Wits end about Carbs

Options
Hi to all.

Okay, patience is not one of my virtues.

I have been eating very clean, for three weeks now. When I say clean I mean whistle-clean. My meals are all organic, whole grain breads, NO white flour, no meat, except for fish. I don't drink alcohol..no sodas of any sort. Only water and tea with NOTHING in it. No candy. Zip.

I work out hard for 1.5 hours, five times a week (running, weights, elliptical, rower, etc.).

I went to my doctor's today for my physical. I have gained another pound in the past three weeks.

I am not overweight according to the charts, but want to lose about 10 pounds...where I feel my absolute best. I am very discouraged right now.

My doctor loves this new program called Ideal Protein. He has lost 20 pounds, his wife 30. It seems to be another derivative of Atkins. My doctor firmly believes that carbs are bad - including some fruit, like bananas. He told me I can lose the weight in 3 weeks...and that I need to cut back on the carbs...even the whole grain bread (and I mean it IS whole grain..tastes like chalk!).

I am a runner. I know I cannot run without carbs. However, when I look at my thickened waistline, I am not thrilled. Yes, I have been logging all my food intake, and exercise..and in all categories, I am either a tiny bit under or right where it says to be for my goals.

Any advice?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    How many veggies do you get? How much water are you taking in? Do you watch your sodium at all?

You could be not eating enough if exercising so much. Try increasing your calories by just a little bit (50 or 100). What is your activity level set for? Maybe increase that instead of the calories & see what it gives you.
  • jovigal1959
    jovigal1959 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi Arielle.

My water intake needs improvement, for sure!

Veggies? Not great.

I will try your suggestion. I love your profile (especially the tattoo reward!).
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i have been eating between 80-100 carbs a day for the last 12 days and i have lost 7 pounds. just a thought. i have cut out all grains and almost all sugar, except 2 packets of splenda a day and the fruit. only eating berries, apple and the occasional watermelon.

check out Paleo or Primal. i run 3 days a week and so far the 4 runs i have done have been great this past week.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but I agree with your doc, carbs can be a nightmare, even "good" ones, I'm an avid runner, ran the Boston marathon last week, i'm also heavy into weight lifting, but I cut out most carbs and when I do eat them it's early in the day that I do so. When I need to cut for competition I cut carbs even further..it works for my body, not for everyone, the only wayt to know is to try it out. I still eat Oatmeal for breakfast, but no breads, not even whole grain and I never ever eat pasta...it works for me, you have to find your own balance.
  • aippolito1
    Options
    More veggies!!!! Vegetables can really kick off your weight loss. Your body may be getting the same nutrients over and over and you're not getting a variety, and vegetables can defnitely help with that. Also, I agree with gymrat... just try it and see what works for you. I try not to eat any carbs after my last snack, which is about 6 o'clock and then it's oats (fiber bar). After that, none.
  • jovigal1959
    Options
    You all have talke me OFF the ledge! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I am reviewing my reports....As a runner, how many carbs should I be hovering around?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Oh come on guys...... really?

Carbs are not bad!

The reason why you can lose a lot of weight quickly when you get off the carbs is because you go into ketosis. Seriously guys, carbs are not bad, eating too many carbs are bad, but so is eating too much protein, or too many fats. If you want to learn more about a ketogenic diet, then you can google it. You'll understand why your doctor and his wife have suddenly lost a bunch of weight. But this isn't a diet, ketogenic diets are a lifestyle, fine if you're willing to commit, but completely temporary if you aren't.
  • jovigal1959
    Options
    SHboss-

I am trying to figure out the right balance...I know..too much of anything isn't good for you.

Upon reviewing my food log, my carbs are usually around 160g for the day. It is within the parameters Fitness Pal dictated for my goal weight..but yet, I have gained a pound, not lost.

I am confused.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My first thought is if you don't eat many veggies then low carb is not for you! You will be getting about zero fibre!

Also, low carb diets are generally a bad idea. When it comes to carbs it's all about portion control. The problem with low carb diets is that your brain needs glucose for energy (regardless of what activity you do) which is usually gets from carbs. If you don't eat carbs, your liver will make glucose but it's much easier for it to make glucose from protein than from fat. This means that your body will prioritise burning muscle over burning fat. Fat will still be lost is you have a calorie deficit but at the expense of decreased muscle mass, a slower metabolic rate and poor health. There's a reason grains are in the 'eat most' section of the food pyramid.

You could try a happy-medium type approach if you were really keen to try low carb. This is 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat. It usually goes something like: small portion of cereal in the morning with milk, fruit snack, sandwich with 100g meat (and salad or whatever of course) for lunch, yoghurt snack, 200g meat with veggies (and no carbs) at dinner.

These things are not for everyone of course.

Good luck
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    SHboss-

I am trying to figure out the right balance...I know..too much of anything isn't good for you.

Upon reviewing my food log, my carbs are usually around 160g for the day. It is within the parameters Fitness Pal dictated for my goal weight..but yet, I have gained a pound, not lost.

I am confused.

I don't know why you've gained as I don't know your situation, I seriously doubt it's your carb intake that's doing it, I'd be more inclined to say that you have something else going on that's causing it. There are lots of reasons why people don't lose weight like they would expect.

If' you're really baffled, I'd make an appointment with a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist, unless the nutritionist is also a registered dietitian), registered dietitians are trained in the field of nutrition, doctors generally get little to no formal training in nutrition and as such, are more often than not, just as uninformed at it as the rest of us.
  • lilmissy2
    Options

If' you're really baffled, I'd make an appointment with a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist, unless the nutritionist is also a registered dietitian), registered dietitians are trained in the field of nutrition, doctors generally get little to no formal training in nutrition and as such, are more often than not, just as uninformed at it as the rest of us.

Oh my god! I see from your profile that you are a trainer? I've never heard a trainer give this advice and I have to say (as a registered dietitian) that it's really great to see :)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Oh my god! I see from your profile that you are a trainer? I've never heard a trainer give this advice and I have to say (as a registered dietitian) that it's really great to see :)

I'vet spoken with to many whacky nutritionists and too many uninformed doctors to do anything but! :tongue:
  • lilmissy2
    Options
    hahahaha I so know what you mean!
  • jovigal1959
    Options
    I just had an appointment with my internist..who is excellent.

I have been to nutrionists before..and some like the lower carb meals, other hover towards a mix/balance.

I guess my surprise is that I do workout, and that I have stopped eating any sugar. I don't drink alcohol or any kind of beverage (diet or regular). I do drink water..but will admit, not enough.

I am an accountant and just got through tax season...so I have gone back to my good habits as of 3.5 weeks ago. I know, not too long of a time, but I was hoping for some budge on the scale. During tax season, my days consisted of five hours of sleep, no exercise, and bad food choices. While my calories stayed low during tax season, the content was BAD!
  • aippolito1
    Options
    I just had an appointment with my internist..who is excellent.

I have been to nutrionists before..and some like the lower carb meals, other hover towards a mix/balance.

I guess my surprise is that I do workout, and that I have stopped eating any sugar. I don't drink alcohol or any kind of beverage (diet or regular). I do drink water..but will admit, not enough.

I am an accountant and just got through tax season...so I have gone back to my good habits as of 3.5 weeks ago. I know, not too long of a time, but I was hoping for some budge on the scale. During tax season, my days consisted of five hours of sleep, no exercise, and bad food choices. While my calories stayed low during tax season, the content was BAD!

Well, that's probably a good reason you gained. Your body got used to the way you WERE eating and now it needs to get used to the way you ARE eating. Give it time...definitely pump up the veggies still and increase your water intake so you don't retain any water.
  • getphysicallyfit
    Options
    Carbs are needed and are your energy source. As said before carbs are not bad.

FInd out what your Blood type is. YOu can be eating all the right foods but not right for you. Also look at your sleep patterns and being an over trainer will also cause you to plateau. Over training takes you out of fat burning into muscle burning mode and can cause an increase in cortisol build up as well.

Never stay on a "routine" never try to eat the same amount of calories a day.. You have to mix it up and if your tired of running around in circles then it really is time for you to get a good trainer who can help you adddress all of these concerns.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Oh come on guys...... really?

Carbs are not bad!

The reason why you can lose a lot of weight quickly when you get off the carbs is because you go into ketosis. Seriously guys, carbs are not bad, eating too many carbs are bad, but so is eating too much protein, or too many fats. If you want to learn more about a ketogenic diet, then you can google it. You'll understand why your doctor and his wife have suddenly lost a bunch of weight. But this isn't a diet, ketogenic diets are a lifestyle, fine if you're willing to commit, but completely temporary if you aren't.

I love carbs, my body doesn't, I think I made it clear that it's a lifestyle change for me..and that cutting back the carbs worked for me. I regulate them big time, and excess carbs were the reason I didn't lose my last 10lbs. a low carb diet is what I live by now. Could work well for her, and then again it may not.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Well, you said you only have 10 to lose correct? It's gonna be slow, and there's gonna be some fluctuation, it took me about 5 or 6 months to lose my last 10, it's just how it goes. For your last 10, expect about 1/4 lb per week, and not every week either. Remember, your body doesn't WANT to lose the last 10, it feels perfectly fine where it is, and will not give up that little extra "just in case" weight without a fight.

Hey, you're eating super clean, and you're exercising, have faith, it'll happen for you, but it's gonna take time.

good luck.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

We love Boss...he's always given sound advice.

As for the OP- seek another opinion. My family doctor growing up gave my mother the lecture of a life time about shoving meat down my throat...and if I didn't want it I should just go without anything until I was willing to eat the meat. Needless to say I'm still a vegetarian and while I respect that doctors opinion...his wasn't the only one. My mom sought advice from several sources before finally consigning that I was destined to not eat meat.
    Also, as for the weight gain...there are many factors- are your muscles sercreating lactic acid, is it TOM, how much sodium are you consuming, have you not used the restroom in a while, have you been under any stress. People can have a fluxuation of anywhere of 1-10 pounds a day.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Also know that MFP defaults to like 60% carbs which could very well be too much for most folks. I have mine set at 45% because that's what I'm comfortable with right now. You can change your settings by going to "My Home" then "Goals" then "Customize."

I wonder if you're eating *enough.* I started gaining weight on 1200 calories a day after doing that for 4.5 months. Now that I've started eating more (a LOT more), I've started losing weight again (albeit more slowly than I was at first-- but that's much better than gaining like I was doing there for a few weeks while my body was freaking out about me not eating enough).