Honeymoon ideas!?

Options
13»

Replies

• azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Jekyll Island, GA. It's a small island where the millionaires used to go to get away from it all. It's small and has a "homey" feel. The beaches are never crowded, you can rent bikes and ride around the entire island. Sea Island and St. Simons Island are an easy drive away (20 min?). And you can take a ferry over to Cumberland Island. Wild horses roam the island and it is pretty much the same way it was 50-75 years ago. :flowerforyou:

I really like this idea, thank you. :) I'm looking for small/not crowded, so this sounds like a good possibility. My wedding is going to be super simple. I'd like to feel relaxed on the honeymoon too.
  • azalea617
    Options
    Don't discount flying somewhere. Round trip tickets "off season" can actually be cheaper then driving.
    No offence but, you are smack dab in the middle of nowhere

Oh don't I know it, brother! We are actually close to Harrisburg, within a few hours of Baltimore, DC, Pittsburgh, so it's not too bad of a location. However, the Amish buggies riding down the street of my town tend to remind me my locale is a little different than most.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I would take a train somewhere. Cheaper than flying, about the same as driving without the hassle and without having to check into a hotel en route. Get a sleeper car and, um, yeah enjoy your honeymoon!
  • azalea617
    Options
    Not sure what our budget is but Nemacolin Lodge, not too far from you, is great. Spa, food, outdoor and inidoor activities. Went there with my wife and had a spectacular time.

http://mobile.nemacolin.com/?gclid=CODE7YaMgbUCFcc7MgodVU0A9Q

That looks really neat! Thank you! Even if we didn't use that for the honeymoon, I think I'd like to go there someday! :)
  • CheekyRunner
    CheekyRunner Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Niagara Falls is beautiful on both the Canadian and US sides with lots of trails to walk. There are a lot of nice B&B's around Niagara on the Lake. I think you could save some $ staying there. On the Can. side there is the Butterfly Consevatory which is lovely and the Oh Canada Eh' Dinner theatre which is so funny and you can get cheap tickets from Costco. The list goes on and on.....
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I went to Cuba for my honeymoon, but i guess being American you probably can't do that!

I've only ever been to the US once, but I would recommend San Francisco. We drove from there to LA via the Pacific Coast Highway and it was stunning. We stopped off at Santa Cruz which was lovely and I wish we could've spent more time there. Apparently San Diego is worth a visit, but we went from LA to Vegas.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've got lots of international destinations to suggest, but since you wanna be a bit local..

have you thought about Cape Cod, MA? I don't know think it'll be more beautiful than Niagara falls, but it might be a nice choice. Another option might be a cruise (i personally don't like them, but maybe you do?) and there are a ton that leave out of New York.

I think Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod, and Nantucket have all been named a top honeymoon destinations in the US and there are all within driving distance of you. I would love to go to Nantucket!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Thousand Islands its really nice and is on the water and has lots to do without a lot of driving.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Endor
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    What about Maine. It is really beautiful there. Even Vermont is nice. If it were me, I a would go to Hawaii on my honeymoon. When I got married I went to Hawaii. It is an experience you will never forget. But if you cannot afford it. There are many places in PA, Florida, Boston, New Orleans. If you like gaming their are two places in CT that are supposed to be nice. Best wishes and congrats on your up coming marriage.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Jekyll Island, GA. It's a small island where the millionaires used to go to get away from it all. It's small and has a "homey" feel. The beaches are never crowded, you can rent bikes and ride around the entire island. Sea Island and St. Simons Island are an easy drive away (20 min?). And you can take a ferry over to Cumberland Island. Wild horses roam the island and it is pretty much the same way it was 50-75 years ago. :flowerforyou:

I really like this idea, thank you. :) I'm looking for small/not crowded, so this sounds like a good possibility. My wedding is going to be super simple. I'd like to feel relaxed on the honeymoon too.

Love Jekyll Island! It is beautiful and has a lot of character. Also, not that far from Savannah, if you wanted to take a day trip.

The Outer Banks are also amazing.
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    I went to Disney World on my honeymoon.... it was amazing. So much fun, and if you tell them you're on your honeymoon (you can get these super-cute Minnie Mouse wedding ears to wear), they do special things for you.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I did my honeymoon at Cedar Point! it was amazing it was the week of the 4th so we got fireworks over the lake... <3
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I was going to say Maui! My parents went there for their 20th wedding anniversary and it was around $4,000 for both of them to go and we live in Florida :)
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I went to Niagara falls and thought it was tacky and horrid, but Niagara on the lake is lovely.
    We went on a Nile Cruise for our honeymoon, visited lots of temples and then flew to Cairo, saw the Great Pyramid, the Egyptian museum and Saladin's citadel, then flew to Luxor and stayed on a wonderful private Island 5* hotel, we had a dawn hot air balloon trip over the valley of the kings and it was awesome x