Creatine

Options
can anyone tell me the plus and minuses of creatine when weight training?

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Pluses: quick energ burst on max effort movements early on a workout.

Negatives: only that it costs a little money and takes a little time to build up a useable quantity.

It really is one of those supplements that if you can afford, it's kind of silly NOT to take when weight training.
  • alvin0012
    alvin0012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Strength, bulk and will give you more muscle mass. good for bulking

on the low down, it will retain water in your body... so if you want to start cutting for summer, stay away from it. :)
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I've avoided it so far because although I'm weight training, I still have a bit to lose.

Does it have any positive effects for runners? I'm training for a half marathon so just wondering if it can help in that domain.
  • Caesar_3rd
    Options
    See I've heard it's ok to take during cutting because while cutting u lose strength and it helps maintain that strength
  • alvin0012
    alvin0012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    See I've heard it's ok to take during cutting because while cutting u lose strength and it helps maintain that strength

true, you can do that as well with minimal dosage...
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    gave me headaches so bad i stopped using it after four days...

couldnt be bothered to go any further with it or give it another try, just going to be a hardcore au natural kinda guy!

i do this to feel good not subdued due to suplementation, Que the 99.9% of people who have had no reaction, this is only my experience.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've avoided it so far because although I'm weight training, I still have a bit to lose.

Does it have any positive effects for runners? I'm training for a half marathon so just wondering if it can help in that domain.

Creatine is used for power movements, so you won't get much benefit from it as a distance runner. Your body usually uses the creatine as an energy source for about 30-60 seconds...that's why it's great for lifting.
  • Caesar_3rd
    Options
    I want to gain size, but the last thing I want is to get fat!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options

Creatine is used for power movements, so you won't get much benefit from it as a distance runner. Your body usually uses the creatine as an energy source for about 30-60 seconds...that's why it's great for lifting.

Thank you!
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I want to gain size, but the last thing I want is to get fat!

It will not make you fat. People use it while cutting all the time.
  • Caesar_3rd
    Options
    I appreciate it. Are u suppose to alter your dosage while cutting as oppose to bulking?
  • chimp517
    Options
    I appreciate it. Are u suppose to alter your dosage while cutting as oppose to bulking?

I wouldn't. The protocol that works for me is 10 grams in my post workout shake. I dont use anything fancy, just plain Mono. Optimum Nutrition mono is high quality Creapure*
  • Caesar_3rd
    Options
    Appreciate it man, the time and info..
  • Caesar_3rd
    Options
    One more question.. Do U take it everyday? Even on the days U don't workout?
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Creatine's benefits are limited to the weight room. You won't benefit directly from it in your sport of choice unless you are a competitive weight lifter. But, to the extent that your sport benefits from strength training Creatine will indirectly benefit you by allowing you to lift harder.

I had a little problem with muscle cramps, but being careful to drink more fluids helped with that.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • chimp517
    Options

You can, I do not. I do not buy into the "loading phase" and all that. I have done that in the past and I notice no difference doing it this way.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Pros of Creatine: Sick pumps, bigger muscles and better workouts.
    Cons of Creatine: Have to drink a metric **** ton of water or you'll get dehydrated and cramp/get headaches/have a bad time.
  • Caesar_3rd
    Options
    I was told the Mono hydrate is the best to take?
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've heard its bad for you and coaches in sports won't allow it, is this true? How does it differ from protein shakes, like muscle milk? I Hike, run and do Pilates. I'm going for a fit, curvy, dancers body. Also is it addictive and does it cause any problems when you stop taking it?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!