What keeps you motivated?

Options

Replies

• Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    When I feel overweight or unmotivated I feel uncomfortable. Soon clothes become too tight and especially when you have to go somewhere special and meet people you haven’t seen in AGES… that is uncomfortable.

The weird thing is, sometimes we allow ourselves to put up with this type of uncomfortable, because sometimes the sofa is just TOO COMFY. When we are at home, lying up watching TV in our jammies, it is hard NOT to feel comfortable, and our weight doesn’t really have to bother us when we are sitting in front of the telly. The thought of getting up, going for a walk or going to the gym – now that can be a tad uncomfortable.
    So the bottom line is you are going to have to be UNCOMFORTABLE one way or the other there is no escaping discomfort.

But you do have a choice as to what type of discomfort you want to experience. You can choose discomfort that leads to…
    a.) A life of ill health and disease and low self esteem with your overweight body image…. OR
    b.) A life that is you living your dream in a slim healthy body and leading an active lifestyle

There is no way to avoid discomfort, so if you have to feel it, then we should all really choose the discomfort that helps us to live a dream.
    When we think about going on a lifestyle change, and start an exercise routine, that can feel like a lot of discomfort (You should hear some of the excuses that I tell myself of why I won't go to the gym but at the end of the day I am fooling myself, when the scales don't move at weighin I only have myself to blame), but you will see it all the time, that once someone settles into their new diet or exercise routine that they feel great, they don’t even consider it to be that much of a discomfort. I know you are saying that you can't get back to doing things after your holidays but you have to look back to what worked for you before? Its a learning curve with many bumps along the way.

Believe me getting up, and getting out of your comfort zone to go after a goal, whether that is weight loss, exercising or a new physical challenge, takes effort, willpower, courage and GUTS. You have to get out of comfort zone, push yourself, raise the bar, and go the extra mile. You have to do the things that other people don’t or won’t do.

If you want to TOTALLY TRANSFORM your body, if you dream of being slim, toned, active, fit, healthy, and looking beautiful… I hate to break it to you but that IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN until you get out of your comfort zone, off the couch and make things happen. Take baby steps, 10 mins of exercise a day is better than nothing but you have to think what you would like long term. Are you motivated enough to make the best decision in your life to be happy, free of some healthy problems? Well then I am going to say it how it is, repeat after me, I can do this, I am stronger than this challenge and every day this challenge will make me stronger and I want it so bad that I will do anything in my power to change my attitude and do it, NO MORE EXCUSES!! Its not easy, you will have some tears, tantrums but when you get to your goal you will be glad that you put in as much effort as you did and when you look in the mirror your progress will show you how far you have come.

Anything worth having or doing takes EFFORT and a hell of allot of WORK.

DIETING IS TOUGH.
    BEING OVER WEIGHT IS TOUGH.
    CHOOSE YOUR TOUGH!!

Um. Bloody love you.

Hahahaha thanks x
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    When I feel overweight or unmotivated I feel uncomfortable. Soon clothes become too tight and especially when you have to go somewhere special and meet people you haven’t seen in AGES… that is uncomfortable.

The weird thing is, sometimes we allow ourselves to put up with this type of uncomfortable, because sometimes the sofa is just TOO COMFY. When we are at home, lying up watching TV in our jammies, it is hard NOT to feel comfortable, and our weight doesn’t really have to bother us when we are sitting in front of the telly. The thought of getting up, going for a walk or going to the gym – now that can be a tad uncomfortable.
    So the bottom line is you are going to have to be UNCOMFORTABLE one way or the other there is no escaping discomfort.

But you do have a choice as to what type of discomfort you want to experience. You can choose discomfort that leads to…
    a.) A life of ill health and disease and low self esteem with your overweight body image…. OR
    b.) A life that is you living your dream in a slim healthy body and leading an active lifestyle

There is no way to avoid discomfort, so if you have to feel it, then we should all really choose the discomfort that helps us to live a dream.
    When we think about going on a lifestyle change, and start an exercise routine, that can feel like a lot of discomfort (You should hear some of the excuses that I tell myself of why I won't go to the gym but at the end of the day I am fooling myself, when the scales don't move at weighin I only have myself to blame), but you will see it all the time, that once someone settles into their new diet or exercise routine that they feel great, they don’t even consider it to be that much of a discomfort. I know you are saying that you can't get back to doing things after your holidays but you have to look back to what worked for you before? Its a learning curve with many bumps along the way.

Believe me getting up, and getting out of your comfort zone to go after a goal, whether that is weight loss, exercising or a new physical challenge, takes effort, willpower, courage and GUTS. You have to get out of comfort zone, push yourself, raise the bar, and go the extra mile. You have to do the things that other people don’t or won’t do.

If you want to TOTALLY TRANSFORM your body, if you dream of being slim, toned, active, fit, healthy, and looking beautiful… I hate to break it to you but that IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN until you get out of your comfort zone, off the couch and make things happen. Take baby steps, 10 mins of exercise a day is better than nothing but you have to think what you would like long term. Are you motivated enough to make the best decision in your life to be happy, free of some healthy problems? Well then I am going to say it how it is, repeat after me, I can do this, I am stronger than this challenge and every day this challenge will make me stronger and I want it so bad that I will do anything in my power to change my attitude and do it, NO MORE EXCUSES!! Its not easy, you will have some tears, tantrums but when you get to your goal you will be glad that you put in as much effort as you did and when you look in the mirror your progress will show you how far you have come.

Anything worth having or doing takes EFFORT and a hell of allot of WORK.

DIETING IS TOUGH.
    BEING OVER WEIGHT IS TOUGH.
    CHOOSE YOUR TOUGH!!

I love this and u are right on point, thank u

Your welcome, it took me a long time to get where I am but I wouldn't change back for the world
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    self discipline
    Change happens when self disipline is a priority. Without it, poor eating habits creep back in and the excuses not to exercise are a constant barrier to progress.
  • rmkeech1
    rmkeech1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Staying motivated is tough. I get motivation from my partner and a really good friend that supports me (and gives me crap when I slack off) and from reading posts here and on other sites that make me realize that I'm not the only one who sometimes just wants to give up. And from feeling better! It's wonderful to be able to do what I want t do when I want to do it and enjoy my life!
  • ParanSkies
    Options
    Whenever I go to visit relatives in China and Korea, they always comment about my weight :( It's a very typical thing for older Asian relatives to do so I don't feel too hurt about it, but it's annoying LOL. I'd love to see the shock on their faces when they see the new me when I go back again this July! The thought about being able to have so many more options for clothes when shopping also keeps me motivated :)
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not losing weight or people noticing that I've lost - it's the way I feel when I eat better and work out. I feel truly happy on the inside and like I can do anything. I feel like I've accomplished something and worth it. From there, the choices become easier and easier.

Good luck to you! I wish you the best in your journey
  • eggsmilkbread
    eggsmilkbread Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Seeing my boyfriend's face when we see eachother again in the summer is going to be great. :) I also have developed a terrible anxiety because I'm not as skinny as that one girl infront of me in class, and I constantly think people are going "Wow look at that cow!" Or something cleverer like "Hey, I didn't know whales lived in Arizona!" Ok, no one's actually said that before but my brain likes to think they are. I also want to be able to work out for hours without getting tired, and I want to do the harder poses in my yoga class too!! So many things to keep me going.
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I keep the receipt for my treadmill and running shoes handy. I hate wasting money. And after all the sweat on the treadmill I hate wasting a good workout so my eating stays on course.
  • Caesar_3rd
    Options
    what motivates me is seeing the progress i've made since i started. And when i see someone that's bigger that me. i never hate, it just makes me realize that i cant stop what I'm doing to get what i want..
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    What motivates me are several things: this website and tracking my calories/exercise, my workout pals, and lastly staying on track towards my goal. I too have lost 9 pounds so far. Although I haven't quite erased the weight from the holidays, I am well on track to doing so and going beyond. Accountability is a big deal. Hold yourself accountable and expect your support group to do so as well. It's just as much a psychological thing as physical. Gotta keep your focus.
  • TillyNix
    TillyNix Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Routine is my trick. I have work outs scheduled and I stick to them doesn't matter what . I have my meals planned and prepared ahead all in individual freezer containers (only good food; taste + body good and I eat plenty of it). I don't think about this whole thing much, I just go through my daily routine and every week, the scale number gets smaller. it is just part of life now.
  • SavageRabidBeast
    SavageRabidBeast Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think about how it felt to be tired all the time, inflexible, achy, weaker. Then I say screw that! I am not going back to that. I like knowing my belly has flattened some, I like knowing I am stronger, I can touch my toes, I don't groan every time I get up. All this helps keep me going. Remember this is for YOU! So go work hard, sweat it up, and kick some @ss!!!
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated is my 1. HB Challenge folks (MFP Group). Seeing their workouts and how they strive for excellence keeps me on task. 2. Honestly logging my food. For me it's a game to stay in between my high/low calorie goal for the day. 3. My husband is a big motivator. I lift weights with him 5 days a week and he keeps me striving past my preconceived limits. 4. The changes in my body. Who doesn't like that? Every time I see a new cut in my arms, back, shoulders, etc it pushes me to work harder and reminds me of why I eat healthy.
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My motivation is MFP friends. Seeing their food and exercise daily helps me to stay positive. Good luck and get yourself back on track.
    Viki
  • Herlinda913
    Herlinda913 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think your motivations are great!! Good luck! :)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions :drinker:

For me, it's the practical aspects:

Clean out the fridge & pantry
    Toss out the questionable stuff (you know the stuff)
    Shop for healthier options
    Cook your own food
    Batch cook
    Drink lots of water
    Get some exercise each day ...... add a few extra minutes each week

As long as I'm PREPARED, then I'm MOTIVATED !
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If I'm having a wobbly day or week, when I got shopping at Sainsbury's we have a next clothing store next door and I look at all their clothes in a smaller size and because I love their stuff it gets me focused again :-)
  • iowachapman
    iowachapman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Are you going to let this beat you? Well are you?? The hardest part is getting up and getting to the gym, or getting up to go for a walk. If needed just say ok I will go for a 10 minute walk, or I will get to the gym. Don't try to worry about everything all at once. If you are struggling to diet and exercise at the same time, drop one, and work on just one habit.

Preferably going to the gym, start that one, and just get in the habit of going, once you are having a easier time with going 3 to 5 times weekly if not more then you can start to add more tasks as you feel better about hitting the bite size goals.

One must feel accomplishments first or risk the chance of feeling defeated and wanting to give up.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    My kids. My husband......

Old fatter pictures of me. The fact that I can sleep at night now... The no heart palpitations.. The lesser body aches.

The fact that I know if I keep it up, I will be at my goal size one day.

The fact if I don't keep it up, I'll end up fatter than I was before and have an even harder time getting it off.

Nobody can truly take care of you, except for you. You need to rewire your mind :-)

You can do it!
  • kaylanlynnNW
    kaylanlynnNW Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My previous weight keeps me motivated. I weighed 255lbs. I was huge, I was unhappy, depressed, couldn't have a baby because of my weight, I had 2 miscarriages due to my weight, my ankle was developing arthritis to quickly because if the weight on it (bound to happen, I broke the same bone in the same spit 3 times) my husband loves hiking and being active and I felt like his fat wife that never did anything with him.
    I lost 100lbs, and instantly got pregnant I'm now 26 weeks! And my dr says my pregnancy is so healthy it's unbelievable. My ankle doesn't ever hurt anymore. The only time it did hurt was when I was working as a waitress for 10 hours a day in the winter, but that's expected. I still go for hikes with my husband even know its me waddling him walking lol. I even workout with my husband on his days off :-). I refuse to look at that girl in the mirror. I'm so happy now days, I feel so much better now than ever. I still workout while I'm pregnant because its just way to easy to gain weight while pregnant, I've gained 24 pounds in my pregnancy and after my son is born I plan to get back to 155 pounds in 4-6 months, then after that lose my final 20 pounds by his first birthday :-)