Unhappy but secure as 'old' selves

Options
“No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.” ~Unknown

....and just some thoughts on this today. We all have comfort foods and feel unhappy but safe as our 'old' selves and can fall back to these 'secure' zones because the future on this path can be scary as hell. My goal is to challenge myself throughout 2013 and break out of my 'secure' zone and I hope you will too.

Stepping out of your 'secure' zones is different for us all...it can be as simple as putting as your fork down and get up from the table or changing your favorite recipe to a healthier version. We can do this friends....Our dreams are too important to stay in our 'secure' zones.

Replies

• terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!!
    To become something you've never been, you have to do things you've never done!!
    Thanks for this post!
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I find that every time I step out of my comfort zone, great things happen!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm actually scared of becoming my old self again. That's when I knew I'd officially made the change from making excuses to making progress. Any time I binge even just a little bit, as in just 1/4 of my past binges, I feel sick and awful and bloated.

For me, it happened right around the 30 pound mark. The farther I get from my old weight, the more it's enforced. It's not that I'm denying myself anything; I just don't *want* it. It's nice. :) I feel free. I'm not a slave to food anymore. It's great.
  • MadCountyMama
    MadCountyMama Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well said! Just what I needed to hear this morning! Had a few off-days this week. Ready to refocus and realize I don't need food to make me happy!!
  • LaStefany
    LaStefany Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ah, this is great. Just what I needed! Thank you for sharing. (:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I've spent most of the last 15 months or so outside my comfort zones for a whole lot of things (beyond just food/exercise). What I've learned is that the more time you spend outside your comfort zone, the bigger your comfort zone becomes and eventually those once uncomfortable things feel just as safe as anything else. It's a long, hard road for some of us and for some of those things, but the rewards are vast.
  • gc2951
    gc2951 Posts: 30
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have had many years of trouble and used comfort food to "treat" myself trying to feel better. Now I have made the decision to do something about my weight and change the way I eat and deal with problems from now on. The thing is that lately I am eating below my calorie guidelines (as given by FB) and my clothes are getting loose (even went to a smaller size jeans) but the scale is no longer traveling downward. Maybe this is a plateau or maybe the fat is turning to muscle and that is okay. How long should I wait to start losing again before I change something?
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have had many years of trouble and used comfort food to "treat" myself trying to feel better. Now I have made the decision to do something about my weight and change the way I eat and deal with problems from now on. The thing is that lately I am eating below my calorie guidelines (as given by FB) and my clothes are getting loose (even went to a smaller size jeans) but the scale is no longer traveling downward. Maybe this is a plateau or maybe the fat is turning to muscle and that is okay. How long should I wait to start losing again before I change something?

I dont have a quick answer for you...but the scales are not the only measure of success. As you said 'clothes are getting loose', so you body is still changing and adapting to the changes you have done. Dont get discouraged by the scales not moving.
  • gc2951
    gc2951 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank you. I try not to slip backwards...always forward.
  • Nikkismission
    Nikkismission Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring.... and so well worth remembering when I feel like I feel today....Thank you :-)........ This really hits home
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Very wise. Thank you for sharing this.

Also liked the thought that @vitaminddd posted about how our comfort zones become bigger as we expand them.

I will carry both thoughts with me today.