I lost 9lbs in 2 days since being vegetarian!

Options
A couple days ago I watched the documentary "VEGUCATED' on netflix. I felt really bad for the animals so i tried to be vegetarian for a day just to see if I could do it. Well today is the morning of day 3. I am down 9lbs!! I checked on 2 different scales because Icouldnt believe it. I didn't eat entirely veggies these past 2 days either. Examples, I had Indian food, grilled cheese sandwich, even a scone....Idid drink a giant beet,celery, carrot, parsley, lemon juice though. I had a good amount of veggies, but my point is, I wasn't ONLY eating veggies and I still lost so much weight!

This has given me motivation to continue to see how much longer I can do this :)

Replies

• gororules
    Options
    Congrats! The ONLY reason I am a vegetarian is because of animal welfare, so I don't view it as a "diet plan".

I have been a strict vegetarian for 22 years,and a recently a vegan for three years and was astounded when I saw the daily calories, cholesterol, sodium, and sugar levels of my carnivorous friends who tried this site out for a day or two. Most of the bad stuff comes from the meat they eat.

You sound like an educated person and since you are tracking your daily intakes you stand a great chance of remaining on a good path, although I do know many people who went back due to temptation and peer pressure. Be sure to eat soy products and beans for your protein.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You lost water weight, not 9 lbs of fat so I wouldn't get too excited just yet.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Even if it is just water weight, I feel a lot less bloated!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My diet is heavy on veggies and light on meat. Vegetarian in and of itself, though, won't do it. I worked with a lot of people in India and whenever I visited India I stuck to vegetarian food because Indian food really has a lot of good, hearty, stick-to-the-ribs vegetarian dishes. Some of the vegetarians were downright chubby, though. They love their "sweets"- many are dairy-based and my favorite, gulab jamon, is a dough ball that I think is fried and then soaked in honey. You still need to watch what you're eating, even without meat!
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    Congrats! I was a vegetarian for about 5 years. I gained 35 lbs, on top of an already-fat body. A lot of bread, rice and pasta. I loved and ate the heck out of my fruits and veggies, but I was taking in way too many carbs and sugar. It caught up to me, big time.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    This is probably true but dont give up just yet.

Cutting meat out of your diet SUCCESSFULLY for a long term requires some self educating. Just cutting out meat without learning to eat the right foods in the right combinations leaves you starved for protein and feeling starved period. Thats what leads to eating too many carbs - bread, potaotes, rices - to feel full. Do some study on converting to vegetarianism as you try it out. You're more likely to stick with it AND do it in a healthy way if you dont go cold turkey ( lame pun not intended).
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

THIS but

I second the "don't give up" advice. I have been lacto-ovo veggie since 1991 and occasionally (a few times a year) wild caught fish for the last 10 years. Make sure you watch your macros, try the veggie meats (Veggie Patch, Morning Star Farms, Boca), and don't get carried away with dairy and processed sugars. Make beans, lentils and different grains (amaranth, quinoa, couscous) your friends. Combined with sticking with a MFP plan you can be your healthiest ever as a veggie. I have never been tempted to return to greasy bacon or filet mignon once in all these years. My blood work is always great. It does make eating out harder in some parts of the country, especially rural areas. And peer pressure is real.