CLEANSING!!

Options
2»

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I never needed one to lose weight. In fact, drink enough water and your body will do it all by itself! LOL! 100% serious on this one. You don't need extravagant drinks or costly medical procedures, just lots of water and some time will do it. :bigsmile: My body is doing it today too, after having over 160 ounces of water yesterday...
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I actually ended up doing the Renew Life Organic Total Body Cleanse when I was 17, and it really helped.

I had been stupid about trying to rapidly lose weight, and made the mistake of taking a bunch of weight loss pills for a few months, this in turn with a 2 week vacation to a foreign country with foods I wasn't used to really messed up my digestive system, and I was admitted to the hospital with severe cramping (it had lasted for a full week) running from my chest to my belly button. The doctors couldn't figure out what the issue was, but one of the nurses suggested this cleansing program to me as I was leaving (still in severe pain that they couldn't treat).

I went straight to the natural health foods store and bought the "kit" and began to eat vegan for 2 weeks, cutting out all processed foods and liquor. It really seemed to help, and I felt amazing once the cleanse was over. I had lots of energy, and had lost about 3 lbs (daily calories averaging about 1800). After the cleanse was over, I really had to ease myself back into my "regular" foods again though. I still stuck to eating as many fruits and veggies as I could, and gradually introduced white meat and fish, but 6 years later I still won't really go near red meat. I completely cut out refined sugars and white breads/rice too.

I think it was moreso a step in the right direction towards a healthy lifestyle change. Lately I've been slipping up, and coincidentally I saw an ad for Renew Life's products in a magazine yesterday...and I was thinking of trying it out again :)
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Ask any gastroenterologist that they'll tell you that your colon does a great job of cleansing itself without any help at all. Anyone that tells you any different is full of *kitten* :wink:
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Because I was having a constipation issue after a recent trip (sorry if that grosses anyone out), and it was on a clearance rack, I bought Dr Natura's cleansing kit.........it's basically a psyllium-based fiber drink (like Metamucil) and Senna tea. Stuff that I could buy MUCH cheaper. I would never have bought it, but it was on sale for $10.

Did it help? yes, a little. I didn't complete the full 14 days, and didn't drink the senna tea every night (it's a laxative). But I tend to be on a Metamucil regimen all the time, at a doctor's suggestion.

So...............does it help you lose weight? probably, if you're blocked up. Is it good for you? Short term, I don't see the harm. But the idea that you're full of "toxic waste" is silly.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind, weight loss doesn't necessarily mean fat loss. Any weight loss you get from a body cleanse will not be fat loss.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Sounds REFRESHING! I love a fresh, minty colon.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I like to cleanse every night after the gym. It's just good hygiene.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think it was Dr. Oz (could be wrong) that said any benefits are psychosomatic. People think they are doing something that helps their body, so they then do other things that actually help their body. But as far as the science behind it, he said what others in the thread are saying - that there is no actual benefit.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    My constant response to how to clean oneself out is KFC...enough grease in the system, and everything comes out smoothly.

OAN: My sister, who has a genetic issue like her father, had some impacted matter, and no amount of "Cleansing" was going to help it. Her dad finally had to have his intestines taken out and rearranged in order to be able to clean himself out. I'm thinking you don't have those issues, so you don't need a cleanse.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Well, it removes a lot of stored up gunk from your intestines. So, it's probably not really fat loss, but it's just junk that was in your belly weighing you down.
    Stored up gunk? Au contraire, mon frère...

According to Chau Che MD, with New York University:

"Despite evidence to the contrary, the idea that colon cleansing is therapeutic by removing impurities, lives on. However, these claims largely fail to consider normal physiology. The digestive tract has inherent properties that work to clean our colon. After food ingestion, the small intestine absorbs nutrients and contracts to move indigestible residue into the colon. The colon continues the digestive process by absorbing and secreting electrolytes and fluids while its resident bacteria ferments the undigested food products. These are just some of the many mechanisms in which the digestive tract works in order to ensure that the colon does not become encrusted with fecal matter as some products claim. The black, rubbery material passed on a colon cleanse is actually a byproduct from the supplements and fiber in the colon cleansing product as opposed to old fecal material, in which consumers are led to believe."

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1605
    Reviewed by Michael Poles MD and Fritz Francois MD, NYU Division of Gastroenterology
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    My own point of reference? I fasted for a day on clear liquids and took the prep for my colonoscopy. If that wasn't a "cleansing" I don't know what is! You have to be crystal clear for a colonoscopy to visualize your colon walls - all 6 - 9 feet - I forget which. I lost zero weight. Didn't have "impressive" stools either to achieve the cleaning out.

When I was fat I ate probably 4 - 10 gms of fiber a day and had corresponding bowel movements 2 times a week that were murder. Currently I eat 50 - 80 grms of fiber a day through veggies, fruits, nuts, beans and some grains and go daily. Very impressive bathroom results, too I might add! Better than I ever got from some "product" and I tried several! If you'd rather spend your hard earned money on "products" to do so, be my guest. You can achieve the same thing with good old fashioned whole foods. You know, the kind you buy in the produce aisles and take home and "fix"? They are way better for you than anything you can buy in a bottle or at the health food store. There are so many phytonutrients in them that you can't duplicate in a lab.

If this is a lifestyle approach then healthy eating should be the number one thing you do and fiber will be in your food. If you are not interested in healthy eating then nothing will work in the long run for you to maintain your losses.
    Edit: It is only the last foot or so of the colon where everything turns from liquid to solid as water is absorbed from your colon. You are wrong if you imagine solids backing up from stem to stern. IT is all in liquid form until it reaches the end portion of your colon where it turns to a solid by the fluid portion being reabsorbed back into your body.
    Best of luck to you.
  • susanswan
    Options
    I have heard of cleanses where it totally detoxs your body so you no longer crave the junk... ANy ideas as i would love to do one but still want it to be healthy and not harsh on my body

Removing all sugar and white flours, sugars, refined grains from your diet will eliminate your cravings for junk food. Read labels to make sure your diet is clean after you eliminate these foods. Works like a charm and takes less than 2 weeks! Best of all it is FREE!
  • susanswan
    Options
    Enemas?! Good way to train your colon to not move until you tell it to.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

It's better to cleanse before working out. Don't want any 'accidents' during those heavy squats...

I usually do the Popular Science, or The In Fisherman cleanse.
  • markap3
    markap3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started this yesterday. Had a splitting headache today, which is one of the side effects mentioned in reviews. I am doing the 14 day cleanse & then hope to continue to be healthy. I figured if I do the cleanse & quit drinking, I should be on a healthy road within 2 weeks.