tips for flat stomachs.

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm relatively new to mfp and was hoping on some advice from people who know what they're talking about
my tummy is my `problem area` and I would like to know some exercises perfect to tone this area.
I know the obvious ones like sit ups and the plank but just wondered if there was any more out there I don't know?
thanks in advance guys :)

Replies

• cz52
    cz52 Posts: 7
    Options
    there are apps you can add on your phone ipad or computer.......... its called workout trainer. i just started on here, with my calories and all and im doing the same ....tummy tummy tummy........... this exercising has atleast helped me gain any weight.....and im a major major eater
  • cz52
    cz52 Posts: 7
    Options
    i meant........... i have not gained any weight........ and their are alot of exercises
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can't really target an area like that. You can strengthen your core/ab muscles by doing body weight exercises, crunches, plank, etc but it won't spot reduce. I know this is the fitness section, but there's a good saying--"abs are made in the kitchen." You need to do cardio to lose fat, but there's nothing wrong with strengthening those abs at the same time. Combine that with a good diet and as you lose fat, your abs will start to show.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I started a program yesterday designed to work your abs specifically. Jackie Warner I believe does the video. There are 2 fifteen minute sessions. It kicked my butt! I already call her the ab nazi amoung other things but have added it into my workout rotation through mid-February at least.
  • clhous03
    Options
    I don't know if this works for everyone, but it has absolutely worked for me and it's really, really simple. I've always been heavy, but I never had a belly until I hit my 30s. My doctor made a suggestion when I complained, I tried it, and was shocked at how quickly the belly was gone. Here goes, just two words: NO BREAD. I definitely still need exercise for toning, but just getting rid of bread completely deflated the belly I had. Best of luck!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's a diet thing, not an exercise thing. Stay in calorie deficit. Work out. You will lose the fat. Eventually it will come off your stomach.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Reduce your body fat through diet, cardio and lifting. You can do 30-60 mins of "Ab workouts" all you want but it won't produce the results you are seeking. You can't target a specific area.
  • clairehepple72
    clairehepple72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My stomach disappeared by just cutting out white carbs, pasta, bread, cakes oh and sugar.....they all bloat your stomach out. Within the first week my stomach had started to disappear. I am now doing sit ups to try and tone what is left (and there is still alot). The only way to get rid of the mid rift is cardio exercise and that takes time and patience oh and dedication!!
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    You can't really target an area like that. You can strengthen your core/ab muscles by doing body weight exercises, crunches, plank, etc but it won't spot reduce. I know this is the fitness section, but there's a good saying--"abs are made in the kitchen." You need to do cardio to lose fat, but there's nothing wrong with strengthening those abs at the same time. Combine that with a good diet and as you lose fat, your abs will start to show.
    ^^^This^^^
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Its all diet and nothing else. Of course the exercises will help define the abs later on if you wish, but not until the fat on top is gone. Your much better working your major muscles with some type of cardio and cut down on the simple carbs(white breads/pasta).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It's a diet thing, not an exercise thing. Stay in calorie deficit. Work out. You will lose the fat. Eventually it will come off your stomach.

^^yep
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    fork put downs and dish push aways.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You could mount your ipad in front of you, under your shirt. Other than that, see above for real answers,
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^^yep

Agree
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    QFT

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The way to have a flat stomach is to have low body fat percentage. The best way to accomplish THAT is eating at a reasonable deficit for a long period of time while incorporating strength training. Certain things will also make you bloat in the stomach area even when you don't have fat there, so find foods that do this to you (some people are sensitive to gluten and/or dairy) and keep your sodium intake low.
  • Jadetaft
    Options
    thanks for all the tips guys it seems like I' m on the way then. I' m losing weight through healthy diet and exercise, I' 've cut breads and pastas and I'm doing exercise 5 Times a week so hopefully it will show as I carry on. I have lost a couple of inches I just wanted to know if there are any other specific exercises for the abs I could do to mix it up a bit:)
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    I don't know if this works for everyone, but it has absolutely worked for me and it's really, really simple. I've always been heavy, but I never had a belly until I hit my 30s. My doctor made a suggestion when I complained, I tried it, and was shocked at how quickly the belly was gone. Here goes, just two words: NO BREAD. I definitely still need exercise for toning, but just getting rid of bread completely deflated the belly I had. Best of luck!

Ha seriously?! I noticed the same thing and thought it was in my head but on the days I eat bread or the days after I eat bread my abs dont show and I feel more bloated!!!!
  • clhous03
    Options
    My belly was like a balloon with the air let out. We joke about it at home and call it "The Incredible Shrinking Tummy." lol Yup, just bread.
  • Jadetaft
    Options
    I had a go at the davina exercise DVD last night and she does alot of different kinds of abdominal exercises so that's me sorted :) I used to bloat from bread too. I love bread an would eat it everyday my saying was always everything tastes better in between bread an butter with a helping of mayo... can't do that any more though and feel better for it