Treadmill phobia

Options
Okay I am not scared of the treadmill I actually really like it however I am getting ready for a little bit more of a challenge. I want to start to run on it but I am a little bit of a chicken. I have never been very athletic or graceful and I am scared of falling off in front of everyone at the gym. Anyone have any ideas how to get over this phobia?

Thanks

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Check into the couch 2 5k program. It helps get you started with running on a treadmill. I had the same phobia and I am currently on week 7.I love running now!
  • sdraughan
    sdraughan Posts: 6
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k program too. I loved it and I have been running four miles a day for a while now but here is the thing. Treadmill running is real different from running on the road or trail. I use my treadmill when it is cold or rainy. On my treadmill I can set the speeds. Just choose a speed that is comfortable for walking and slowly increase it until you are running at a comfortable pace. I have programs on my treadmill. When I choose the program, the top speed shows on the display before it starts. I don't run very fast and my treadmill program kicks it up to 6.5 mph. Does not sound like much but I was definitely hanging on.

Trivia: In my direction manual for the treadmill it stated that running longer at lower speeds burns more fat and running fast for short bursts (3 minutes is a short burst but on that treadmill it is an eternity) builds better cardio/heart strength.

Good Luck and Hang On!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K on the TM. Don't be afraid of zipping off-- that's what the handles are for! Grab on if you need to. TMs are great for having plenty of surface space to hold on to at any given time. If it makes you feel any better, I'm probably one of the clutzier people in the universe. I used to ride my bike into parked cars as a kid, and even the side of a house, LOL. I walk in to walls, drop things practically on command, and trip over my own feet. I run on a TM, no problem :)
    If you ever want a real giggle, you should see me on the TM when I'm tired. I'm AAAAALLL over that belt. If you've ever seen the newer movie Seabiscuit, you may remember the scene. "Is he fast?" "Yup... in every direction!"