7 MONTHS - PALEO DIET - Slightly NSFW (underwear pics)

Options

Replies

• PrimalSiren
    Options
    You look fantastic!!!

I tried Paleo in the past, but I missed so many foods that are off the list (dairy, wine, grains..etc.)
    I still eat lots of good fats, pastured meats, veggies, fruits and I am happy.

I think Paleo is excellent, but not for everyone.

I went to Mark Sisson's primal rather than paleo and found it much easier. I still eat dairy and have a glass of wine every night! Also try the perfect health diet, it's a great way to start heading in the primal direction if you're not fully ready to make the jump.
  • PrimalSiren
    Options
    Congrats on your success, however it is BS to say Paleo is all you need. I've seen results like yours by eating a balanced diet with heavy lifting, so I know I can eat what I like without being restrictive and get the results. Paleo is a way, not THE way.
    It's obviously not the only way to lose weight, but I would much rather change my diet than spend hours in the gym trying to burn off all the extra carbs. Not to mention have to deal with the inflammation and fatigue that grains cause. Paleo isn't just for weight loss, for me and many others it cleared up health issues like hypothyroid symptoms, acne, joint pain, and many others.
  • ladyfingers73
    ladyfingers73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just started Paleo 4 days ago. I am so glad you have had good results!! Congrats! Can you add me? Would love to see your diary :)
  • foxggren
    foxggren Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I encourage everyone who's considering to give it a shot - even just for a month.

And kudos to everyone who is doing it!!

lol @paulywoo - they are a very good (and adorable) support team!

@dreamerlove and Happyme2009 - I would say in the beginning try to be as strict as you can for the full benefit and results. I still enjoy "cheat" meals/treats in moderation. There is something to be said about being able to enjoy your life and not stress over splurging every now and then. But trying to be disciplined in the beginning is good because it will prove to yourself you can do it and how good it feels. You won't fall completely off the wagon with a cheat meal down the road.

@ubermensch13 - I understand what you are saying. But I think Paleo/primal is the best way. It's the simplest, most logical, most natural solution. It will make you healthier both physically on the outside, and mentally. Eliminating grains means getting rid of the physiological dependency. Grains wreak havoc on our bodies and literally have addictive properties like a drug. That's why people have such a hard time giving them up "I just love bread!" "I'm addicted to pasta!"

@PrimalSiren - I'm with you 100% of the way - I love marksdailyapple.com!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success, however it is BS to say Paleo is all you need. I've seen results like yours by eating a balanced diet with heavy lifting, so I know I can eat what I like without being restrictive and get the results. Paleo is a way, not THE way.
    It's obviously not the only way to lose weight, but I would much rather change my diet than spend hours in the gym trying to burn off all the extra carbs. Not to mention have to deal with the inflammation and fatigue that grains cause. Paleo isn't just for weight loss, for me and many others it cleared up health issues like hypothyroid symptoms, acne, joint pain, and many others.

Obviously, if grains cause you health problems, fine. Many people do not have those allergies or symptoms, like myself, so restrictive diets make no sense. I don't spend hours at a gym, i spend 45 min a weight lifting session, no cardio, eat 2200 cals of a well balanced diet and look like I'm 10 years younger.
  • foxggren
    Options
    Grains cause health problems without you knowing. They cause insulin spikes and inflammation, which doesn't usually manifest itself as a problem right away, but after many years takes a toll on your body. There is a school of thought that human disease coincides with the rise of agriculture and farming...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-agriculture-ruined-your-health-and-what-to-do-about-it/
  • susan_skipper
    Options
    @gabriellegree, what would be your typical breakfast on this diet?
  • foxggren
    Options
    I'm not a big breakfast person - but I always have coffee.

If I'm not super hungry in the morning I will usually only eat a banana and graze on nuts until lunchtime.

If I do want a satisfying breakfast I will make eggs with whatever vegetables I have in the house (onions, zucchini, peppers all work well) and some Applegate (no nitrate) turkey bacon. And if I'm feeling really adventurous, I'll throw some avocado on top!

It's weird at first having eggs with no toast, but if you throw enough meat and veggies in there, you never miss it!

541242_10151438700042646_442159878_n.jpg
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am giving serious consideration to cutting back on grains ect. We eat way too much bread in my house anyway. I have been nursing achilles tendonitis for several months and have not been working out as much since it seems like every exercise I do no matter how low impact irritates my achilles tendon. I really want to start working out again and I want to do it at home when I can. I hit another plateau months ago and this may be just what I need to lose the last 28 pounds.
  • byeachmoment
    Options
    Grains cause health problems without you knowing. They cause insulin spikes and inflammation, which doesn't usually manifest itself as a problem right away, but after many years takes a toll on your body. There is a school of thought that human disease coincides with the rise of agriculture and farming...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-agriculture-ruined-your-health-and-what-to-do-about-it/

This may be true for some people, but what you eat doesn't always equal great health. Of course, it's important to eat healthy which can be done by eating what you want in moderation but there are other factors that affect health such as genetics, physical activity, and environment. There may be a group of people that are greatly affected by the effects of grains but it could also not affect some others. You can't really lump everyone into one category...
  • PrimalSiren
    Options

This may be true for some people, but what you eat doesn't always equal great health. Of course, it's important to eat healthy which can be done by eating what you want in moderation but there are other factors that affect health such as genetics, physical activity, and environment. There may be a group of people that are greatly affected by the effects of grains but it could also not affect some others. You can't really lump everyone into one category...

I disagree, read the perfect health diet and anti-cancer. Both of those books opened my eyes to how what we eat directly affects our health. You can read about gene expression here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/epigenetics/#axzz2JF52ywM7 also doing a search on his site brings up a lot of great info.
  • byeachmoment
    Options

I disagree, read the perfect health diet and anti-cancer. Both of those books opened my eyes to how what we eat directly affects our health.

I'm not trying to be rude but who wrote these books? Is the information based off opinion or decades of research? These books might be helpful in some ways, and may have a lot of truths but there are a lot of books out there that can attempt to convince you about basically anything. I do think that eating right does affect your health but there are many other factors based on studies that have been done for decades. You should check the studies that were done about the people who live over 100. Not one of them that I've read about was on a Paleo diet. They were however relaxed, optimistic, active, sociable, and had a strong genetic background.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    different strokes for different folks
  • niceguywi
    Options
    I've lost and maintained 60+lbs of weight loss over the last 2 years and am looking to ton up and shed the last 20+ lbs. I use whey protein as a supplement in a lot of my meals.. can you use that on the Paleo/primal "diet" Diet in quotations because I don't diet anymore.... i just consider it eating healthy.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I see no pics :cry:
    Butcongrats on your success! :drinker:
    You lost the same amount I've been desperately trying to lose, so I may try this!
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I see no pics :(

I am interested to try Paleo.I am a recovering vegan/vegetarian.I had to start eating meat again for health reasons(long story)
    What does a typical day look like on this?What kinds of foods can be substituted for bread and grains?I eat veggies and love it.
    Are the carbs derived only from fruits and vegetables?My bestfriend has celiac disease so she can't eat bread and pasta,unless it's gluten free and she finds it easy.

Where can i find more information on this?
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    This paleo thing is quite interesting, does this mess up your fats macros ? With all the extra nuts and that. Is there a website with more info anywhere.

Oh and btw Awesome job you should be proud.

Might send a friends request so can check diary and learn a bit more :)
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Could not live without milk and yoghurt. I'd be sad and my bones even sadder.
  • squinz
    squinz Posts: 136
    Options
    Fantastic results.

I couldn't work with that plan though. I really think it would be forever being on a 'diet'. How do you work round being on holiday/going for meals/eating at a friends/eating on the go?

Well done on your success though.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!