Jillian Michael 30DS Advice.

Options
So, I planned on starting it 5 days ago and I did.
However, I found out :

- I couldn't get past 6 minutes.
-Tried it again after two days (took a break because all my muscles were SO SORE) and today I just made it to 6 minutes.
- I feel my heart beat rising which is normal but I need to take a break to breathe but Jillian says No Breaks.

I want to ask..
Has this happened to anyone else? How long did it take you to make it to 27 minutes?
Do you have any advice for me that would help me to make it through the whole level 1 video? =/
I never thought I would find it THIS DIFFICULT. =(

Also, the push ups are the death of me. I just CANNOT do them, not even the beginner level ones. =(

Replies

• Sanzrox
    Sanzrox Posts: 10
    Options
    bump
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Jillian says you can take a break--just not more than 5 seconds. But I bet she won't find out if you take more than that. ;)
    Take it slow and do as much as you can when you feel ready. Slowly but surely you'll see yourself getting stronger. When I started I couldn't do the pushups either and now I can. :) Are you doing the modified? There is no shame in that game when you are first getting started--that workout is HARD!!
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Jillian says you can take a break--just not more than 5 seconds. But I bet she won't find out if you take more than that. ;)
    Take it slow and do as much as you can when you feel ready. Slowly but surely you'll see yourself getting stronger. When I started I couldn't do the pushups either and now I can. :) Are you doing the modified? There is no shame in that game when you are first getting started--that workout is HARD!!
    ^^^ This
  • Garfunklette
    Garfunklette Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You might try doing the strength training movements without weights. And if you need to, do coffee table or wall pushups. I'm on day 4 of level 2 and I'll pause the DVD when I feel like I'm going to die. But I totally agree with Nikkohli, just keep pressing play and the endurance will come.
  • miss_sarcastic
    Options
    If you need a break, take a break. BUT, still try to push yourself. Still move around during your breather if you can...whenever I needed to catch my breath, I would still hop a little or jog in place.

As for being sore, you need to stretch more than JM does in the video. I dedicate about 15-20 minutes of stretching at the end of my workouts. So many people are sore after her workouts and I blame a lot of it on the build-up of lactic acid in the muscles because she doesn't allow for proper stretching time.

And when you're still sore the next day (because it's going to happen), just try and push yourself through the soreness for the first few minutes of the workout. You /should/ find that your soreness eases as the workout goes on. That's what happens to me, anyway. It's just starting a workout when you're that sore is the problem lol
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Move on. Find anther workout. Then come back to this one later after you build better endurance.
  • Alioops831
    Alioops831 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Move on. Find anther workout. Then come back to this one later after you build better endurance.

I agree with this. Try some low impact aerobics with a little high impact in it. Build your endurance for a couple weeks and THEN try Shred Level 1. Try not using weights to ease into it. I find myself not being able to do the jump rope immediately after the jumping jacks, so the I make the jump rope really low impact by doing a little jog while swinging the "rope" instead. By the end of the circuit I'm jumping that rope like crazy for some reason.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    When doing the shred, I do the modified versions as I do what Anita does. I took breaks whenever I needed to. In level 1, I did not have any stamina whatsoever so I tired easily and needed frequent breaks to catch my breath. It gets better the more you do it. You slowly build your strength and endurance the more you do it. If I was sore, I would take a rest day or two to rest my muscles. I am at the end of level 3 and take 5 sec breaks for water whenever needed, but I push on through. It gets better.
  • Cherilyn007
    Cherilyn007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tried it tonight as i was bored..... so tired and i have little stamina but i made it through the whole 1st workout... take rests as you need or youll end up letting this dvd win just wish i knew how to log the workout on mfp =(
  • starryskies_16
    starryskies_16 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do the beginner moves, wall push-ups and if I can't manage to do all the moves in one go (like jumping jacks) I stop and march on the spot til I feel less like I'm going to die. Trick is to keep moving but recognise when you need to slow down. I've also found that a glass of milk post-workout helps me with the muscle soreness.
  • simi5064
    simi5064 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! 6 minutes and its the death of me!!
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself! And if you need a break then def take one just don't let yourself sit there for too long :)

When i first started it i would take lots of mini 5-10 second breaks to try and catch my breath, but i stuck with it and in no time i was able to do the whole video with maybe 1 or 2 tiny breaks!

And for the pushups, make sure you're doing it on carpet or on a cushy mat so it doesn't hurt your knees. Pay attention to their form and start off by doing as many as you can.. even if you can only go down a quarter of the way! Just push yourself to go lower and to do more each day!
  • sting02
    sting02 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 and doing it in the mornings and evening i use protein drink to help with the soreness add if u would like to help motivate each other while on this journey
  • theWinchester
    theWinchester Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Idk it might be just me but I loved the challenge, I loved it so much I just kept pushing through day after day until I injured my ankle.
    I think people need to do extra stretching before the workout. And I didn't listen when my body told me no more. Really don't over do it. I would also recommend two day rest each week.
  • JOYOUS62
    JOYOUS62 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have just completed day 1 level 1, I took short breaks when I needed to, I did enjoy it though but omg my legs are like jelly :laugh:
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I second this as well. I was working out for four+ months before I even attempted Jillian's Shred video. You need to build up your strength.
  • tina_belg
    tina_belg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can. You'll see, after a while you'll be able to do more.
    I had to take breaks on day 1 and day 2, but after that it got better every time. When I started I could only do 2 (!) modified push-ups, now I can keep up with the video. Don't give up!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Tried it tonight as i was bored..... so tired and i have little stamina but i made it through the whole 1st workout... take rests as you need or youll end up letting this dvd win just wish i knew how to log the workout on mfp =(

Most people, like me log it as circuit training, general... but thhe calorie count is to hight that way... I read before that JM said that you burn about 1.11 cal per pound you weigh. That's what I go by anyway...
  • shelmac
    shelmac Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Dont give up just take your time building up to it, I stayed on level 1 for 15 days, now on level 2 and Im gonna do it every other day, as Im struggling with it.
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3, but i have completed it before. It does get easier as the days go on, it is normal to have to take breaks when you first start level 1. Keep at it, you'll get there :wink: