Jamaica

Hey taking a trip to Jamaica soon. Would love to get some opinions, recommendations, advice, etc. Thanks in advance!

Which parts are better, more beautiful?

Replies

• joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Hi,

We went to Jamaica over Christmas - and it was amazing. We stayed at the Grand Palladium Spa and resort in Lucea (flew into Montego Bay). We had a fab time. Some things you MUST do:

Go to Negril - even if for a day - this is a seven mile beach of beautiful white sand, blue water etc - next time we go we will be staying in Negril. We got a local tourguide to take us - far cheaper than going with the official bus tours from the hotel. For 8 of us we got a personalized tour all day long, and the driver stayed with us on the beach, looked after our stuff and negotiated with the locals for water sports etc. He also took us to eat at a local spot (food was just meh there). All for $120 for everyone. The hotels charge like 30 bucks a person at a minimum. I may have his number if you are interested. His name is Milton.

2. You MUST see the sun setting at Ricks cafe - this was seriously the most amazing thing I/ we have seen in our lives - Not sure if I can post a picture here but it was spectacular. Also at Ricks cafe there are locals who dive off 80 ft cliffs - it is a sight to behold. Tourists can also dive for $1. My daring 11 yr old son did it - loads of fun. We did not eat there but I hear the food is also really nice.

3. On a previous trip we went to Dunns River fall - which was interesting - literally this is walking up treachorous waterfalls - adrenaline pumping - but my two kids (both say around 9 and 11 at the time did it - and completed it. If you are planning to do this you should buy water shoes before you go as you cannot climb without them.

4. The best Jerk spot on the island is called Scotchies - you will need to hire a taxi to take you there - not sure where you are staying.

5. Oh and if you are going to snorkel - I advise you to buy the snorkel mouthpiece and goggles - no need to take the flippers with you as they are bulky. We hated having to use some dirty looking snorkels. Ugh.

6. Lastly - we were lucky enough to use the first class lounge at the Montego bay airport and there was a sign that said Coscto members were also allowed to use the lounge - so if you are a Costco member - give it a try - just take your card with you. The lounge is very nice with loads of free snacks and drinks...

Enjoy and email me if you have any other questions or need the tour guide's information.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Negril. Very nice. Ricks IS awesome - down the road from Ricks, find Tensing Pen - just outside is Ras Rody's. Eat there. Talk to him. Gain knowledge.
  • lalalyn12
    lalalyn12 Posts: 80 Member
    Nice... I been to Ocho Rios last year and it was nice, I had took a stroll downtown and they was haggling me to death, but I do want to go back and I am planning to go to Montego Bay with my church in october so I can be able to see more of the island and how the people live...
  • there are several places. You can get an all inclusive room with flight and transfers for about 1800 and up for 2 people and thats with taxes. Negril, and Ocho Rios are great.