Busy people: How do you Schedule time??

Options

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I also have placed my treadmill in the middle of my living room. Easy access makes it hard to make excuses. I can place a board across my treadmill handles, place my computer on it and walk at a slow pace while surfing the net.

I've head of a standing desk before.... but never a walking desk. LOVE IT.

You're giving me ideas :laugh:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Russian Kettlebell swings. Get a heavy (ish) kettlebell and try to do the traditional swing 50-100 times a day. This should take less than 5 minutes but is an extremely effective strength building exercise.

If you can squeeze in 20 minutes 3-4 times a week do HIIT. Super fast, and super effective.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Last time i checked, i don't have any more time in the day than anyone else. i make time.
  • Iwillrunagain
    Options
    I found myself in the same situation two years ago. I was finishing my master's degree, working full-time, raising two kids and was due with my third in the middle of my practicum which also required me to be working 20 hours per week on top of my full time job. Running is my stress releif, the only way I have ever been able to fit my workouts in is to get up at 4:30 in the morning and be at the gym by 5am. The only was to get it all done is to give up something, for me, it was reading for enjoyment and watching TV.
  • deekay8507
    deekay8507 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids and work full time. I get up early at 5 and work out. Good luck
  • alegna1975
    alegna1975 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I work full time, I am clergy, and I have children. Between work, religious work, charity work, my kids, and my own hobbies I am quite busy. I find a calendar very helpful. Not only do I make sure things get done but I can also keep my sanity balancing it all. One thing I do is factor in transit time for everything. If I have an hour meeting somewhere, I allot an extra 30 min for travel (unless I am going further than I adjust it). I also allot time for hobbies and family time. After that I allot time for the gym. My regular work schedule is pretty static so I never have to worry about that. My religious & charity work schedules vary like crazy so as soon as I know something needs to be done, I schedule it where I can fit it. I am still on call so there will always be those days where my schedule will get messed up. But that is a hidden lesson in keeping a calendar, making sure that things are a bit flexible.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I should also add that I sold my car and bought a bicycle. My commute is about 10 minutes longer than it was when I was driving, so I'm able to spend an extra 20 minutes a day getting to and from work, but I get about 80 minutes of exercise for the 20 minute opportunity cost. That is a time-bargain!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It's all about planning. Scheduling time to schedule even. Sundays are a day for prepping for the week - I plan workouts (based around the amount of time I have that week) and corresponding meals, go shopping, cook anything I can for the week, cut/dice up any veggies or fruit I can (for quick use during the week). Sometimes weightloss can't be your priority, but that doesn't mean healthy living/eating can't be! Some weeks or days you need all the energy and food you can get (to get through those mounds of ambitious work you have to get through) and that's when healthy, nutrient packed food is the MOST important. Set aside a couple hours on one day a week to make most of your food choices so you can autopilot with healthy choices throughout the week when needed.

Working out is great and feels the most productive, but, IMO, especially if you are pressed for time, food should be your biggest concentration.
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    Just do high intensity short workouts...Get a heart rate monitor. Get your heart rate up as high as you can a few times in a 20 minute span. They say those type of workouts are better then a workout where your heart rate is the same over a long period of time..Do that 3-5 times a week..
  • TillyNix
    TillyNix Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There is just so much anyone can do in a week, it is also important to find time to rest and relax to refill our energy and avoid burning out.

I would suggest that until you have more time to actually schedule workouts to do what you can in terms of physical activities; use the stairs,
    get off the bus one stop before or park further to walk more,
    go for walks on your breaks
    use a pedometer and try to walk 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day.

In addition to the exercise, you will get some oxygen in your blood which should help with fatigue.

Good luck, I know it is not easy.
  • gbellsatx
    gbellsatx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Take a step back look and write down your schedule and look at all the little things you have going. As someone already mentioned look at your time wasters TV, Internet, Social media in general) is there a time you could turn your notifications off? Figure out whats important for you. Scheduling work out time also depends out what your goal is for working out. Ther are tons of circuit, interval, tabata, full body, and other exercises you can look at incorporating. Try a timer once or twice when you are online and you will see how much of a time waster jumping on a PC can cause. You going to have to get creative on the exercises lots of great ideas already mentioned.
  • SoUnaware
    SoUnaware Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any of the replies, so forgive me if people said these already.
    Consider buying yourself, like, a DVD workout or a bike or whatever (DVDs are much cheaper, lol) so that you do not have to head to the gym.
    Do not be afraid to work out late. Sometimes I have to work out at 830, 9pm, but I do it.
    If you can wake up early, do it. But don't sacrifice on sleep. Still sleep 7-8 hours a night.
    Plan your meals ahead of time/ make them ahead of time. I like to pack my meals the night before at the latest. If I have time off, I cook a big dish and then I have leftovers throughout the week/ usually pack them up in single serving sizes so I can just grab and go.
    I don't know if you go from job to job or if you have down time in between. Be vigilant with your down time. Plan just how long you're going to sit on the couch and veg/relax before you get up and do something else. (20 to 30 minutes. Set an alarm if you have to. Maybe take a short nap. Or a shower.)
    Going from job to job, make sure you've packed a meal for that car ride. It's a way to sneak in a healthy meal/snack without having to go out and stuff.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how flexible your schedules are, but I find it helps to go directly from one thing (work) to another thing (store, gym, etc) without going home in between. If you spend 15 minutes less driving every day it adds up to almost 2 hours a week.

I also save time on food prep by consolidating it to a few blocks per week. I don't cook every day. I usually cook two days per week and eat leftovers throughout the week. I work four days a week and pack my lunches on Monday night. Rather than packing lunch every night before I go to bed, I prep four lunches and four snacks on Monday night and have the containers ready to grab put into my lunch box each morning.

Don't have time to make it to the gym? If you get a 10 minute break at work, try walking up and down the stairs for 10 minutes (bring appropriate shoes if necessary). If you have a spot in the office, take a minute out of each hour to do as many pushups as you can or a 60 second plank.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Everyone is busy, but everyone can find time to squeeze in a workout, even if it's a short one. A little bit is better than nothing!

I have to be at work some days at 7am and don't get off until 7:30pm. On those days I workout from 5:45-6:30am because I know myself and I know I'll be exhausted at night after work. Working out that early seems brutal to me but it works!

What helps me is planning all my workouts out a week in advance. I'll look at my work schedule and then coordinate which classes I'll be able to attend or what I will do each day.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I go to school full time - accounting, so A LOT of homework. Work 20 hours a week at an extremely busy office job. No homework time. I also have commitments to a choir, honor society, aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the way I get myself to run is my running club! It's socializing and exercising at the same time. I can tell you that everyone is crazy busy but we find time!!
  • mrsricta
    Options
    This might sound ridiculous but I get three breaks at work, 2 fifteen minutes and 1 thirty minutes. I take 10 minutes out of each break and workout. I am lucky that my work has a gym so I hit the elliptical, treadmill or lift some weights. Without that option, I would head outside for a walk or climb the stairs for 10 minutes. Totals 30 minutes a day, maybe not the most ideal workout but it's at least SOMETHING!
  • mrsricta
    Options
    Just do high intensity short workouts...Get a heart rate monitor. Get your heart rate up as high as you can a few times in a 20 minute span. They say those type of workouts are better then a workout where your heart rate is the same over a long period of time..Do that 3-5 times a week..

This is also an excellent idea, if you have just 20 minutes a day to do a HIIT workout you can get a great workout in!
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    great advice - once you get home it is much much harder to leave.
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    I travel for work 3 weeks out of the month and work our everyday I'm on the road... Ive found people find time for what they want to do... Try some HIIT training which is quick and you can do it when you wake up!
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Excellent idea about the timer, people think they will just jump in the PC for a quick minute to check email and dont realize they ended up surfing around or on FB for 30minutes or an even an hour.