I'm always hungry in the evening

Options
2»

Replies

• denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    First of all, I think we all are different and have to find what works for us.

That being said, if I don't eat three times before noon... I am starving ALL day and ALL night.

I don't like to eat in the evening as I have found that it affects my sleep and I just don't feel as well.

Now I wake up in the morning hungry, eat a big breakfast, two snacks, plus lunch. I sometimes have one small afternoon snack and a light dinner and it works for me. Sometimes I feel like I'm munching all morning at work... but have found that I feel so much better now that I have found a natural rhythm that works for me.

Just thought I would suggest that as you don't look like you eat breakfast very often.

Experiment. Find what works for you. :)
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've always had more of an appetite in the evening & can't go to sleep if I'm hungry. There's nothing wrong with that. Just plan your calories appropriately throughout the day to allow for it. It doesn't make a difference what time you eat. I'll usually have some yogurt or toast before I go to bed & that's less than 180 calories.
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I can take a look at the intake if you want to chat in more detail about it.

Fruit is sugar. And before ppl reply saying fruit is natural, etc, etc, I know it is. But it still contains fructose.

In a nutshell:

During the day, your body spends its time converting the foods you eat into usable fuel sources. Carbs get stored as glycogen in your muscles' "bank accounts", until that glycogen is called upon to be broken down and converted into energy. Once those bank accounts are full, where are the carbs going to go?

Well, if you went to the gym, you'd burn them off, because the body's first go-to source of energy (and most easily broken-down) is carbs.

But what if it's 10pm and you're going to sleep? Anything that can't be used is stored as fat. And fructose, aka your fruit, is the carb most easily converted into fat molecules. So naturally, that's what would happen to your fruit while you snooze.

Again, I haven't looked at your intake, your size, or your goals, so I'm not one to tell a person to fear apples and bananas after dinner. But if you're overweight, and/or trying to lean out, you'd probably be avoiding fruit in the evening.
  • Lammerchops
    Options
    You can see my food diary at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/VR82 the items where calories are just added are items I couldn't find, so I just looked on the packet.

I just reviewed your intake for today. Did you skip breakfast?!
  • jwaters1006
    jwaters1006 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat breakfast I'm starving all night. It's not a pretty sight. I have a hard time eating breakfast most days because mybody is used to not eating until lunch and eating all night. Now I try and pre-log my food. If I don't eat all I planned for breakfast, I save it and it it later. I also save calories for those nights I just need to have a snack.
  • VR82
    VR82 Posts: 19
    Options
    I can take a look at the intake if you want to chat in more detail about it.

Fruit is sugar. And before ppl reply saying fruit is natural, etc, etc, I know it is. But it still contains fructose.

In a nutshell:

During the day, your body spends its time converting the foods you eat into usable fuel sources. Carbs get stored as glycogen in your muscles' "bank accounts", until that glycogen is called upon to be broken down and converted into energy. Once those bank accounts are full, where are the carbs going to go?

Well, if you went to the gym, you'd burn them off, because the body's first go-to source of energy (and most easily broken-down) is carbs.

But what if it's 10pm and you're going to sleep? Anything that can't be used is stored as fat. And fructose, aka your fruit, is the carb most easily converted into fat molecules. So naturally, that's what would happen to your fruit while you snooze.

Again, I haven't looked at your intake, your size, or your goals, so I'm not one to tell a person to fear apples and bananas after dinner. But if you're overweight, and/or trying to lean out, you'd probably be avoiding fruit in the evening.

I do workout out regulary 3-4 times a week on average (about 1 hr) on top of walking to and from work 3 days a week. I'm not overweight by any means but wouldn't mind losing a couple pounds, which I find difficult. I'm 180cm tall and weigh 65kg. It would be great if you could give me any advice. You can look at my food diary http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/VR82.

I may rethink fruit in the evening now but I always thought it was a healthy snack.
  • VR82
    Options
    You can see my food diary at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/VR82 the items where calories are just added are items I couldn't find, so I just looked on the packet.

I just reviewed your intake for today. Did you skip breakfast?!

Sometimes if I get up later when I don't have work till later, I'll workout when I get up and by the I shower etc, it's close to lunch time so I log it as lunch.
  • Lammerchops
    Options
    I do workout out regulary 3-4 times a week on average (about 1 hr) on top of walking to and from work 3 days a week. I'm not overweight by any means but wouldn't mind losing a couple pounds, which I find difficult. I'm 180cm tall and weigh 65kg. It would be great if you could give me any advice. You can look at my food diary http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/VR82.

I may rethink fruit in the evening now but I always thought it was a healthy snack.

It IS a healthy snack. Don't get the wrong idea. But your body's a sophisticated machine, and we can go beyond the "apple good, Big Mac bad" obvious theories and delve into the fascinating world of combinations of healthy foods, the time of day they're consumed, the requirement to eat 1-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight, an individual's weight loss response (or lack thereof) to dairy, etc, etc.

I don't mean to get too nitpicky about diet/nutrition, but these types of details become even more important for an active person who's already in a healthy weight range. Your weight and body composition would change if you played with these factors.

But before all of that, it would change if you ate 100% clean. Have you considered totally cleaning up your diet for 3 weeks? (And by clean, I mean no alcohol, no useless garbage carbs, no high-fat cuts of meat, no sugar, etc?)
  • VR82
    Options

It IS a healthy snack. Don't get the wrong idea. But your body's a sophisticated machine, and we can go beyond the "apple good, Big Mac bad" obvious theories and delve into the fascinating world of combinations of healthy foods, the time of day they're consumed, the requirement to eat 1-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight, an individual's weight loss response (or lack thereof) to dairy, etc, etc.

I don't mean to get too nitpicky about diet/nutrition, but these types of details become even more important for an active person who's already in a healthy weight range. Your weight and body composition would change if you played with these factors.

But before all of that, it would change if you ate 100% clean. Have you considered totally cleaning up your diet for 3 weeks? (And by clean, I mean no alcohol, no useless garbage carbs, no high-fat cuts of meat, no sugar, etc?)

I'm not going to lie, I really don't see myself doing a clean. Thanks for your advice and taking the time to have a look at my diary :)
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    What time do you eat dinner? If you eat at 6 and don't go to bed until 12, it's not surprising that you get hungry in the evening. Options include having a later dinner, saving more of your calories from the day for a bigger dinner, saving some calories for a healthy after-dinner snack, increasing your exercise to earn more calories for the evening, or making do with water and the knowledge that it is not too long until bed-time.

I often eat at 8 or 9 pm, and no that won't reduce your weight loss as long as your overall intake is balanced. I also tend to have up to half my total daily calories at dinner-time. There is some recent evidence that including as 12-15 hour "fast" in each day can help you lose weight, but that can be achieved equally by an early dinner or a late breakfast (despite popular wisdom, no breakfast is also okay as long as you don't end up having unhealthy morning snacks instead).
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options

At your height and weight, you are almost at your minimum healthy weight. If some of that is muscle from working out, you are probably on the skinny side. Why not shift to a weight maintenance goal and allow youself a few more calories?
  • cardiophile
    Options
    It's normal. There's just something about the 11:00 pm- 1:00 am time block that can throw your whole goal out the window. I've been told that being tired is the biggest culprit. You probably go to sleep an hour or two after your late night snack.

I used to go so far as to taking an antihistamine to make myself go to sleep before the munchie hours, but I love staying up later. For the most part, I will save 200 or so calories for this time of night and also make myself non-caffeinated teas with artificial sweeteners to quell the hunger.
  • VR82
    Options

At your height and weight, you are almost at your minimum healthy weight. If some of that is muscle from working out, you are probably on the skinny side. Why not shift to a weight maintenance goal and allow youself a few more calories?

I am at an ideal weight, but do not want to gain any weight, I do light weights and I'm trying to focus on toning but I do want to get the maximum calorie burn from my workouts. I guess I just feel that a few extra pounds would make me happy.

In regards to you comment about increasing my calories, I tend to save them for the weekend when I tend to have a few drinks. Yes I am one of those binge drinkers, ha.
  • Demolady50
    Options
    Make sure you re eating enough protein for dinner. I'm always hungry if I don't.
  • VR82
    Options
    Make sure you re eating enough protein for dinner. I'm always hungry if I don't.

There are many days where I've gone over the suggested protein intake and still have been hungry.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It appears you're not eating breakfast nor spreading your food out through the day.

Maybe if you eat a good breakfast and follow it up with a snack a couple hours later and then spread your food throughout the rest of the day while saving 100 calories or so for an evening snack you wouldn't be so hungry in the evenings.

Just a suggestion.