Serious Plateau! HELP!

Options
Well, since April 13, 2012, I have lost 85lbs, but recently, well the last month and a half, I have not lost any weight. I am stuck. I have been working out like crazy at least 6 times a week, burning at least 700+ calories daily and eating around 1200-1300 calories a day. I am doing cardio (zumba, step, water aerobics) and strength training as well. I'm not sure what else to do and why I am not losing any weight. I don't feel or notice that I am losing any inches either. Clothes fit the same, for the exception of a tiny bit less of a bulge on my belly.

Anyone have any ideas? Words of advice? Anything!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• donnamfreitagross
    Options
    your probably not consuming enough calories, did you update your stats?
  • salmonmama
    salmonmama Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I definitely think you should eat more. Even in my first weeks of MFP, I thought 1200 was way low (netting 800-900 with workouts).

Have you calculated your TDEE and BMR?

I used this post to help reevaluate my calorie goals:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them
  • donnamfreitagross
    Options
    according to what you posted your at most consuming 600 calories a day, that is not near enough, your body needs good calories just to function.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    workout more and eat more
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you are burning at least 700 calories per workout, only eating 1200-1300 calories is not enough. Increase your calorie intake, eat more! Change the setting to lose only 1 lb. per week. Also, search the "eat more to weigh less" threads. That should give you some ideas as well. Good luck!
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    and by workout i mean weights not cardio
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Relax, and just wait it out. Wight loss is not linear, it spikes and troughs naturally. The worst thing you can do though is throw in the towel and quit, because usually the end of the "trough" is only a few days around the corner. I was stuck in a plateau for three months, and I just waited it out, and when my body was ready, I lost 13 more pounds in four months. You can't force it, you'll just drive yourself nuts.
  • juggz212
    Options
    and by workout i mean weights not cardio
    This
  • emills1970
    emills1970 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Relax, and just wait it out. Wight loss is not linear, it spikes and troughs naturally. The worst thing you can do though is throw in the towel and quit, because usually the end of the "trough" is only a few days around the corner. I was stuck in a plateau for three months, and I just waited it out, and when my body was ready, I lost 13 more pounds in four months. You can't force it, you'll just drive yourself nuts.

I need to hear more stories like this! :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating back those 700 workout calories, I'd say under eating is likely the problem. I found this topic to be very helpful in setting my calorie goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great info in there.
  • juggz212
    Options
    by wait it out I hope you mean do work! FORCE your body out of the plateau! Switch up your routine if you must, but by no means do you wait to start losing weight again
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating back those 700 workout calories, I'd say under eating is likely the problem. I found this topic to be very helpful in setting my calorie goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great info in there.
    You are not eating enough. Read this link and you WILL succeed.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!! I agree you are not eating enough calories. I was told the same thing and when I increased, I started to lose again. I did the BMR calculator on MFP and actually it says I should eat more than a different calculator I used. I split the difference but if I hit another plateau, I will increase. Also don't focus on the pounds loss right now, focus on inches. Muscle weighs more than fat and I am sure with as much working out you are doing, you are toning. Celebrate the success!
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    A person should burn 2000 calories a week, excessive burns will cause free radical productions which are harmful to the body.
    source this *kitten*.
  • holapaola7
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback, I thought I might be eating too few calories because of my workouts, but it worked at first, so I had stuck with it. I will definitely refigure my daily calorie intake and try switching up my workouts.

I'm in no way giving up! I have a goal to meet and I will get there!
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

Check out calorie staggering if completely upping your calories by a few hundred sounds hard for you.
  • mommamellymac
    mommamellymac Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This is the best thing I've read! It helps you figure out your TDEE! Now that you weigh less, and have done WONDERFULLY btw, you can refigure everything out!!

good luck!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback, I thought I might be eating too few calories because of my workouts, but it worked at first, so I had stuck with it. I will definitely refigure my daily calorie intake and try switching up my workouts.

I'm in no way giving up! I have a goal to meet and I will get there!
    If that's what you did, then chances are you lost quite a bit of lean muscle at the same time, which would lower your metabolic rate and eventually stop weight loss in it's tracks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition