at high risk of developing gestational diabetes, so I underwent GD counseling around 4 months. My doctor had me on a 2200-2400 calorie diet.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Please talk with your doctor to come up with an eating plan and do NOT undereat! Undereating could lead to birth defects, stillbirth, or miscarriage.

"Underweight women are also more likely to experience preterm birth, have a still birth or miscarriage, and experience pregnancy complications such as preeclampsia. Make sure your iron is up too, because you have a higher risk of anaemia if you become pregnant when you’re iron deficient.

It’s not just pregnant Mums who feel the effects of malnutrition. The unborn baby is also affected and may be born at a low birth weight or with mental retardation. There are other disorders that can occur too, like respiratory, intestinal or neurological problems. Low birth weight is associated with greater illness throughout the rest of the baby’s life. Babies born to malnourished women are more likely to die in the first month of life."

http://www.parenthub.com.au/pregnancy/pregnancy-and-food/pregnancy-diet-under-eating/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/357646-what-happens-when-you-dont-eat-while-pregnant/
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you cut out sugar and grains completely, the nutrient density of your food will greatly increase without having to eat maintenance. There are negative health effects to being overweight and pregnant as well