What have you learned being on this journey?

Options
I am sure this question has been done before but I am doing this for a couple reasons; it is therapy for me and to help at least one person on here by shedding light on a topic they may not have thought until they see it in ink either by me or someone else.

So here goes...

I have learned so many things being here:

1-I am not alone.
2-Even though I have had the same body for 43 years I have learned so much about it while trying to lose weight, what it likes, doesnt like, how it reacted to going from 3000 calories a day, down to 1800, then to 1680, then to 1550 (dont ask me, as MFP).
3-We are not the same, what works for one might or might not work for me, but I have taken what has been said and tried things and some have worked and some not.
4-You people are all amazing.

Sorry, I had to stop myself at 4 or I would keep going! Hell, I just learned that I have learned alot.

Your turn!

Replies

• zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I can do whatever the hell I set my mind to, no one can stop me, and it feels great to feed what I need instead of what everyone around me needs!

I am definitely not alone, and my MFP peeps are AMAZING!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I learned that I love and respect myself when I'm working out and eating right, but that if I start to backslide, be lazy, and eat too much junk/drink too much booze, I start to hate myself. So it's as much a mental health as physical health endeavor for me!

On the purely fitness-related side, it's hard to sum up everything I've learned, since I was completely ignorant when I started. I learned how to properly fuel my body (both in terms of caloric intake and macros), I learned what foods will trigger uncontrollable eating and how to avoid them, and I learned how little I miss most of the junk I ate.

One of the most important things I learned, which I learned fairly recently, was how inaccurate HRMs are at calculating anything other than straight cardio. I had been using it to estimate calories burned during strength and circuit training, and boy was I disappointed to learn how off those estimates had been. :sad:
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have learned ...
    1.Eating healthy isn't the same as starving or eating salads all the time.
    2. if I have a bad day, it's ok. Get back on track ASAP.
    3. Love what I see in the mirror.
    4. That my body doesn't need fried food to survive.
    Like you I could keep going.
    Viki
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    It's hard. So hard. Losing weight and keeping it off has to be harder than quitting smoking (which I've also done too)!!!

I've also learned what a supportive group I have joined. I'm so happy to have found this place!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I won't wake up dead if I go to bed hungry. I used to hate feeling hungry but now I don't care whether I'm hungry or not. As long as I've eaten to my plan I'm cool with it. Part of that plan means eating correctly before exercise and eating correctly after exercise.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I truly am capable of amazing things and love being healthy.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Just don't stop believing.
  • 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this almost 4 months and down 40 pounds. This is one of the greatest and most difficult things I have ever done but I do know now that I can do this. I have lost and gained weight for over 20 years and finally this has clicked.

I have learned the following:

1. That each day is a new start to health and wellness
    2. That eating and incorporating most foods is essential to my journey since this is a lifestyle change, I will eat this way the rest of my life.
    3. Excercise is not an optional activity for me, it makes me feel good mentally and physically
    4. Calories count, period!
    5. Support and tough love from MFP, family and friends really help.
    6. Forgive yourself for the past, no negative self talk, and be present on who you are today.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    That making a mistake doesn't mean failure.
    That I am stronger than I thought.
    That I can actually lose weight and keep it off.
    That it isn't difficult to lose weight, though some times it can be hard.
    That there are some wonderful, amazing, supportive people out there.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Just don't stop believing.

Hold onto that feeling...!
  • RonFaj
    RonFaj Posts: 3
    Options
    1. That a simple task of just writing down what you eat would make you conscious of not letting that number turn to red.

2. At first you'll get hungry, get depressed by not eating the foods that you usually eat, but eventually your body adjusts and it gets a lot better after a week of doing it.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I have learned:

1. It's much easier to be successful when you have supportive friends.
    2. I feel terrific when I eat a healthy diet and exercise.
    3. I can reduce the risks of most diseases by prioritizing my health. Not just heart disease, stroke, and diabetes, but many types of cancer. How awesome is that??
    4. I have to watch my sodium everyday and keep it around 1500 mg/day. Boosting potassium really helps. Controlling sodium means keeping my blood pressure at normal levels and no pills.
    5. Maintenance is easier than I thought it would be.

6. The year I spent getting to my goal size was SO WORTH IT!