Broccoli and Cauliflower Ideas

Options
I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I need some suggestions on how to make myself like these vegetables. I try to eat them raw or lightly steamed. Either way I don't like them, but I know they are good for you. Although I eat vegetables, I haven't been eating these until recently. Any suggestions would be great, but I want to keep it simple.

Thanks

Replies

• PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well, if you eat vegetables, it isn't necessary to force yourself to eat something you don't like. However, there are a lot of options if you absolutely want to keep trying. You can steam them and mix them in with any pastas you might want. I used 1 cup of broccoli in mac n cheese in order to increase the amount I can have! Cauliflower can lighten up a lot of things. I make cauliflower crust pizza. You can also make mashed cauliflower which has the same consistency as mashed potatoes, but when you season it with garlic and onions, you can't really taste the cauliflower.
  • MarsChallenge
    MarsChallenge Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    califlower is great roasted. a little olive oil, s & P and roast at 400 until brown. my 7 year old loves it too!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of recipes for both of them on my veggies Pinterest board: www.pinterest.com/issypal.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Coat them in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and roast them at 375 until they are kind of toasty. Boil the cauliflower and mash it like potatos. Get a salad dressing that you like and use it as a dip.
  • Calamity_
    Options
    Once steamed, you put them in a mixed egg (you can take only white, I don't know if the results is the same) and "fry" them on pan like you make French toast (without milk and sugar part)
  • imadyer
    imadyer Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like them both raw with some sunflower seeds, golden raisins, and a little of Ken's Lite Sweet Onion dressing.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Cheese sauce. Soup.
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice - boil the cauliflower, when soft drain the water a mash it up. Heat a frying pan with a little butter (yes butter is way tastier than oil) then lightly fry the mash up cauliflower. SO YUMMY! I use it to replace things that go well with rice or potato, like cuts of meat, also goes really well with cheese.

Also for a probably better and more technical version:
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/CauliflowerRice.htm
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Mix into mashed potatoes.

Stir-fry.

Steam and add into a homemade alfredo or white sauce.

Toss into pasta salad.
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    Looking good so far. I'm going to try some of these ideas. Thanks
  • sltpsu15
    sltpsu15 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Coat them in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and roast them at 375 until they are kind of toasty. Boil the cauliflower and mash it like potatos. Get a salad dressing that you like and use it as a dip.

I love my veggies roasted. To add to the suggestion above, once you take the roasted broccoli out of the oven add some chopped fresh basil, a tad bit of shredded Parmesan, and some lemon zest. I wasn't so sure of the combo when I first heard it...but it is wonderful. I have it at least 2x per week!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Well, if you eat vegetables, it isn't necessary to force yourself to eat something you don't like.

I agree 100% with this statement. Eat what you like. Don't try to force yourself to eat something you just, plain and simple, don't like.

That being said, creamed cauliflower soup is AMAZING! Skinnytaste.com has a creamed asparagus soup recipe that I adapted in to creamed cauliflower soup. I may never make potato soup again because this tasted just like potato soup! The asparagus version is great, too!
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Definitely coming back to this thread for ideas. There's a bag of cauliflower in the freezer just sitting there. I don't eat cauliflower so I have no idea what to do with it to make it non-horrible tasting :frown: