Shirataki Noodles, yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Edible =/= food.
    It's not like they are some chemically synthesized lab grown substance. It's the ground up root of a plant. While they have little to no nutritional value neither does celery and nobody thinks that's weird.

So what you are saying is it's factory processed? Lawn grass is a natural plant, would you eat that? Unbleached toilet paper is plant fibre, that is edible according to too many with eating disorders, would you eat that?

A 100g serving of celery contains useful amounts of vitamin K, vitamin A, folate and potassium but like most produce is primarily water; as a pale coloured vegetable most authorities would not encourage anyone to eat large amounts of it but rather concentrate on the dark and brightly coloured stuff.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    So what you are saying is it's factory processed?
    Yup
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I prefer the nutrition profile of shredded pizza boxes.
  • rdcory
    rdcory Posts: 7
    Options
    I like them...tried them in a stir fry and they were very good. Make sure to buy at a Chinese food store though as they are less expensive than the Miracle Noodle brand.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I like them but they remind me of rice noodles. They aren't for everyone taste wise. They are a great conveyor of sauce though. :D Enjoy!
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    They are an awesome substitute for other noodles that are carb-heavy if you know how to cook.

To someone's earlier comment about them being factory-processed - yes, they are. Unless you're buying and making handmade noodles for every meal, it's factory-made.
  • genericaroar
    genericaroar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am contemplating getting these so I can add noodles to my meals again.

If you have tried them let me know what you think about them. Are they good or gross?

I don;t have time right now to read all these responses but wanted to say how much I LOVE Shirataki noodles! They do stink and the texture can be funny if you cook them wrong. Rinse like hell when you open them and dry fry in a pan until the squeak when you push them around...it will probably take longer than you'd expect. They will soak up so much more flavor this way. If you have an Asian market near you, look for the traditional yam noodles. Much better than the shirataki noodles you find at most regular grocery stores but I still love those too!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    NAY! Pretty gross - took me years to be willing to try them. Won't be doing it again.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love 'em too. I dry fry them in a pan and then add other stuff to them. :)
  • genericaroar
    genericaroar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am contemplating getting these so I can add noodles to my meals again.

If you have tried them let me know what you think about them. Are they good or gross?

I don;t have time right now to read all these responses but wanted to say how much I LOVE Shirataki noodles! They do stink and the texture can be funny if you cook them wrong. Rinse like hell when you open them and dry fry in a pan until the squeak when you push them around...it will probably take longer than you'd expect. They will soak up so much more flavor this way. If you have an Asian market near you, look for the traditional yam noodles. Much better than the shirataki noodles you find at most regular grocery stores but I still love those too!
    They're really excellent if you have blood sugar issues. I had gestational diabetes and that's how I got introduced to these.
  • sheilsun
    Options
    I really like Miracle Noodle and like Shining_Light's entry, I also sometimes fry them and add my favorite sauces..also great in soups..right now they are having a 13% sales off all their products if you order online www.miraclenoodle.com..Australia Day celebration you have to use a code aus13 to get the discount.. also found some quick, easy recipes on their facebook page so allows me to have my pasta even though I am watching carbs and calories.
  • 1capegirl
    1capegirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have tried them, but they are pricey. I have also tried to make them myself, without success. I can't get the consistency right. Anyone else try this?
  • kitoi
    kitoi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you don't like shirataki try kelp noodles. Better consistency, no off putting flavor or smell once rinsed prior to cooking. Here's a couple of dishes I've made with them.

Chicken longrice
    6003406921_715458f88b.jpg
    chicken.longrice by ktvamp, on Flickr

Pansit
    6266542802_79bbe89e4f.jpg
    Pancit made with kelp noodles by ktvamp, on Flickr
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    I wasn't a fan when I tried these.I just stick to my whole wheat pasta instead.
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    (I just purchased some tonight since they were on sale. Gonna try to make a mac n cheese type thing with them. We'll see how it goes!)
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Nay. They're absolutely disgusting and have no nutritional value at all. The only thing they do is make you feel like you're eating something that you're not (pasta) and tricking you into thinking you're eating more than you actually are. Really, whole wheat pasta is full of fiber and has more nutrients than nasty shirataki noodles. I know that pasta can be a *scary* thing sometimes, but I'd rather eat the real deal or just not eat it at all.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    We really like them. They do NOT (IMHO, anyway) do well with Italian sauces like marinara -- I'd rather eat whole grain noodles for those type dishes. They do well with alfredo and creamy sauces, and in stir-fries. We substitute them for the regular noodles in this recipe all the time: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2012/08/spicy-noodles-204-recipe-102-serving.html

The smell when they come out of the bag is off-putting. You will need to rinse them well to get rid of that. But a few minutes under cold water really does help.

They aren't a cure all -- we still eat limited amounts of whole grain or quinoa pasta in many applications -- but they are another way to get some good protein and make a healthier substitution.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Edible =/= food.
    It's not like they are some chemically synthesized lab grown substance. It's the ground up root of a plant. While they have little to no nutritional value neither does celery and nobody thinks that's weird.

Actually, celery is quite nutrient dense. It has a good amount of fiber, vitamin K, vitamin C, folate, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Shirataki noodles are just gross.
  • Tanyastern
    Tanyastern Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I Love them! Just rinse them off really well to get rid of the odor. They are a great source of fiber. You can buy the same thing in pill form at any Health Food store called glucomannan,usually in the weight loss section. They are also called Konjac root. I love them with spray butter, lemon and Shrimp. My latest thing is adding organic Chicken broth to them for Chicken Noodle Soup...yummy. A Godsend since I am on HCG and they have no calories!
  • judiiiiindisguise
    judiiiiindisguise Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I tried them and tried to like them but I don't like them...have two bags in the refrigerator just sittin there..i might as well toss them tomorrow. I have a spaghetti squash to cook and would rather that for noodle replacement or cauliflower...I really wanted to like them, but NOT for me....