How to lose the "muffin top"

Options
Since the beginning of the year I have lost 12 lbs, and I can fit into smaller jeans, but my problem is my horrible muffin top. The bottom half of me looks great in the jeans, but my stomach area has a lot of lose fat that just hangs over my jeans in very unattractive way. Because of this I wear really baggy t-shirts. Does anyone have any tips on how I can slim down my stomach area? I'd love to be able to wear a smaller shirt size without feeling like I need to wear a tummy tucker...

Replies

• GetHotIn2014
    GetHotIn2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I have the same issue. My legs and arms are pretty disproportionate to my big tummy and everyone assumes I'm pregnant! lol I wish there really was a way to spot reduce fat but everyone says it is what it is and that until I lose more overall fat there really isn't a way to work on decreasing the fat in my tummy specifically. Of course you can work on abs and everything, but that's just going to be part of burning more calories because of having more muscle, and the results aren't gonna come out until you lose more overall fat anyway. I don't know...Good luck! lol
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I have seen some amazing changes even in women with more weight to lose. It definitely lifts up the ab region so that tummy is higher.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i think the only way is to lower your body fat percentage which means keep going.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A "muffin top" is simply excess abdominal fat. There's no way to specifically "target" or spot reduce it - just keep at it and eventually it will go away. How/where you lose fat is determined by your genetics - for some people it's the last spot that stubbornly hangs on. Abdominal/core exercises will strengthen the muscles in that area, but they won't do a thing to get rid of the fat over the muscles.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit.

whole body strength training
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    i think the only way is to lower your body fat percentage which means keep going.
    ^this^
    My arms and legs are LEAN from running and weightlifting. Honest! But I still have quite a ways to go at 5'9" & 237 lbs. So let's keep keeping on and see if it isn't a lot better when we're lighter.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting higher waist jeans with a little stretch to them and not getting caught up in fitting in the smaller sizes. I know mentally it feels great to see the lower number on the tag, but you will look better overall if you find jeans that fit well, in a midrise, where you don't have the muffin top. Trust me, this is coming from someone who carries all my weight in my midsection. I have slender hips and thighs and can now wear the lower waist skinny jeans, but the muffin top kinda negates how well my butt looks! As you lose weight, your waist will shrink. just be patient. It took me 30 pounds to lose 4 inches in my waist, then the last 2 pounds I lost another 2 inches. Finally I am losing the belly.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    A mid-rise pant as the PP suggested will help a lot. Just keep plugging away with your workouts to lower your body fat.
  • roguespirit84
    roguespirit84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your helpful comments, I will continue on my mission to get thin and healthy!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Same issue here <
    I found if I stay away from bread, pasta, grain, and processed food, 1 day of cardio, then next day strength training a very long session of abs. Repeat all week , it helps.
    I fell off the wagon for the last 2 weeks , and it's coming back.
    You probably have the notorious "apple shape" figure, such as I do. It's frustrating, but dressing it down helps to. Google something like how to dress apple shape figure. has great tips. Also, when I go shopping, I take a point & shoot camera. If it doesn't look good in the picture I don't buy it LOL
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Find the right clothes. I have lost quite a bit and now ~130 lbs, 5'6", 21.5% BF. If I put on the wrong (too low of rise) bottoms, I still have a muffin top (grrr). For those of us whose body stores fat (normal amounts or excess), it's adjust wardrobe or keep losing BF.