Coconut oil a myth?

Options

Replies

• Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    If you can fit it into your macros, why not try it, right ? I love it, I put it on my english muffin in the morning, somes shake a dash of cinnimon on top, but its really good plain, too. Good as a lotion for dry skin this time of year, as well as deep conditioner for hair ! Oh, and lip gloss, make up remover, love the stuff !
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i put a teaspoon in my mouth and swish it around like mouthwash for 15-20 minutes. your breath is fresh and it has detox benefits. sometimes i just eat it out the jar. dericious
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    i put a teaspoon in my mouth and swish it around like mouthwash for 15-20 minutes. your breath is fresh and it has detox benefits. sometimes i just eat it out the jar. dericious

I saw something about this on Dr.Oz last month, its called Oil Pulling & when I did some research it appears to have a lot of benefits. I tried it but had a hard time keeping my mouth shut for that long (no surprise there lol). Perhaps I'll give it another try and start out for shorter periods of time & work my way up.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Here's a dumb question. Does it taste strongly of coconut haha? I don't mind the taste but my boyfriend hates it. If I were to use it in cooking, would he notice?
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Its very light, I don't notice it much at all. but I like coconut.
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Here's a dumb question. Does it taste strongly of coconut haha? I don't mind the taste but my boyfriend hates it. If I were to use it in cooking, would he notice?

We notice the coconut flavor when making pancakes but when it's cooked into larger meals (ie stir fry) we can't pick it out...
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The coconut oil I looked at yesterday was solid?
    Do you just spoon it into the hot pan or what?
    Only used olive oil and butter before, and only just starting to use any fats in my cooking.
    It was very expensive and about 900 calories per 100g.

Yes, it's fairly solid at room temperature but will melt around 76 to 90 degree depending on the type.
    It does have a slightly sweet flavor and IMO is best for dishes where that is a benefit, I.e. curries, pecan crusted halibut, or sweet potato pancakes. Personally, I can't stand it for eggs or most stir fry. I'd definitely prefer olive oil for most savory dishes. It's also not bad in coffee in place of creamer.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I don't like coconut either but I can't pick it out when we cook with it. Honestly it has more of a buttery taste/feel.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as coconut oil. Coconuts produce milk. The oil thing is a total myth. It's usually High Fructose Canola oil that they try to pass off as coconut oil. In ancient times coconuts were the size of grapes and produced oil. But as far as present day, total myth.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as coconut oil. Coconuts produce milk. The oil thing is a total myth. It's usually High Fructose Canola oil that they try to pass off as coconut oil. In ancient times coconuts were the size of grapes and produced oil. But as far as present day, total myth.

its probably really hard to market "high fructose canola oil."
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i like rubbing it on...oh never mind.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options

huh? coconut definitely has oil (fat) in it that can be extracted out... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    actually... this is a myth.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

everybody's different. do what works for you
  • makemyselfpr0ud
    Options
    Bump!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

cute.

for the record. coconuts don't "produce" milk. coconuts have a fleshy inside, that's filled with coconut WATER. Coconut milk is made by blending and combining the flesh with the water. the oil is simply extracted from the flesh.

coconut oil is a real thing

unless you were just trolling, in which case... good for you?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

NO! It's real! Every year, on the first day of summer,, coconut oil oozes down our chimneys and leaves Bounty Bars for good children.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I don't swear by it. But I do know that when I started going to a high fat diet consisting of coconut oil I began to finally lose bodyfat %. I think there is something to it.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I use it for my hair & skin... Think I'm going to try cooking with it this week. I read somewhere that there's something in it that actually makes you metabolize fat more efficiently. ( I could be wrong.) but I'm curious enough to find out
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It's really good to oil the length of hair before washing it.

My daughter is so violently allergic to coconut oil that I've never used it in cooking. Even now that she lives apart from us, I don't use it. Who knows when she might stop in and want a bite of whatever I've prepared.