Wanting to be a Mom but need to lose weight

Options
Hello MFP. I'm going to be 32 this year and I want a baby. I have been a bit laskluster about losing weight these last few months. But I have a goal in mind. We am ready to start a family. I want to be fit, happy and healthy before we do. So I am going to go hard, be determined and do this right so that I will be a healthy active Mom.

Is anyone else looking to start a family but wants to lose weight first? I would love some friends with the same goal in mind. I'm a

I am also looking to get back into school so I can start working with special needs children again. Here in Texas the certification is different than where I used to live. So I have just been going along working in a different field but my heartts not in it.

So if you think we have anything in common please feel free to add me.

Have a great weekend :-)

Replies

• puddle17
    puddle17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I am also wanting to lose weight so I can be more healthy when I become pregnant. Im finding it really tough as I have lost 3 stone in the last year and a half so am feeling pretty good- its the final 2 stone that I want to lose that I am unmotivated about- I have all the usual excuses not enough time/stress etc but am hating that I cant seem focus on my goal to achieve having a child. I am 37 and live in the Uk, your post popped out at me as I am a special needs teacher. Maybe we can give each other a good kick in the pants? Danielle :)
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It is true - your health will recover faster as well. You put yourself under more stress when you are overweight and pregnant and some of your ligaments and tendons never quite get back to their original firmness if you put additional strain on them during pregnancy. The hormones make everything so loose.
  • fatblaster2012
    Options
    It is true - your health will recover faster as well. You put yourself under more stress when you are overweight and pregnant and some of your ligaments and tendons never quite get back to their original firmness if you put additional strain on them during pregnancy. The hormones make everything so loose.

It's amazing all the changes you go through. I"m going to get some books so I can read through them and get some ideas of what will be happening to me lol.
  • ldy_mesha
    Options
    I am also wanting to start a family and I would like to be able to play with my kids and I have also been told it will be easier for me to get pregnant if I loose weight so it is giving me an additional piece of motivation.
  • mommalove1956
    mommalove1956 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight to start a family as well. I have been pregnant 4 times and had very early losses. The doctors keep telling me to lose the weight. So for 2013, I am getting off my butt and moving more. Add me as a friend! we can all share this journey together.
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Same here. Wanting to get my body in a much healthier place and drop the weight before having babies in the next four or five years. Definitely want to have a healthy pregnancy and not feel horrible my whole pregnancy when I don't feel at my best now. One of my main goals.
  • wiyakasapa
    Options
    well ladies...
    i am a mommy. i have an 18 month old. i was not in the best shape ever when i got pregnant and was not even trying in fact, but they come when they come. i believe that fat is VITAL when it comes to reproducing. that is the reason god made women with CURVES. it is truely the reason you store fat around your waist, and hips. it makes you fertile. i had lost 10lbs before i became pregnant and i was working out all the time and gaining weight and could not figure out what was going on. LOL! surpriiiiiiise. i also cant stress enough about afterwards. don't fall into the hoopla of the hollywood moms who are stick thin again after birth. thats insane and unhealthy. i put my weight worries on the back burner and focused on my baby. i was big for a while but that was great for my baby in the end, due to the fact that my body is turning all that fat into milk. think about it. thats what pregnancy is about, dating back to the stoneage. you need fat. i've met many mothers who say that they don't produce milk beyond 6 or 7 months but they will be so skinny standing there telling me this. as of today i am still breastfeeding and i have started brazil butt lift and i feel AMAZING!!!! this also helps soooo much to track calories. i just ate something bad (half anyway) and i logged it and boy oh boy did i feel guilty BUT motivated. after i learned how HARD it was to burn 200 calories i am not going to backtrack. i want my million dollar body and i want to be healthy for my son because he is approaching pure chaos stage and i gotta keep up. these kids do not stop running! lol. i love it. every minute. it is worth it. i hope you ladies find all the time you need for every goal and if you can't seem to, just think about forgetting to watch your favorite show and working out at that time instead. it works and it helps. i wish you all the best of luck! <3
  • alevesque1990
    alevesque1990 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    same here i got married in september and want to start a family with past attempts it hasn't happened and i know it is due to being overweight!.. at the same time i want to feel good and have a healthy pregnancy! i dont want to not look pregnant and just super overweight when the special day does happen!! good luck ladies!!! keep up all your good work!! feel free to add!! we can support each other!
  • rabt6f
    rabt6f Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm not in your shoes, but wanted to send you a little advice. I currently have a 2 year old. I have always known that kids learn from their parents, but I never realized how much they learn from their parents till I had a child of my own. My daughter has been watching me so closely for 6 months that she actually basis what she eats on what I eat and talk to her about. Once my toddler turned 1, I started eating healthier because of her, I wanted her to eat good food, not bad food. We started talking about veggies being good and candy being bad, ect. Now at 2, here are a few examples of what she has learned:

- She saw her dad eating a chocolate bar and told him, "eww dad, that yucky."
    - She choose cheese covered broccoli over macaroni and cheese
    - Her grandma handed her a cookie and she tossed it on the floor saying "bad."
    - I made homeade healthy pizza for me and a frozen pizza for her dad. My daughter choose the spinach and artichoke pizza to eat with me.
    - her dad brough home fried chicken and she wouldn't touch it. I keep shredded chicken frozen in small bags in the freezer just so she and I have a healthy option to eat if we need. She wanted the healthy shredded chicken instead.

Dont get me wrong, she doesn't always make the best choices, but she does well. If she has a cookie, she normally just eats 1 cookie, not the whole bag. We can walk past a bakery and she doesn't beg for candy or cookies, she just looks at them and goes on.

I guess my point is to make health choices now and keep making them. You future child will learn everything from you and do everything you do.