Things they never tell you about weight loss

Options

Replies

• metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Fruit tastes thick and rich. I used to find raw blueberries atrocious. Now they are rich in flavor and a mixture of sweet and tangy.

Cereal with Truvia mixed in tastes like ice cream - I am being 100% serious!

I notice that big deserts with a lot of sugar leave me feeling lethargic, a little shaky, minor headache and just generally "shot" and tired.

I get cold a lot.

I have to keep my pants up with safety pins or they will hang off my butt all day!

I have all of these weird sinewy muscles in areas that used to be covered in fat, like my calves and ankles.

I now have the option of choosing between clothing that looks tart / suggestive and classy. I used to just have the option of baggy!
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am not currently wearing my wedding ring or my grandmother's ring....the only two I ever wear and I never took them off....EVER. Until they started falling off and almost got lost....actually thought the wedding ring WAS lost twice, first time for about two weeks, second time just a few hours....and it's a family heirloom ring from my husband's great grandmother so I was dreading my MIL finding out. But it turned up both times and after that I put it in my jewelry box, followed a month or so later by my grandmother's ring when it fell off. I figure when I'm done losing weight, I'll take them into be resized (and hopefully use the gold they take out to shore up the band on the wedding ring which is kind of thin in spots being so old and all. Other than that, I can't say I really FEEL all that different...but then I never actually felt bad to begin with, except for my bad knee but the weight loss isn't helping with that either like my doctor thought but I knew that to begin with....had to prove it to him and unfortunately for me in this case, I was right. The only thing I notice is that with all the water I drink now, I have to go to the bathroom ALL THE TIME, even in the middle of the night -- which is kind of annoying!! But 33 pounds to go out of 114 altogether so it's worth it.
  • CandiceScott69
    CandiceScott69 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My boobies are gone :sad:
    I feel ya. :/

Cold is horrible too. I speak up about it, and other people think I'm weird.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Never occurred to me that it could be related to weight loss. I had a physical at the beginning of the month and when the nurse went to measure me, I mentioned that we had discovered that I was back to my normal height if I just stand on my good leg since the other one won't fully extend. I've been 5'2" since I was 13 and I didn't gain weight until my mid-20s, early 30s. (I'm about to turn 45 next week). At my previous appt., they had measured me as 5'1.5" so I figured I was shrinking with age, but when I told the nurse about my leg, she told me to just stand on my good leg then....and measured me at 5'2.75". I was like, "HUH? You're telling me I've GROWN 3/4" at 44 years of age after maintaining the same height for 30 years!! I don't think so...but I let it slide because their scale reads about 7 lbs. higher than mine so the extra height makes up for the extra weight reading and makes the BMI come out about right! ha ha But now you're saying weight loss makes you taller....now wouldn't that be a hoot! :o) LOL!
    Did anyone else get taller? Is that even possible? I am 56 years old, and have been 5'4" since about age 16. Last week, new doctor measured me at 5'5". I told her I was 5'4", so she re-measured. Still 5'5"! I have lost 172 pounds. Maybe it was causing my back to curve??

Yes! That kind of excess weight causes compression of the spine (did you have a lot of back pain?). I got shorter as my weight climbed (by about an inch--I too went from 5'5" to 5'4"). Now that I have lost 50 pounds and have been working out, I am back to my high school height. Weird but true! :smile:
  • xxtaliaxx
    xxtaliaxx Posts: 123
    Options
    - I'm cold all the time too. I thought this was just me.
    - My ring is getting looser on my finger.
    - I dropped a shoe size (WTF)
    - Lost a cup size (T_T)
    - My butt got smaller too. Not sure if I like this or not...
  • jennyjee18
    Options
    bump to read later
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I’m cold. ALL the time.
    This! And my ring size went down almost 3 sizes and shoe size, went from a 10 to a 9.
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    People flirt with me more now. They used to flirt before, then they didn't and I just thought it was because I was getting older. I guess it's just because they think I look hot now... I'm ok with this.

Also, I move differently now. I had not noticed that I was developing the "fat waddle", you know where you move side to side in addition to moving forward when walking. I no longer waddle, I stride and glide...it feels amazing!
  • annakommers
    annakommers Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    omg YES! especially the grease and the cold. ugh, SO much the cold, i thought i was the only one!!! it's losing all that insulation!
  • dontquit82
    Options
    When you've spent most of your life being the overweight wallflower, it's hard to adjust to suddenly being noticed. That sounds so depressing but it's true lol Customers that I've waited on for a year are suddenly flirting with me, the guy in Starbucks is suddenly flirting with me....it's weird lol Honestly, I'm uncomfortable with the attention and sometimes I wish they didn't see me again...is that weird? lol

I really believe that this typically isn't due to the physical changes...but the esteem/confidence changes. You may not notice those changes as much...but others do. :) Congrats on your weight loss!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sclarktiw
    sclarktiw Posts: 217
    Options
    Since losing weight, I’ve noticed a number of changes that had never even occurred to me may happen:

Sleep is much less disturbed and I find I have a full 7-8 hours now rather than repeatedly waking up.
    I used to be ill all the time – now in the unlikely event that I do catch a cold, I’m over it in a day or two.
    If I eat a take-away, I can now taste the fat and grease in things I used to eat all the time without noticing. It’s horrible. (most of the time :laugh:)
    I’m cold. ALL the time.
    My body can’t handle binges any more. I used to be a compulsive binger, and now on the odd occasion I slip up, I get AWFUL stomach pains only an hour later.
    Rather than buy new jeans like I’d hoped, the first thing I had to change was my ring size. :laugh:

Anyone else noticed anything you weren’t expecting?

I too notice I sleep more...but mine is because my wife isn't hitting to wake me up to either roll over or go downstairs because I am snoring!
    I find that I cant eat sugars as much as they are TOO SWEET now...
    I do get colder easier
    Yeah, I cant binge either...or I feel sick...so when I do eat a little too much it is walking time!
    I have to resize my ring now too!

And I would trade any of the above for ANYTHING...well, maybe an AERO bar...JK
  • sclarktiw
    Options
    [Adult Content]

Many of the women have remarked that they are disappointed by the reduction in their breast size due to weight loss.

For the guys, it's the opposite. It's been said we gain back an inch for every 50 pounds we lose.

[/Adult Content]

I thought when I heard that we would gain my wife was trying to motivate me...I thought she was lying...and I think she was...well I have lost a total of 62 lbs...27 before MFP and 35 since MFP...and well...I have increased...she will attest to that...

Humour part of it...well, maybe since it isnt hiding under a shadow and it gets to see the sun it is growing? (sorry, had to)
  • repowife
    repowife Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes!!!! Always cold!!!!:) the coolest thing was changing ring size from an 8 to a 5!!!:) what's up with this wrinkled neck!?!?!?
  • sclarktiw
    Options
    It's made me highly judgemental of overweight people (not pretty but true).

Actually I sort of know what you mean there. I still have a long way to go so I wouldn't say judgemental, but I am definitely no longer sympathetic. In fact, if people moan about their weight, rather than say 'Oh I know how you feel!' I now say, 'get off your backside and do something about it then.'

I too feel the same way...
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My ring size went down from a 7 to 5.25 and I had to remove 2 links from my watch.
    My face is thinner and I can see definition in my arm muscles.
    I agree with getting over illnesses a lot easier now. :smile:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I can eat more, better quality (nutritionally, obviously.. not gold plated eggs... yet) foods, work out (doing something I REALLY enjoy) and lose weight.

Side note: when I ate more, I wasn't freezing to death anymore.

I do eat a healthy amount (1800+ cals), I've been told it's just because I haven't got as much 'padding' as before. :laugh:

I don't think there's any merit to the 'padding' thing - I got cold much more frequently when I was fat than I do now. But I did get cold when I was under-eating as well. You should be able to alleviate it with a multivitamin. Most likely its iron deficiency. (at least thats the most common cause for women, and depending on how your food choices changed with your dieting its very possibly yo're missing some nutrients.)
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The cold thing for sure.My hands actually started turning purple when they were cold.I went to the Doctor and I was diagnosed with Raynauds disease.The Doctor said "it's very common in tiny people". I was so shocked at being called a tiny person,I missed most of what she told me abouth the condition and had to read up on it later.I didn't know I had this disease because I wasn't tiny.Hmmm,skinny and purple or fat and fleshtone?

Ditto...
    On being cold, since losing weight, I have been diagnosed with Reynaud's Disease. I've likely always have had it but without that extra 65 lbs, it wasn't too noticeable.
    My ring size has dropped, have to get my ring resized.
    Just went into Nordstom's today to be fitted for a new bra and to help me figure out what size I was. I've dropped 6 inches around the band.

By far the oddest thing for me however is FEELING MY BONES!
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    When I curl up on my side in bed, my knees bump together and feel bony and uncomfortable. I have to drop one knee down so it doesn't touch the other knee to be comfortable. I used to have extra padding around the knees that were like cushions...lol. Maybe I will get used to it.
    My calves look longer and leaner and my legs are hard. Who knew.
    I can feel bones in places that were padded before :)