How do you track calories from Juicing?

Options
We are going to start juicing, after watching fat, sick and nearly dead.

Initially we plan to just replace breakfast with juice (apple, celery, carrot, spinach mix). But I have NO idea how to track this!

Additionally we want to add a glass of juice with our lunch. Again, this all needs to be tracked. I haven't a clue. This isn't to boost weight loss at all so please don't judge. We just want to boost our micronutrients, and this seems to be a good thing to try.

Any one juice? Got recipes? Got caloric content? Thanks!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Log the weight or amount of everything that goes in the juicer before you mix it. Though there is a lot of criticism of the approach to nutrition from that movie.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Do you mean to log the total calories? That doesn't make sense b/c you must be loosing some of the cals, b/c some pulp gets left behind.

I know there is alot of differences of opinions on juicing. Just to reiterate- we see this like taking vitamins. Its not to replace meals, its not to boost weight loss. Its to boost nutrients.

I've seen people logging the total calories as if it were the whole fruit / veg, and I have seen people say don't bother logging at all. Thanks for your reply!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Log the whole fruits and veggies
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    Log the whole fruits and veggies

From what I can tell the only thing you aren't getting in juicing is the fiber. And fiber doesn't have a whole lot of calories, does it? Someone said to take the fiber content, x4, and subtract that. If its only going to be a 20-30 calorie difference, I will just log it as whole, rather than have to do math!

Any other thoughts?
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    http://www.jointhereboot.com/all-calories-are-not-created-equal/

frustrating website says allot but says nothing at the same time!
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It is awesome, I do it every so often and counted them as the individual veggies then created my own food to log easily. Fiber is out on it, and with a good juicer it should get the most from the greens.

The receipes on their website are great and there aren't a ton other ones out there.. I would caution though on beets as some people can't tolerate them well (my body does not like them). Apples and pears take the bite out and ginger is great to ensure your system doesn't reject the whole lot.

MY Mean green drink is:
    Spinach, Swiss Chard, Ginger, Celery, Cucumber, Apple - organic/pesticide free veggies make a big difference here

Orange dream:
    Sweet potato, carrots and cantalope. High sugar content.

Enjoy!
  • BecomingPremsar
    BecomingPremsar Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bump! Was wondering the same thing since it's juicing (or big veggie soup) season right now! lol
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    There are 4 calories per gram of fiber. You lose the fiber when you juice. Log the nutrients from each ingredient, multiply the # of fiber grams X 4, and subtract that number from the total calories. I made a spreadsheet so I can quickly adjust depending on what fruit & vegetables I juice at any given time.

You will get a lot of carbs & sugars (the good kind, but still a lot), so just be conscious. I mix my juice 1/2 & 1/2 with water to extend it.

My juicer does wheatgrass, too, which I grow about once a month.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth-- it's fresh fruits and veggies? Does it matter if I add TOTAL or subtract a bit? Maybe - maybe not. I do one or the other (the x4 method, but then I have to make a whole new recipe type entry with adjusted fiber content- because I am a bit persnickety like that)- so it's easier to just log the total minues 5% or take a extra 10 minute brisk walk and call it even. I dunno how much it really matters.
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    I like to eat my fruit so I think we will be doing ALL veggies, and also to avoid all the sugar.

Does any one have a recipe complete w/ calories they would like to share?

I am fond of tomatoes, carrots, parsely, celery, spinach, etc ...sort of like a V8. I love V8 but is really high in sodium so avoid it.

Ginger- I thought this was to make it tasty. Are you saying this is going to make me nautious?? We tried juicing once before and it was nasty! Hoping to do it better this time. Also. we are concerned about pesticides. Is it important to only juice organic veggies? B/C all that pesticides can't be good for you either.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I've found the calories for juice in the database. I juice every few weeks, especially if I'm feeling too acidic (I wake up craving salad).

I like to juice 1 cumber, 2 celery stalks, 1 cup of spinach (sometimes I add some carrot)

This is my favorite juice of all...It's call Sunshine Juice (however I altered it to my liking)

1 apple (honey crisp or fuji is best)
    1/2 red bell pepper
    1/2 orange bell pepper
    1/2 lemon (peeled)
    2 carrots
    1 cup of greens (any that you like)

I suggest you get Paul Nison's Raw Food Formula for Health; it's a great book and it's very inexpensive (I'm sorry calories are not mentioned in it thought)

Here are some other great sites for juicing and raw food:

http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/

Here's the recipe for your own V8 juice: quick, easy and yummy!

Ingredients

3 cups chopped tomatoes
    1 stalk celery (btw celery provides a salty flavor to salads & juice; when I made this I skipped the stevia and salt)
    1 cucumber
    3 drops stevia (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon himalaya sea salt
    pepper
    cayenne pepper

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/

http://www.rawfoodart.com/www.ShelleyAbegg.com/Raw_Food_Recipes_-_Raw_Food_Diet_-_Raw_Food_-_Raw_Food_Art_-_Home.html

http://www.therawfoodworld.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=0&keyword=+lucuma+powder&x=0&y=0

I'm not 100% raw; but I try to do ~ 75% raw daily
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the same thing....juicing in order to boost my micros. I went a couple of days wih only juice, but now I just replace one or two meals/snacks with my juice, and I feel great! You'll find a lot of people on here who call juicing a "fad" diet that is bad for you, but considering how great I feel (and my weight loss has remained steady) I know it's a healthy decision for me.

About the calories....If you go to the jointhereboot website, take a look at the plans on there. They give you many recipes for different juices, and I have found most of them in the MFP database. Otherwise, I just figure out the calories in all of the ingredients that I add to my juices and log them in my diary. Your macros won't be correct because you aren't consuming the whole fruits and veggies, but the calorie count should be close.

Good luck to you with your juicing!
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    Thank you!

YES the FSND movie's approach to nutrition seemed appealing to me at first, too until I learned that his weight loss was 70% fat and 30% muscle, I am not an expert but the 30% muscle seemed like something I'd like to avoid. I don't agree with dieting period. Any thing that tells you to avoid this, eat this- I don't subscribe to.

I have been reading about how eating allot of different colored foods was good for your complexion- and that's my main reason to add some of my calories in as juice. I have horrible skin. I am 38 and always breaking out. I have issues with auto immune arthritis and inflammation- so I thought getting some concentrated nutrients might help with my skin and joints. And, I don't see how it can hurt in the least. And I am under a Dr's care and a rheumatologist care, who are encouraging me to loose weight. If juicing can make my diet healthier, why not!

The movie, though, was very inspirational. Especially the truck driver. I was near tears with pride for him at how he had changed his life- his career- working at the Y! Starting a juice bar, helping his brother. Amazing.
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    Some fibers of those fibers are indigestible. Meaning they don't digest.

I think it's kind of anal to try to figure that out. I mean how many calories could their be? 25, 50? It's like logging gum and tic-tacs.

If you really want to do it.... you juice one thing at a time. Weigh the juice after each fruit/vegetable. So if you juice 454g of apples. You have a 150g of juice from those 454g of apples. I'd just log 150g worth of apples.

exactly, I don't want to get anal and obsessed! I just want to make a concoction, stick to that recipe, and be able to count the calories. I worry that logging it incorrectly will shift my weight loss. Right now I seem to have found the right balance of calories and activity that makes me loose. I don't want to mess that up, so it is critical for me to know how many calories I am eating. But if its only a few calories difference, I figure just log the whole thing.
  • jmc216
    jmc216 Posts: 1
    Options
    How does sweet potato taste? Im new to juicing and looking to hear what people really like mixing together.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

YES the FSND movie's approach to nutrition seemed appealing to me at first, too until I learned that his weight loss was 70% fat and 30% muscle, I am not an expert but the 30% muscle seemed like something I'd like to avoid. I don't agree with dieting period. Any thing that tells you to avoid this, eat this- I don't subscribe to.

I have been reading about how eating allot of different colored foods was good for your complexion- and that's my main reason to add some of my calories in as juice. I have horrible skin. I am 38 and always breaking out. I have issues with auto immune arthritis and inflammation- so I thought getting some concentrated nutrients might help with my skin and joints. And, I don't see how it can hurt in the least. And I am under a Dr's care and a rheumatologist care, who are encouraging me to loose weight. If juicing can make my diet healthier, why not!

The movie, though, was very inspirational. Especially the truck driver. I was near tears with pride for him at how he had changed his life- his career- working at the Y! Starting a juice bar, helping his brother. Amazing.

70/30 is actually a really good ratio FYI
  • Sproutlady135
    Options
    I juice veggies every morning and avoid fruit. I will add a beet or carrot for sweetness. I am unable to find anything credible for determining the caloric intake. Therefore, I log 100 calories for one cup and 200 calories for two cups. It is not scientific, just a guess. I am also growing and eating microgreens such as sunflower, sweet pea. I also grow wheatgrass. I also sprout adzuki, mung, lentil beans. I studied raw food diet at Hippocrates Health Institute for 3 weeks. Give me a shout if you want to be pals and support,educate and share recipes.
    Sproutlady135
  • Sproutlady135
    Options
    Go to the link below to see Dr. Oz green drink recipe. I believe he puts his veggies in a vitamix . Therefore, his values will include the fiber. Here is a little clip:

Vegetable & Herb Nutrition

The vegetables and herbs in the Green Drink provide approximately: 98 calories, 8 g of protein, 10 g of fiber, 135 mg of vitamin C, 285 mg of calcium, 380 mcg of folate, 1720 mg of potassium, 170 mg of phosphorus and 160 mg of magnesium. There is also around 200 percent of the daily value for vitamin A based on a 2,000 calorie diet. These values assume the cucumbers have the skin intact, one head of celery equals one medium stalk and one bunch of parsley equals one cup.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/504683-nutritional-value-of-dr-ozs-green-drink/#ixzz2JCgpjEw1
  • Chuffmn
    Chuffmn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
  • ANGIE181062
    ANGIE181062 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do you mean to log the total calories? That doesn't make sense b/c you must be loosing some of the cals, b/c some pulp gets left behind.

I know there is alot of differences of opinions on juicing. Just to reiterate- we see this like taking vitamins. Its not to replace meals, its not to boost weight loss. Its to boost nutrients.

I've seen people logging the total calories as if it were the whole fruit / veg, and I have seen people say don't bother logging at all. Thanks for your reply!

If you log all the calories that will be correct as you weigh an orange for instance at 100g but you don't eat the skin hope that helps x