I'm about to lose my damn mind!

Options
If I haven't lost it already...

I have no idea how to measure meats.. I went to Albertson's and bought a package of 6 "Pork Loin Top Loin Chops"
When I searched for the calories on them, it said 60 calories in 1 oz.. 1 oz?
Idk how to weigh it to 1 oz, 2 oz, 3 oz, 4 oz, 5 oz, so on, etc. etc. So forth..
Is 1 oz one pork chop? 'Tis Confusion!
I don't have ambitions to be a marijuana dealer, so pre-diet I didn't find a weight measurement tool a necessary item for my every day life.
When it comes to my calorie diet, I refuse to eat something unless I know exactly how much it's going to be.

Call me crazy, but it would be old news to me, my good friend.

Replies

• jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Go to Target.
    Buy a food scale.
    For $30, you can have your mind back!

ETA: for meat, a piece the size of a deck of cards is roughly a 3 oz serving. Now, if it's thicker than a deck of cards, then you have to extrapolate... and that may cause more mind losing!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You can purchase a food scale... and if you are unable to do that, they say 3oz is about the size of a deck of cards. Also if it is nuts. they say a small palm size is close to 1oz.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    1 "serving" of pork is 3oz cooked... which is usually about 1/2 the pork chop (depending on the butcher). But, you really do need a scale.
  • jenj1313
    Options
    Just get a food scale. I use mine everyday.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    For $25 you can get your mind back and never guess again - buy one:

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B001N0D7GA
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know what something weighs you need a food scale. I have one that weighs in ounces or in grams. Bought it at walmart. It was a Biggest Loser one. When I bought it, was under $20.
  • Carpediem117
    Options
    what store or site can get a food scale?
  • kirstencorren
    kirstencorren Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I don't have ambitions to be a marijuana dealer, so pre-diet I didn't find a weight measurement tool a necessary item for my every day life.

I swear to you I have had this EXACT same thought cross my mind!!!!:laugh:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Pork chops are generally sold 2-3 to a pound. That means they're between 6 and 8 ounces.

I got a really cheap one at the grocery store for $9. You can get them on Amazon as well, so if you want to start getting very accurate with your food, then get a digital one.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I got a pretty good one for relatively cheap at Wal Mart.
  • akilahleemarie
    akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i justy got a $20 food scake from bath bed and beyond..thats what you need
  • tracysharpmack
    tracysharpmack Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I bought a great food scale at aldis for only $9.99 and I love it
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    You can purchase a food scale... and if you are unable to do that, they say 3oz is about the size of a deck of cards. Also if it is nuts. they say a small palm size is close to 1oz.

Emerald has a variety of "100 calorie pack" nuts. A box comes with seven packets. When I pulled out the packet and looked at it, I thought it was a sick joke, and the thing couldn't possibly have more then 3 nuts in it! Once I poured it out into my salad, I was happily surprised. You actually get quite a few. I eat the h*ll out of the raw walnut/almond mix!
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    second the walmart one. Cheap and effective....but also got the Biggest Loser one at Bed, Bath, and Beyond (in the Beyond) for $19.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Food scale for $20 at target. It weighs in grams, or ounces at the click of a button. You are using a computer , so you should be able to get the hang of it. A serving of meat (3-4oz) is the size of a deck of cards. Once you get the hang of it it becomes second nature to weigh. My scale stays next to the stove and NOTHING goes on my plate before being weighed. I have been known to take it on vacation with me (I guess I'm a little compulsive in this area)

7 walnut halves equal about 100 calories
  • PrimalSiren
    Options
    I just bought a food scale on amazon for $15. It works great and measures in oz, lbs, grams.
  • douglasbeale
    douglasbeale Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't use a scale.

Usually, everything you buy will have a weight on it. So if you have the total weight of all items, than you could divide it by the number of pcs in the package.

You may also need to convert pounds to ounces...16 ounces = pound.

So if the package weighed 1 pound: 16oz divided by 6pcs would be 2.6 oz each.
  • jenj1313
    Options
    what store or site can get a food scale?

read the 5 posts above yours

or below
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I had a food scale pre-diet... I use it for knitting. Figuring out how many ounces a partial item weights and how many skeins I need to buy to finish it.
    I never knew math was so integral to daily living. Sigh.
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,901 Member
    Options
    seems like we all agree, get a scale. And get a good one. You can even get digital ones now. Mid to high line cost wise. Even Macy' s carries them.