Starvation mode?

Options
I have lost about 30 lbs in the two months. I typically lose 3 - 4 lbs a week. I eat about 1,000 - 1,200 calories a day. I'm wondering if I would lose more weight if I ate more calories? I also exercise 5 days a week (moderate paced walking).

Replies

• blondiecallie
    Options
    How did you lose so much weight? I'm dieing to drop ten or more pounds fast. I really would rather it be more than ten.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Most bodies need about 1200 calories per day to ensure they don't go into starvation mode. Try to get those calories in, and make sure you're exercising, and you should see the weight start to slip away. Keep in mind that HEALTHY weight loss is only about 1-2 pounds per week. If you're loosing more per week, congratulations, but know that it's not at all bad to lose less than that.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    people who are bigger tends to lose weight faster than a person who is a little over weight.

so typically its not bad for a person. :)

but to answer misslady question
    will you lose more weight if you ate a little more. i wouldnt know about that.
    for some people and some cases. cause everyone bodies are very different.
    for some people eating the amount that you are eating and exercising you lose weight.
    and for some others they have to eat some of their calories back from their work out to lose weight.
    it just depends on what it really shows or your measurement.

if it works for you to eat that way. then keep it up :)
    but once it starts to not show more progress. maybe you gotta think maybe you hit plateau and you gotta play with the calories and the work out routine :)

i hope that helps you :)
  • Killeen_bride2be
    Options
    I wish I could loose that much weight!!!! You are so lucky. I have only lost 2lbs in 2 weeks and I know that is healthy but since I need to loose 30lbs before July 30th I need to step it up, if I could loose 3-4lbs a week like you then I would be right on track. I know you said that you only walk and eat 1,000-1,200 cals a day but you must have a secret. What is it?
  • kooncea
    kooncea Posts: 2
    Options
    I really don't have a secret. I needed to lose about 80 lbs to be back in "healthy range". Just like on biggest loser... the more you have to lose, the faster the initial pounds come off. I think before I was eating about 2,500 calories a day. So I cut my calories in half and then some. And I never exercised before. The first 20 lbs feel off in 3 weeks. Then it started to slow down. This week I've maintained every day. Haven't lost at all and my routine hasn't changed. That's why I wondered about the starvation mode. I think I will bump my calories up a bit and see if that works for next week.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    unless you're very short (under 5 feet) 1000 calories a day is probably much too low. The line is set at 1200/day for adults so that your body won't starve and consume its own muscle mass to stay alive. the first 20 lbs does fly off really fast, but undereating is a surefire way to stall your progress. Bump it up to a sustainable level. Your body will thank you!
  • whitneykhowe
    Options
    Part of what your noticing in the "stand still" with the weight loss is an adjustment in your metabolism. While you were consuming 2500 cal/day, your body was used to consuming that much. When you cut your calorie intake, your metabolism did not adjust ini-initially, and you were expending way more calories than you were consuming. Your body has now adjusted to a lower calorie intake, and likely gotten used to the exercise you have added in, so it might be time for a change. Look to adjusting your calorie intake to 1200-1500, making sure that the additional calories are from very healthy foods - a snack of oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, etc. Also, consider adding in another day of exercise, a different form of exercise, or increasing the intensity of your exercise slightly.