Polar FT4 or FT7

Options
Just wanting some personal experience with either of these models. I can't decide between the two, if you own one do you love it? Why or why not?

Alternatively does anyone have any recommendations for mother brands?

Thanks!

Replies

• Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't own either but I too am looking at both so bumping - fingers crossed for some responses! :)
  • starsandsass
    Options
    :-) I think I'm leaning towards the FT7 but I'm not yet convinced it offers a whole more for the higher price point...
  • Yaxomoxay
    Yaxomoxay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I got the FT4. It does more than enough for me.
    Got it from bodytronics, it's discounted there (33% or so), free shipping.
    In addition if you use the coupon "POPO" until it lasts you get an extra discount!!

I record my training info on Polar's personal trainer website.
  • starsandsass
    Options
    Thanks! I'm 58kg, 5,5 and wanna get to a more toned weight. I think one of these will help me stay accountable and more motivated to push myself :-)
  • starsandsass
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7, black and gold one.

I love it!

I bought it 2 years ago and its still going strong.

What I love about it;

It has user changeable batteries which is quite rare with Polar, most have to be sent back to do this. Ive only just had to change the batteries in the heart monitor and watch and it cost me £4!

The heart strap is very comfortable, adjustable and easy to clean (the heart reciever pops off for a better clean to the strap).

I dont feel the strap under my sports bra when its on and im working out.

Interface and options are so easy to use.

Once set up, litterally 1 button to start / stop work out.

Keeps an internal record of all of your workouts giving daily/weekly totals.

Clear visual display of 'fat burn' and 'fitness' HR zones.

HR alarm if your HR drops too low or goes to high.

Can wear it swimming (just dont push the buttons while under water)

Hope this helps but happy to answer any other questions
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

I love it!

What I love about it;

It has user changeable batteries which is quite rare with Polar, most have to be sent back to do this. Ive only just had to change the batteries in the heart monitor and watch and it cost me £4!

The heart strap is very comfortable, adjustable and easy to clean (the heart reciever pops off for a better clean to the strap).

I have the ft4 and all this is true for me also. Save the cash and get the 4
  • starsandsass
    Options

I love it!

What I love about it;

I have the ft4 and all this is true for me also. Save the cash and get the 4

Haha I read the first comment and though "SOLD!" and then proceeded to read the second and now I'm undecided again haha! I'm a marketing student so I should know better then "oh, the expensive model MUST be better" and yet, for this, I can't quite get past there.

Thanks for your response ladies!!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 but think the would have worked for me..I don't really use the extra features that the FT7has.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4, love it! Easy to use and set up. Easy to change settings on watch as the weight drops. It communicates with whatever machine I'm on to display my HR. I'm really excited to use it when the weather gets a bit nicer to use on my bike. The chest strap is also very comfortable and easy to care for.
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the FT4 off amazon for $5! Couldn't beat te price.....never used one, but the deciding factor for me was the price!
  • starsandsass
    Options
    I have the FT7 but think the would have worked for me..I don't really use the extra features that the FT7has.

What are these extra features? I'm not really after much more than calories expenditure and perhaps the workout log.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 women's model, I've had it 2 years, changed the watch battery once myself. No issues, tracks everything I need to know. A good buy in my opinion.
  • starsandsass
    Options
    I just ordered the FT4 off amazon for $5! Couldn't beat te price.....never used one, but the deciding factor for me was the price!

WOW! Good find!!
    I have the FT4, love it! Easy to use and set up. Easy to change settings on watch as the weight drops. It communicates with whatever machine I'm on to display my HR. I'm really excited to use it when the weather gets a bit nicer to use on my bike. The chest strap is also very comfortable and easy to care for.

Ok, I think I'm sold on the FT4! Now just to decide on the colour haha Thanks everyone!
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    i have the FT4 and love it, like previous responders have said, it is brilliant and easy to use, the belt and transmitter are really simple to put on and actually comfy- they don't rub and i forget i am wearing it!

also as has been said before, settings really simple to change and all that stuff.
    the 4 is my recommendation.:smile:
  • minsch
    minsch Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Really? I have been looking on Amazon for several days now and have never seen it cheap like that.....where did you find it?
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

$5--as in five dollars?? Is this correct? Can you post the link?
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and my wife has an FT4. Both seem to work great and the feature differences really don't amount to much. What we both care about, and what I imagine most of the folks on this site care about, is how many calories we burned. Both do that just fine. The only thing I will say is that they have different chest strap designs, and I personally think the design of the FT7 is superior. It seems like it will be easier to keep clean and is a bit more sturdy. That said, we've only had them 4-5 months so it's too early to tell if there are any long term issues with either strap design.
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ive just refreshed my memory on the differences between the 2.

Theres not a lot between them!!

I cant remember what swayed me at the time, may have been on offer (price wise).

If I was to buy again today, even though I love my FT7, due to the very little differences between the 2, I would go for the FT4 if that is cheaper.
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies - and to OP for putting this up originally! Silly question, but can the heart rate alarm be turned off? I'm still pretty unfit and think I'd be really embarrassed if an alarm blared at me everytime my HR went over the "limit" whilst on the treadmill or something!!