Eye roll-Calories burned calcs for any activity

Options
2»

Replies

• DavidKBrewer
    Options
    .... and sex has to be logged as golf. True story.
    Oh! So that's how Tiger Woods got into trouble...

Ohhhhh snap!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I log the calories I burn rolling my eyes.

I log the calories I burn jumping to conclusions...as well as weighing my options.
  • mystic36
    mystic36 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I count cleaning because doing a heavy duty deep clean is part of my job and is quite a workout.

I have to agree with this because i do this for a living. The work i do can burn up to 2100-3000 calories or more depending on if i make it out to be more of a work out like power walking.
  • Domestic_Hippie
    Domestic_Hippie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I do log cleaning. My husband does almost all of the general cleaning of the house, even laundry and dishes haha So when I do clean, it is deep cleaning such as scrubbing floors, windows and walls.

ETA: It is his choice to do the cleaning, he loves to spoil me <3 If he ever needs help, I would do it.
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I log the calories I burn rolling my eyes.

I like you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    just one of the numerous ways people cheat themselves out of successful weight loss and then come back and say, "I'm doing everything right and nothing is happening. Also, a lot of people for whatever reason seem to fail to realize that just breathing burns calories...when you're sleeping, you're burning calories, etc.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I do log cleaning. My husband does almost all of the general cleaning of the house, even laundry and dishes haha So when I do clean, it is deep cleaning such as scrubbing floors, windows and walls.

ETA: It is his choice to do the cleaning, he loves to spoil me <3 If he ever needs help, I would do it.

I am the same...I log when doing the deep cleaning that makes me work up a sweat, but not doing dishes or everyday vacuuming.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    just one of the numerous ways people cheat themselves out of successful weight loss and then come back and say, "I'm doing everything right and nothing is happening. Also, a lot of people for whatever reason seem to fail to realize that just breathing burns calories...when you're sleeping, you're burning calories, etc.

I agree. I generally only count actual physical exercise that is over and above my normal daily activities. I have logged things like cleaning the garage because I actually worked hard. However, I only logged about a quarter of the actual time.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I use the "cleaning, light effort" quite often but when I've used it, it's because I've either been literally scrubbing the bathroom with a scrubbrush or other above the norm cleaning activities (we did a "spring cleaning" in winter a few weeks ago and literally gutted pantries, closets, etc) and I usually only log about half the time I've actually worked or less. I also use it when I'm at work hauling boxes of materials, cleaning the "giveaway" area and other things that aren't things I do daily - right now we're preparing for a big conference so that's been a lot!

I saw the 'brushing teeth' and 'ironing' on a counter earlier today and it made me giggle. I was also almost curious enough to see what it said if I put in info but ended up not bothering. :)
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I think whether people are eating back their calories is a more important part than if they're logging everyday activities in the first place. Some people on my friend list log talking on the phone, but they don't eat those back. If your friends do and they wonder why they can't lose, you can help them out right there.
  • cngeike
    cngeike Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. I always think to myself "well, weren't you cleaning the house and doing meal preparation when you became overweight? "

I put meal prep because I am a lunch lady, I push a cart up and down a hall way because our school doesn't have a cafeteria, so excuse me but I know I burn calories preparing food for 600 kids, and lifting milk crates, and walking around pushing carts, and serving kids. I never put the whole time I am there but do put about 1 hour in because I feel I deserve that when I am pushing 50lb -100lb carts. Also people who don't clean the same thing daily and who get down and dirty now and then should be able to put that in.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. I always think to myself "well, weren't you cleaning the house and doing meal preparation when you became overweight? "

Not that I disagree with the premise of "silly to log simple/daily activities", but this logic is a little skewed. If someone was doing yoga (for example) while they were overweight, before they joined the site, should they not include that as their exercise? I just don't see the reasoning behind this statement, though I do agree that some things are just ridiculous to log.

But you don't know who is going it, or what their activity level is set at. Or maybe they're just "testing" to find out what their true TDEE is. Who knows?

I do log cleaning when I do a big job that is not part of my daily routine. Like scrubbing floors on my hands and knees (still sore from that!), or washing all the windows, or moving furniture... something that I don't do every day. I don't count vacuuming, washing dishes, wiping down counters, dusting, etc. Just the "big" stuff that isn't in my normal activity.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options

I put meal prep because I am a lunch lady, I push a cart up and down a hall way because our school doesn't have a cafeteria, so excuse me but I know I burn calories preparing food for 600 kids, and lifting milk crates, and walking around pushing carts, and serving kids. I never put the whole time I am there but do put about 1 hour in because I feel I deserve that when I am pushing 50lb -100lb carts. Also people who don't clean the same thing daily and who get down and dirty now and then should be able to put that in.

But then wouldn't that be under a different kind of exercise? Because the cals involved in "meal prep" (chopping, stirring, etc) are going to be way different than pushing a 50-100lb meal cart down long hallways...
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options

This explains why my wife is always angry when I tell her I'm going golfing.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

This explains why my wife is always angry when I tell her I'm going golfing.

:). I will be thinking something totally different now if my hubby says he wants to go golfing.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My husband does most of the cleaning and I only really do any vacuming on days off. I work, he works looking after the kids. I don't log it because it helps catch up with my work related calories. I also don't log if I walk to the shops down the road. That's a daily thing for me. I could log doing the laundry, up and down the stairs carry stuff. I don't yet. I would log mowing lawns if we had one or if mum and dad needed help with theirs. Possibly when we next move, i'll log that clean . It will be masive. I wouldn't log brushing my teeth.....
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I found that now I am in maintenance mode I have to log the big cleaning days where I scrub floors and clean windows and eat the calories back as it triggers another weight loss if I don't.

I also have to log gardening, going for an extra walk with the dog, surfing and taking my 16 year old daughter clothes shopping (OMG this is an all day affair where I walk the equivalent distance as an 18 hole round of golf) as they are outside of my normal calculated daily activity level which includes my exercise routine.
  • cngeike
    cngeike Posts: 305 Member
    Options

But then wouldn't that be under a different kind of exercise? Because the cals involved in "meal prep" (chopping, stirring, etc) are going to be way different than pushing a 50-100lb meal cart down long hallways...

Possibly but I prep food too, chop, stir, serve. So I just plop it all together. I had to put my calorie intake at 1200 a day because nothing was working and I was staying the same in the fall. (I had lost 16lb but gained a lot back at Christmas. BAH. Anyhow, so this month I put that I wasn't active and that seems to help
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Oh! So that's how Tiger Woods got into trouble...

LOL!