How do you fall sleep?

Options
BonnieandClyde29
BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
I work 2nd shift, and I usually like to work out before I go to work, but sometimes it's really hard for me to wake up, I suffer sometimes from insomnia and working out helps out usually with it, so for a while I would work out when I get off work, but lately work has been so crazy when I get off I'm tired and hurting....I DO NOT like taking sleeping pills, I used to have to take them all the time when I was a teenager for my night terrors and insomnia and they just made it worse or more medicine would be added I'm just looking for suggestions on what you do to help you fall asleep....I don't fall asleep easily, I wake up a lot, and then I have a hard time waking up before 12:00pm....When I worked 10 hour shifts during the day, it sucked because I dont like waking up early BUT it helped me find a routine, so I'm trying to get that going again....

so what are your home remedys?

Replies

• therealsuperbigrob
    therealsuperbigrob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I switch from working days to nights every two months. 12 hour shifts. I have a hard time sleeping on my days off at night. I find the biggest reason is my mind is active. Always thinking about something while I'm laying in bed. like my to-do list, or want to do list. I saw that you come home sore and work is crazy. I would say gotta find something to take your mind off of work I know you said no sleeping pills but the melatonin is all natural. might try it. a bottle is cheap. try once or read about it and and see if your interested.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options

so what are your home remedys?

Go to bed with a good book, prop up your pillows, dim light and start reading. Before you know it, book has slipped out of your hands :wink:
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Blackout blinds... double honeycomb... they are awesome.
    Selectblinds.com

Totally, 100% worth the money.

I had the same "active mind" issue, but once I got my room dark, it made it sooooooo much easier to shut down.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Intoxicated...lol

Just kidding... I fall asleep after destroying the day and leaving nothing standing...

x sigh x Having trouble falling asleep tonight...2am...2:10am... sigh
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Reading a good book or magazine before going to bed helps me. I also have a white noise machine, there's 20 different sounds on there that I can choose, covers other noises around, relaxes me and makes me fall asleep really fast.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    way too late, and usually after some gaming or reading.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I take Melatonin. After about 15 years of taking Tylenol PM every night just to sleep, I figured my liver probably hated me. These work better for me than anything ever has.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I take Melatonin. After about 15 years of taking Tylenol PM every night just to sleep, I figured my liver probably hated me. These work better for me than anything ever has.

I had forgotten about that, but melatonin is also a great natural option :happy:
  • jbeane75
    Options
    a few adult beverages or an orgasm usually do the trick
  • sclarktiw
    sclarktiw Posts: 217
    Options
    Intoxicated...lol

Just kidding... I fall asleep after destroying the day and leaving nothing standing...

x sigh x Having trouble falling asleep tonight...2am...2:10am... sigh

I feel your pain...not sleeping to well here too! LOL

I hate sleeping alone and no matter how small the bed is (mine is a double in this place) that it might as well be a king size when there is no one beside you. I usually turn out all the lights, leave a fan running to block out any sudden noises and turn on some preset music on my Iphone to sooth me asleep.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I agree with the black out blinds and melatonin, but even with both of those I rarely get to sleep before 4 am.

My husband got me a white noise machine a few years ago and that really helped, not so much with the falling asleep, but with staying asleep. If I don't have it on I wake up at least 50% more often.

My sister swears by meditation, and it does help me, but I have a hard time with it. I just can't seem to shut my random thoughts off!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options

haha well 2 issues with that, when I drinkI can only sleep for 2 hours max!!! and yes even black out drunk i cant sleep, but thats because the alcohol makes you skip REM which is why you don't feel like you get a deep sleep, and as far as an orgasm goes, i can only do so much!!! LOL my boyfriend is currently in India for the past 6 months!!! ugh told him i feel like im dying here! haha
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

haha well 2 issues with that, when I drinkI can only sleep for 2 hours max!!! and yes even black out drunk i cant sleep, but thats because the alcohol makes you skip REM which is why you don't feel like you get a deep sleep, and as far as an orgasm goes, i can only do so much!!! LOL my boyfriend is currently in India for the past 6 months!!! ugh told him i feel like im dying here! haha

They make devices to assist with that. :wink:
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    Blackout blinds... double honeycomb... they are awesome.
    Selectblinds.com

Totally, 100% worth the money.

I had the same "active mind" issue, but once I got my room dark, it made it sooooooo much easier to shut down.

i used to do that when i worked over nights, it helped out a lot i only have little white blinds right now...probably need to invest as even the street lights wake me up now :grumble:
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options

They make devices to assist with that. :wink:

haha yes i know, i already have quite a collection already, but its not always fun by yourselfso im just PATIENLY waiting here!!! lol
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Preaching to the choir. :laugh:
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    thre is a really good drink called nuero sleep, its only like 35 cals fora whole bottle and its all natural and melatonin, which would help me fall asleep within an hour or 2, buti havent been able to buy any lately currently broke....sucks...
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    Preaching to the choir. :laugh:

haha aww i'm sorry!!! i've been waiting since July 20th!!! haha my boyfriend wont be back until the end of Feb....getting closer!!!! lol (that's what she said!)
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Tonight, not too well. I found a spider in my bed last night :sick:

But sometimes when I can't sleep, a cup of honey chamomile tea will help. I'm not sure if it's the chamomile, or a psychological effect from warm, comfy herbal tea, but either way, it's awesome, especially with a bit of milk and nutmeg. Either this, or a warm bath.

Also, it usually helps if I've done a strenuous workout that day.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    Tonight, not too well. I found a spider in my bed last night :sick:

But sometimes when I can't sleep, a cup of honey chamomile tea will help. I'm not sure if it's the chamomile, or a psychological effect from warm, comfy herbal tea, but either way, it's awesome, especially with a bit of milk and nutmeg. Either this, or a warm bath.

Also, it usually helps if I've done a strenuous workout that day.

haha aww you cant kill a spider in your house though thats bad luck for 7 years!!! lol.... im not a fan of tea, but i guess i really need to try this chamomile tea everyone is talking about...working out helps, but i perfer to work out in the morning, just trying to find a way to fall asleep so i can wake up early enough to do it before work....it would be nice to have some kind of routine again :tongue: